Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectTower Heist (Ratner): Stiller, Murphy, C.Affleck, Broderick, Alda, Leoni
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=574302
574302, Tower Heist (Ratner): Stiller, Murphy, C.Affleck, Broderick, Alda, Leoni
Posted by bignick, Thu Jul-28-11 12:34 PM
and Sidibe

http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/hot-trailer-tower-heist/
574322, nice cast...
Posted by forgivenphoenix, Thu Jul-28-11 01:41 PM
the trailer didn't do much for me. i guess he (Ratner) got attached to this because of the similarities to Rush Hour (hapless people trying to pull off something really difficult (Chris Tucker acting like a cop))

But the individual characters at the building seemed too similar pull off any tension comedically. i'm kinda rambling at this point, but i just don't see there being enough flavor in the movie for this to work well. at least Eddie is doing adult flicks again tho.
574666, Not impressed. Would rather have seen it with Martin, Chris, etc.
Posted by icecold21, Mon Aug-01-11 01:43 PM
At least Eddie's not making another kids movie, although I think this will be more "Showtime" or "I Spy" than BHC or 48 hrs.
579400, this is going be Eddies comeback movie!!!!!
Posted by southphillyman, Sun Sep-11-11 08:12 PM
amped
579677, The preview is pretty terrible
Posted by LA2Philly, Mon Sep-12-11 11:22 PM
581212, saw a preview screening
Posted by themaddfapper, Thu Sep-22-11 02:31 PM
Eddie was really funny. He's still got "it."
Jay Hernandez was funny
Stiller was funny in a relatively straight role.

Affleck and Broderick had their moments.

Alan Alda does smarmy like few other. He's fucking great.

Tea Leoni.Man. Funny and hot as fuck. Mr. Duchovny you are on notice. Slip if you want to.

Gabourey Siddibe was aight. The Jafakin accent she was running around with worked my last nerve. Yardies are gonna be pissed.

Overall, B. Decent time. Dunno if this will be the final theatrical cut.
581248, I had a pass to see the preview today
Posted by nipsey, Thu Sep-22-11 06:07 PM
Didn't go cause I had to work. Who has a screening at 11:30am? WTF?
586578, anyone else see the billboards and think eddie was charlie?
Posted by Mynoriti, Sun Oct-30-11 04:24 PM
587432, Or that Ben and Eddie were opening a Cash 4 Gold business?
Posted by buckshot defunct, Sat Nov-05-11 06:58 PM
>
587378, Plot holes up the wazoo, but still funny and entertaining
Posted by ZooTown74, Fri Nov-04-11 06:15 PM
Don't expect a wall-to-wall Eddie Murphy fest, as he doesn't really show up until about the 40-minute mark

But he was still funny, although I suspect fake armchair activists will be upset about the return of Con Man Eddie

I also thought that Stiller was fine as long as he stuck to the straight man role... but he got annoying when he started his usual comic mugging

Michael Pena (not Jay Hernandez) was also quite funny, but to me the scene stealer was Matthew Broderick

Alan Alda was also fine as the bad guy, and Tea was fine for her plug-in role

I didn't think Gabby had much to do but was okay

Aside from the plot/laws of physics issues I thought that every character aside from Stiller and Alda was a nitwit... a lot of laughs were generated from that idea, and this kind of comedy doesn't call for character development, but it was still a thought that dawned on me as I watched

I was entertained, though. Brett Ratner's direction didn't annoy me as much as it usually does, so that was a plus...

But yeah, Ed was quite funny... I know some of yous won't be happy until he's up there screaming "motherfucker" every other word (HARD R, SON!!!!!) and doing that laugh of his (which he says he can't really do anymore), but this PG-13 Eddie was fine just the same...

Posted by hateur, Sun Nov-06-11 10:41 PM
I kept thinking "This can't be easy filming during a parade."

Ben and Eddie in the dangling car was impressive too.

Overall the movie was cool. Fluff but cool.

Nice seeing Eddie back to being Eddie.
587531, It was decent.
Posted by xbenzive, Mon Nov-07-11 05:49 AM
I wish it was a hard R. I can see a bit of old Eddie but overall the film is somewhat unforgettable. Everyone held their own though. I too was impress with the directing. I actually liked the serious aspect of the story more than the comedy. Don't know why? I wanted to get the know the characters more.
587545, I enjoyed it.
Posted by come on people, Mon Nov-07-11 10:10 AM
It was funny when it was supposed to be funny, the stunts were appropriately thrilling, and overall it was a fun ride with a great payoff. Everybody hit their marks and it was, thankfully, pretty fast-paced. Also, kudos for the plot not being hackneyed. I'd give it a solid A-/B+
587572, wow, I gotta be honest, I'm surprised how well it's being received.
Posted by spades, Mon Nov-07-11 12:32 PM
I might have to catch this on a matinee....
587580, There's a lot going against it, starting with Mr. Brett Ratner
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Nov-07-11 12:52 PM
There are directors, and then there are traffic managers

People here are giving him credit for managing traffic

Which does not necessarily mean he's a good director

And like I said about the movie itself, there are gaping plot holes and logic questions throughout, some of which may or may not be attributable to cutting for time

That said, the movie is still entertaining in spite of itself, and the fact that Eddie's only in it for the last hour or so, mainly because of the solid work from Eddie, Matthew Broderick, and (to a degree) Stiller

A matinee is actually the perfect call

Posted by rdhull, Mon Nov-07-11 01:14 PM
>I might have to catch this on a matinee....

Don't pay full price for this piece of shit with Eddie simply doing a hood version of donkey.

---------------------------------
'I love to watch him dance. It's almost like watching a cat clean itself or something.'(c) Drugs regarding Prince
587584, The little film that could
Posted by Shelly, Mon Nov-07-11 01:35 PM
it was very entertaining,good family flick. BUT umm Eddie Murphy playing a role Charlie Murphy has mastered over the years!?!?! I wish they had cast Charlie it would have been 10x funnier.

Shit happens
587664, it REALLY had the potential to be a pretty awesome movie.
Posted by jswerve386, Tue Nov-08-11 03:48 AM
that ending was a piece of shit though. In the hands of a competent director this movie could have been awesome. I hate movies where it just seems like its a rush to end. WTF happened to all of the characters at the end? What happened with Eddies character? Broderick? fuck!!@##

just a disappointment.
589565, Asi asi
Posted by lfresh, Fri Nov-25-11 11:13 AM
It was black market
It was a room full of talkative family

But I notice we will shut up for a good movie

With that it did inspire a long discussion on how to off load that gold
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
599047, therein lies the problem...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Sat Feb-11-12 10:20 PM
..'cause you're not gettin' that gold out of there in less than an hour

the cast was surprisingly bearable in this film. too bad the story was weak ass hell.

..and miles to go before i sleep...
602123, RE: Tower Heist (Ratner): Stiller, Murphy, C.Affleck, Broderick, Alda, Leoni
Posted by maternalbliss, Thu Mar-08-12 11:32 PM
It has a few moments but is just not that good overall.
Grade C

624578, Wait, did they just give up at the end of this movie? SPOILERS
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Sep-03-12 10:24 AM
Movie was going pretty good until the end of the movie but they painted themselves into a corner with the heist with the car in the elevator having me wonder how the heck would they get the car out the building? Did I miss something but how did the car end up in the pool? And how did they get back in to get it?

"naive as the dry leaves on the ground looking past the trees to the blue sky asking 'why me?'" -Blu
624668, Movies like this really piss me off
Posted by OldPro, Tue Sep-04-12 12:12 PM
Just the idea there are people who get paid to bring shit like this to the screen is offensive to anyone with even a half ounce of common sense.

If you think being gay is a choice, you've considered it.
624744, It was strange to me because the ending was totally fixable
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Sep-05-12 09:13 AM
Okay they couldn't pull the heist off with the car but when Ben Stiller found the hidden records (nevermind it was implausible that no one would find it hidden in the glove compartment) he could have had one of those John Grisham moments where he is able to negotiate everything he wanted for his people from the government before turning over the book.

"naive as the dry leaves on the ground looking past the trees to the blue sky asking 'why me?'" -Blu
624828, Son, they had a gold drive shaft
Posted by OldPro, Thu Sep-06-12 11:50 AM
so dude had the entire car, working parts and all, made of gold *rolls eyes*

wasn't nothing about that mess fixable... had it been even a little bit funny that might have counted for something.

Just a total mess... par for the Eddie course

If you think being gay is a choice, you've considered it.
624760, Fuck that, movies like this excite me.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Sep-05-12 11:33 AM
Because I know that on my worst day I can write something better than this.
624766, prove it
Posted by cereffusion, Wed Sep-05-12 01:04 PM
630957, Awful
Posted by Ceej, Thu Nov-15-12 03:12 PM