Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectA Dangerous Method (2011, Croenenberg)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=583142
583142, A Dangerous Method (2011, Croenenberg)
Posted by bwood, Wed Oct-05-11 06:27 PM
I did a search for this shit too and found nothing. It's good for what it is. I'm sure people are gonna eat this shit up which is cool. The best thing about this is Michael Fassbender (of course) and Keria Knightly (surprise!). Interesting story and well executed. Everyone in my overbooked audience ate it up. I found it to be just good.
588862, No one else has seen this yet?
Posted by bwood, Thu Nov-17-11 10:08 PM
This motherfucker drops next week...
588919, haven't decided yet if I want to see it
Posted by Duval Spit, Fri Nov-18-11 12:18 PM
It just seems kinda... dull.
588922, yea it does
Posted by SankofaII, Fri Nov-18-11 12:32 PM
I want to see it...

but Keira Knightley as a Russian temptress...NO.

so this maybe a Netflix rental...

I am happy that this, Melancholia, The Descendants and a few other oscar bait type films are all opening here between today and next wednesday...

I'll be a movie watching fiend when I come back from thanksgiving holiday with the parents.
588923, It really is at points n/m
Posted by bwood, Fri Nov-18-11 12:46 PM
597266, Fantastic.
Posted by denny, Sat Jan-28-12 08:23 PM
Loved it. Wasn't expecting it to have a strong comedic thing happening. Cronenberg is really on a roll imo....the last 3 films he's done represent the best period of his career.

I did pause the movie a couple times....there were parts when I wanted the story to slow down. So many nuances to follow....gonna have to see it again.

Need to qualify my observations cause I have very little background knowledge in psychoanalysis....but it definitely felt that Cronenberg was making a sort of tragic comedy here....or at least pointing out the tragic comedy in the events. The 'experts' of 'psychic health' thrown into a tabloidesque sex scandal. Emmersed in the very behavior they seek to cure. For all their rationalization and analysis....they still behave the same way that everyone else does.

I sense that Cronenberg is accusing them of being unknowingly fraudulant. Except for Freud....he's perfectly aware.
597278, Drama on the set!
Posted by denny, Sun Jan-29-12 12:16 AM
Apparently Viggo and Fassbender don't like each other.

I think something is wrong with Viggo.

Drops a couple subtle remarks but lights it up at 10:00 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY31_CUf5_o

Then Fassbender responds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsWPyZg64oM&feature=related

597323, I have no idea what you're talking about
Posted by dunk, Sun Jan-29-12 02:43 PM
I think you may have read too much into their Viggo's comments.

After having watched both interviews, I got the impression that Viggo made a joke about Michael because the joke in the email he sent to Michael never got through. Michael mentioned something about an email.

In all, the joke seemed like a playful jab and nothing more. Plus I'm pretty sure Viggo knew Michael would be on the show a couple days later to react so it was the perfect set-up.

597324, I saw this a few weeks ago
Posted by dunk, Sun Jan-29-12 02:50 PM
I found the film to be much better than I anticipated. The trailer seemed to heighten this kind of melodrama which I didn't find present in my viewing. Also, I thought the relationship between Jung and Sabina would dominate the film but spacing of each discussion between Freud and Jung built a good anticipation and every one of their scenes together very compelling.

Keira Knightley being involved worried me but her performance grew on me and became better as the story unfolded.

Michael Fassbender and Viggo Mortenson were great throughout, especially Viggo. I'm surprised he didn't receive an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor. It seemed like fully became Freud and dominated each scene with a very subtle delivery of dialogue and expression.

Any Cronenberg fans, people interested in psychoanalysis- pretty much anyone can find something engaging in this film.
597356, It's a solid 'B+' but it never compels imo.
Posted by dgonsh, Sun Jan-29-12 07:13 PM
at no point was i absolutely invested in any of the plot points. any scene with Viggo or Vincent was a standout, but really I didnt find the movie as compelling as it could/should have been.

i mean the subject matter is certainly there.

it is a very solid watch though.
597435, I thought this was great.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jan-30-12 09:34 AM
Knightley gives her best performance ever. What great physical work from her.

Fassbender and Mortensen (and Cassel) are also terrific. It's just a smartly-written, simply filmed flick.

I did feel the passages of time were sometimes unclear-- it's hard to make a film cover so much time without the burden of exposition, and they did *okay* dealing with that issue.

Still, if you want to see a film about compulsion for sex, see this instead of Shame.