Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRango (Verbinski, 2011)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=557318
557318, Rango (Verbinski, 2011)
Posted by ZooTown74, Sat Mar-05-11 04:17 PM
Longo says it is better than The Adjustment Bureau

I may go see this instead of that

twitter.com/LetsStay2Gether

also on Facebook

I WILL NOT LET YOU FORGET IT
557339, Awesome, hilarious movie.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Mar-06-11 11:00 AM
Very trippy and strange. Hysterical character design and perfect send-up of Westerns. It succeeds in parodying while also fitting snugly into the genre, which I loved.

Best movie easily so far this year.
557371, Saw this shit on Monday...not a kid's movie.
Posted by bwood, Sun Mar-06-11 03:25 PM
But yea Longo's right best movie of the year so far.
557421, Awesomely weird
Posted by mrshow, Mon Mar-07-11 04:00 AM
I have no idea how this movie got made.
557461, Odd but great.
Posted by xbenzive, Mon Mar-07-11 10:36 AM
I actually saw parents take their kids out after 20 minutes in. Right away, I thought to myself, this is not a kids film. It's not like Shrek, it doesn't cater to both young and old, but instead the only thing that's worthy for kids is the slapstick from certain scenes and the characters, although some look very creepy. I have to say that this film looks beautiful even with it's somber and bleak look. The character designs are so detailed, I though they were mask. Also the environments were awesome looking. Everyone did an awesome job in the voice acting. Very unrecognizable for most of the characters, especially for Mr. Depp.
557586, It's alot like Fantastic Mr Fox...
Posted by mrshow, Mon Mar-07-11 05:39 PM
in that it has its own unique tone and pace.
557608, I agree with all the positive reviews...
Posted by Mole, Mon Mar-07-11 08:24 PM
... I went in with no expectations really and came out fully impressed. And yeah, it's really not a kids movie, unless references to Sergio Leone, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and Chinatown and jokes about prostates, mammograms and Kim Novak are suddenly popular among the grade school set these days. In fact, it's SO not for kids I'm surprised they didn't go full-tilt and just market it toward adults, or something more in the PG-13 range.
557613, good news, i can put Bureau at the bottom of my drive-ins list
Posted by araQual, Mon Mar-07-11 08:58 PM
and my guess for how it got made is that Pirates made a bajillion dollars so they let Verbinski make watever he wanted? just a guess. GLAD it's getting such good reviews, my man Depp was gettin kinda iffy ("The Tourist"? and that Pirates 4 movies looks like complete ass).

V.
558217, definitely worth seein
Posted by LES, Sat Mar-12-11 08:18 PM
558245, it's for adults and kids....
Posted by Calico, Sun Mar-13-11 02:49 PM
my niece and nephew (9 & 8) loved it....it's an animated western, and a damn good one at that...i don't know why people keep saying it's an odd/wierd movie....i was a lil bored in the beginning, but i started to really enjoy it after about 20 mins in....

...the movie did remind me of The Fantastic Mr Fox in that it had it's own sense of humor, quirkyness, and dialogue...
558273, *hugs goldfish*
Posted by The_Red_Ninja_Turtle, Sun Mar-13-11 09:54 PM
I enjoyed it a lot, very funny.
599392, Great piece on Verbinski's influences for Rango
Posted by mrshow, Wed Feb-15-12 12:51 AM
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/rango-director-gore-verbinski-reveals-his-top-ten-inspirations-of-his-oscar-contending-animated-film

This movie looks INCREDIBLE on blu ray btw.