Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRecommend a film from the TCM February Schedule.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=552384
552384, Recommend a film from the TCM February Schedule.
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sat Jan-29-11 01:54 PM
PTP PICKS FROM THE FEBRUARY TCM SCHEDULE (so far . . . add on)

Feb. 03: A Streetcar Named Desire (Sponge)
Feb. 04: The Lion in Winter (The_Red_Ninja_Turtle)
Feb. 05: Othello (Wordman)
Feb. 06: Sunrise (Duval Spit)
Feb. 09: Some Came Running (CaptNish)
Feb. 14: The Treasure of Sierra Madre (DJ007)
Feb. 15: Black Orpheus (lfresh)
Feb. 15: Hannah and Her Sisters (UncleClimax)
Feb. 21: Pygmalion (Harlepolis)
Feb. 24: Dodsworth (ricky_BUTLER)
Feb. 25: Bonnie and Clyde (ZooTown74)

This list will be edited as more suggestions are made.

Original post:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.jsp?startDate=02/01/2011&timezone=EST&cid=N

Switch to monthly view once at TCM site.

How to:

1. Browse the schedule.
2. Pick just one film to recommend (that isn't already recommended within post).
3. Put the film's title and year of release in the subject space of your reply.
4. Name the director.
5. List one or two notable cast members.
6. Include the day TCM is scheduled to play it.
7. Give 10-20 words on why it's recommended.

And then maybe other people will be hooked to watch it and drop a couple comments later. And then maybe discussion will follow. And then maybe the world will be a better place for our children to live.
552385, Dodsworth (1936)
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sat Jan-29-11 01:55 PM
Director: William Wyler
Cast: Walter Huston
Scheduled on: Feb. 24
Recommended because: Huston gives the greatest pre-Brando performance. Mature / fully-realized characterizations examine what it means to finally live the life you want.
552389, Some Came Running (1959)
Posted by CaptNish, Sat Jan-29-11 02:45 PM
Dir: Vincente Minnelli.
Cast: Frank Sinatra, Shirley MacLaine, Dean Martin.
Scheduled on: Feb 9th
Recommended because: Quality film all around, but one of the few times you get to see Frank and Dean on screen actually putting in work, and not just acting like they're on vacation. Shirley is amazing in this as well.
552391, Worth watching for the closing carnival scene alone.
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sat Jan-29-11 03:09 PM
Plus, a lovelorn Frank Sinatra and his relationship with the Professor's daughter deviates nicely from what one might assume of a love story plot line in a Sinatra movie.
552411, damn good choice here
Posted by Mynoriti, Sat Jan-29-11 08:44 PM
552397, Pygmalion (1939)
Posted by Harlepolis, Sat Jan-29-11 03:54 PM
Starring: Leslie Howard & Wendy Hiller
Recommendation: Just do it. If you like George Bernard Shaw's literature, you'll love this since this is the most decent depiction of his work(IMO).

In fact, check ANY movie that came out of 1939 from that schedule and 9 times out of 10 you'll find a movie that you won't be sorry for watching. They didn't call it a "great year for motion pictures" for nothing, just try to avoid the ever-so-overexposed "Gone with the Wind" though lol.....

552400, Scheduled on February 21.
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sat Jan-29-11 04:59 PM
And not to be a jerk, but I think it came out '38, not '39.

Thanks for the recommendation either way. Never seen it, so it will definitely get the DVR treatment.
553362, RE: Scheduled on February 21.
Posted by Harlepolis, Fri Feb-04-11 05:39 AM
You're not a jerk lol I'm the one who got this info confused. For some reason I always thought it came out in '39. Anyway, let me know what you think after you watch it.
552398, The Treasure of Sierra Madre (1948)
Posted by DJ007, Sat Jan-29-11 04:23 PM
DIrector:John Huston
Cast: Humphrey Bogart, Walter Huston
Scheduled on Feb 14
Recommended because: I just always heard this film mentioned on people best films list so...shrugs...lol
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Sat Jan-29-11 05:03 PM
>Recommended because: I just always heard this film mentioned
>on people best films list so...shrugs...lol

More incentive for some people: its influence on PTP favorite There Will Be Blood.
552756, Damn this, here is my list...lol
Posted by DJ007, Mon Jan-31-11 09:46 PM
For Whom The Bell Tolls - Feb 3

Viva Zapata - Feb 6

Casablanca, The Treasure of Sierra Madre - Feb 14

The Last Metro - Feb 15

Black Orpheus - Feb 15

Feb 16- Grand Illusion,Lawrence of Arabia

Feb 17-Chariots of Fire

Feb 18- Do The Right Thing, Network

Feb 20-2001:A Space Odyssey, The Third Man

Feb22- The Red Balloon, The Defiant Ones, Amadeua

Feb 24- 8 1/2,La Strada, Doctor Zhivago

Feb 26- The Maltese Falcon, One Flew over The Cuckoo's Nest

Feb 27 - Annie Hall

Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Mon Jan-31-11 09:50 PM
I do it monthly for my own enjoyment, but I suggested one film per okp simply because a big long list of films from each of us might be too unwieldy to sort through for some.
552867, Viva Zapata question....
Posted by Duval Spit, Tue Feb-01-11 01:52 PM
I've got an issue.
I have an idea in my head of what this will be like,
and it isn't one I like.
I understand Kazan is a great "actor's" director,
and obviously Brando is a great actor,
but in their two collaborations I have seen (OTW and ASND) I wasn't terribly enthralled by the story. Yes, there were exciting elements in both,
but the focus was clearly on the acting.
I, unfortunately, need story.
My question to you then is:
Viva Zapata -
great movie
or
great acting movie?
If it's the latter it prolly will not make the cut this month for me.
552885, RE: Viva Zapata question....
Posted by Sponge, Tue Feb-01-11 03:32 PM
>I've got an issue.
>I have an idea in my head of what this will be like,
>and it isn't one I like.
>I understand Kazan is a great "actor's" director,
>and obviously Brando is a great actor,
>but in their two collaborations I have seen (OTW and ASND) I
>wasn't terribly enthralled by the story. Yes, there were
>exciting elements in both,
>but the focus was clearly on the acting.
>I, unfortunately, need story.

Lots of focus on story and theme, I thought in both. And it's clear Kazan was all about story and theme if you read his interviews. I mean if OTW is Kazan justifying naming names then how was the focus of the film not on story and theme? How is working to explore a character's motivations and goals not a focus on story? There are stories with a lot going on with little plot (OTW; ASND), and there are stories with a lot going on with a lot of plot (Hitchcock).

552405, i've got three but i'll start here
Posted by lfresh, Sat Jan-29-11 05:34 PM

15 Saturday

Black Orpheus (1959) - 8:00 PM
A streetcar conductor loses his true love during Brazil's carnival season. Cast: Breno Mello, Marpessa Dawn, Ademar da Silva. Dir: Marcel Camus. C-108 mins, TV-PG

This is the ultimate foreign classic film with a fantastic classic soundtrack(Stan Getz, Astrud Gilberto). It is based on the greek romantic tragedy legend Orpheus and Eurydice. If you have not seen it yet please make the time now to see the film that influenced damn near every artist you can think of it kick started the 50s bossa nova movement and brought the world to brazil.

If you have already seen it, see it again and rediscover its sumptuous aesthetic.
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
552406, this post is a good idea
Posted by Wordman, Sat Jan-29-11 07:38 PM

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams
552410, Bonnie and Clyde (1967)
Posted by ZooTown74, Sat Jan-29-11 08:43 PM
Director: Arthur Penn

Cast: Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway

Airing 2/25 @ 2:30am

Because it violently announced of the arrival of The New Hollywood: sex and violence merged with character depth to produce a revolutionary film experience. Hollywood hasn't been the same since; "True Romance" director Tony Scott owes Arthur Penn, Beatty, David Newman, Robert Benton, and Dede Allen royalties.

twitter.com/LetsStay2Gether

also on Facebook

I WILL NOT LET YOU FORGET IT
552427, any movie with blood or gunshots post-1967 owes royalties to B&C
Posted by Wordman, Sat Jan-29-11 11:16 PM

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams
552422, Wordman's TCM Movie of The Month Runners-Up
Posted by Wordman, Sat Jan-29-11 10:44 PM
So instead of doing it the way prescribed, here's what I'm gonna do: I'll post a bunch of my recommendations, and then post my favorite for the month. You know, first the nominations, then the winner. I'll be sure to list them in they order they air.
Word?
Word.

For some reason unbeknownst to me, TCM does an awesome job scheduling good movies in February. As weird as it sounds, February is my favorite month to watch TCM - all winners, all day. And 2011 is no exception. I've seen 70-80% of what they're showing this February, and they're all great. Here are some of my personal favorites.

WORDMAN'S TCM MOVIE OF THE MONTH - The Runners Up

THE THIN MAN (1934) - 1 February 11:15am
Hilarious husband and wife detective team. You wanna talk about great onscreen chemistry? William Powell and Myrna Loy are literally perfect together. The writing is sharp, the pacing fast, the action fun. Spawned three sequels. Oh, and for all you crossword fans: the dog's name is ASTA, it shows up on damn near every crossword puzzle.

Z (1969) - 9 February 11:00am
Perfectly executed political thriller. The prototype for every '70s socio-political flick, but few if any top how well this one is made. Great music too.

ROBIN AND THE 7 HOODS (1964) - 10 February 5:00am
My favorite Rat Pack movie, because it includes the incomparable Bing Crosby. You know what you're in for when you watch a Sinatra/Martin/Davis flick, but come on - how can't you love it? They only make the movie so they could hang out, and it's worth every minute.

CAT BALLOU (1965) - 12 February 2:45am
One of the more underrated westerns. Jane Fonda's not as bad in it as you might think, but eff her - watch it to see the incomparable Lee Marvin play two different roles to great effect.

THE PHILADELPHIA STORY (1940) - 14 February 4:00pm
One of the ten funniest movies ever made. A young Jimmy Stewart is a reporter at Katharine Hepburn's upcoming wedding when her ex-husband Cary Grant shows up. They just don't make movies this perfect anymore - and after watching it, you'll agree. One of the best scripts ever written, wonderfully performed.

AMERICAN BEAUTY (1999) - 18 February 2:15am
The last great movie of the 20th century - arguably one of its best. Every performance in this movie is Oscar worthy. Sam Mendes, in his directing debut, displays the kind of sure-handedness envied by filmmakers with twice his resume. And you probably won't find a better script in the past 10-15 years, and there definitely hasn't been a good script to get better performances.

THE THIRD MAN (1949) - 20 February 3:15pm
My favorite movie of all time. There isn't a post big enough for me to explain all the reasons I love this. Suffice to say, Orson Welles has never been better, Joseph Cotton never more endearing, and the cinematography is THE BEST BLACK & WHITE CINEMATOGRAPHY IN ALL OF CINEMA - I defy you to find better!

A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM (1935) - 22 February 4:30am
From a film history perspective, this movie was HUGE. Was probably the first Hollywood movie to really display what the medium can do. The visuals are quite sincerely some of the best ever filmed, and you would be suprised to see just how much of the movie holds up and exceeds current standards.

AMADEUS (1984) - 22 February 10:00pm
Those who know me have a pretty good idea on why I like this movie, but that notwithstanding - it's a great movie. One of the very few films worth all the accolades it received and more. You don't have to be fan of classical music to enjoy it. The performances are pitch perfect, and it has to be one of the most gorgeous movies ever shot.

YOU WERE NEVER LOVELIER (1942) - 23 February 12:30pm
A fun little musical-comedy, it's one of the very few to feature South American big bands, in this case the legendary Xavier Cugat. Fred Astaire's as charming as ever, and Rita Hayworth - as the title suggests - has never been lovelier. This movie also features what I call "the most important cane toss in film history", see it for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr99S312kD4&feature=related

8 1/2 (1963) - 24 February 6:00am
I'm really hard pressed to explain the genius of this movie, it's one of the few that escape me. I'll say this: like the best films, it finds a way under your skin and stays there. It's a Fellini movie, so explaining its plot is sort of a moot exercise. I really think his work is best seen with as little knowledge as possible. I'll say this: the movie has earned its reputation.

THE MALTESE FALCON (1941) - 26 February 3:30pm
Oh man, what a fun movie! I'd argue it is the quintessential hard-boiled detective film. So many great performances, such great writing. After watching it, you'll know why it's one of the greatest. There's just too many great components to pick just one.

But all that said, Wordman's pick for TCM Movie Of The Month is...

552775, One of my favorite movies ever
Posted by The_Red_Ninja_Turtle, Mon Jan-31-11 11:35 PM
>THE PHILADELPHIA STORY (1940) - 14 February 4:00pm
>One of the ten funniest movies ever made. A young Jimmy
>Stewart is a reporter at Katharine Hepburn's upcoming wedding
>when her ex-husband Cary Grant shows up. They just don't make
>movies this perfect anymore - and after watching it, you'll
>agree. One of the best scripts ever written, wonderfully
>performed.
552898, so many classic lines
Posted by Wordman, Tue Feb-01-11 04:24 PM

552426, Wordman's TCM Movie Of The Month winner - OTHELLO
Posted by Wordman, Sat Jan-29-11 11:07 PM
WORDMAN'S TCM MOVIE OF THE MONTH WINNER

OTHELLO (1965) - 5 February 7:15am
Man oh man oh man, where to start?
Laurence Olivier stars as Othello...yeah, that's right, take a minute to soak that in. The caucasian Englishman, in blackface, stars in a film version of his famous London stage production.
Here's the problem - he's really good in it. I mean, REALLY REALLY good in it. Olivier puts a lot of famous actors to shame in this. Here's a sentence I didn't expect to say: I haven't seen a better Othello than Laurence Olivier (and I love me some Furious Styles!). By Act II, you're sucked in. The man is that good. His performance of Othello is so heartaching, so heartwrenching, it's amazing. He's the kind of actor that makes other actors get out of the way - right down to the blocking. Watch how by Act III his co-stars take cover and let him take the stage as if he were a tornado ripping through the countryside. It's truly one of the more astounding performances.
There's surprisingly few film performances of Maggie Smith when she was younger, so you definitely want to catch her as the hanky-losing Desdemona (Wordman's "Real rap" moment: "Bitch, if I give you my Grandmammy's handky - know where that shit is at all times!").
The look of the movie should probably be explained: they went for a "film the stage production" model. Before you groan ("Who wants to watch a movie version of a play?"), this film is one of the few times it actually works.
WHY OTHELLO IS THIS MONTH'S WINNER: There are better movies on this month, and movies with arguably better performances, but none as ballsy to air on television.
The balls it takes to air this film during Black History Month - with a white man in the starring role! This movie wins WORDMAN'S TCM MOVIE OF THE MONTH on the strength of gutsy programming. So few television networks air anything with even the slightest hint of risk. So salute TCM for trying to start a dialogue - as well as show a great movie - by watching it this month.

552585, I'll be interested if they ever show the Welles "Othello"
Posted by Duval Spit, Mon Jan-31-11 12:18 AM
552899, I'll be honest with you
Posted by Wordman, Tue Feb-01-11 04:27 PM
I've never seen a film copy of any great quality.
Which is a shame, because he's one of the few filmmakers who deserved better technology than he had.

552584, Spit's Picks
Posted by Duval Spit, Mon Jan-31-11 12:17 AM
The Informer
John Ford
Victor mufuggin McLaglen
12 AM, February 28

Why? Cause it is John Ford (who won a DGA for this picture) doing his best Carol Reed impersonation, and it stars everybody's favorite Irish sidekick Victor McLaglen. Boring synopsis - Victor McLaglen rats out his buddies and then feels bad. But it works.

Amarcord
Federico Fellini
330 AM, February 24

Why? Cause you've prolly seen 81/2 already (which IS being shown directly after Amarcord). Boring synopsis - Young kid and friends run around small town Italy, raise juvenile hell, ogle hookers, and, of course since it's Fellini, check out a parade. And it works.

The Best Years Of Our Lives
William Wyler
Myrna Loy, Fredric March
10 PM, February 21

Why? Cause other movies deal with war as it's happening and this one deals with the back home effects. Boring synopsis - A bunch of people come back from WWII and realize that having hooks for arms really sucks. But it works.

Man, "Limelight, "A Day At The Races," "Bonnie And Clyde," "Blow-Up," "The Last Emperor," Do The Right Thing," "Naked City (!!!)," "The Producers," "Network." TCM kills it this month.

I could write 50 of these things.
552587, Do you have a top pick?
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Mon Jan-31-11 12:26 AM
I'm just trying to create a calendar where each poster stands behind one film, so is there one you'd recommend above all others?

>Amarcord
>1973
>Federico Fellini
>330 AM, February 24
>
>Why? Cause you've prolly seen 81/2 already (which IS being
>shown directly after Amarcord). Boring synopsis - Young kid
>and friends run around small town Italy, raise juvenile hell,
>ogle hookers, and, of course since it's Fellini, check out a
>parade. And it works.

Favorite Fellini film.

So effective is it that the sense of nostalgia it creates feels universal and obvious, even though the eccentricities of the kid, his family, his little crew, and their town are very different from most people's reality. But I guess mischief when its presented with such texture and feeling can make those kinds of leaps.

>The Best Years Of Our Lives
>1946
>William Wyler
>Myrna Loy, Fredric March
>10 PM, February 21

That's two for Wyler. It makes no sense that he as a director is not more highly touted, when so many of his films are.
552588, William Wyler isn't more well loved because he reads as a company man
Posted by Duval Spit, Mon Jan-31-11 12:30 AM
Him, Curtiz, and Hawks all sort of fit the mold "welp, that's what i'm doing this week" directors,
but for some reason Hawks is the one that later generations latched on to,
and let's be real,
artists are the taste makers of the past.

As for a single pick,
I'd have to go through the whole month for just one so...
gimme time.

Of those three, prolly The Best Years Of Our Lives just because it's a movie I've referenced a lot to people I know recently for reasons I cannot explain.
552592, Hawks got annointed because the French said so.
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Mon Jan-31-11 12:40 AM
Plus, his resumé, with its westerns, screwballs, and noir, is a bit more easily or immediately cheer-able than Wyler's more character-driven dramas (I'd still say Roman Holiday is the best "romance" movie Hollywood ever produced).

>Curtiz

I've only seen a handful of Curtiz's films, but he did a number of the adventure type-o-fare, which don't really hold up down the line, at least for my taste.
552593, I'm torn on the French film movement
Posted by Duval Spit, Mon Jan-31-11 12:50 AM
I love Jules et Jim.
I hate Godard.
I love Tati and Cocteau.
I hate when Cocteau writes about any kind of film.
I love having a huge Hitchcock interview book.
I hate the deification of a few American filmmakers and the complete ignoring of others.
552610, RE: Do you have a top pick?
Posted by Sponge, Mon Jan-31-11 08:05 AM
>That's two for Wyler. It makes no sense that he as a director
>is not more highly touted, when so many of his films are.

Plus, still overlooked despite his collabos w/ Toland, which resulted in some great use of foregrounds and screen space, and the much revered Mizoguchi giving Wyler props.
552591, MUST SEE: Sunrise (1927)
Posted by Duval Spit, Mon Jan-31-11 12:37 AM
FW Murnau
8 PM, February 6

Yes, it is silent. Here's what I do when I watch a silent film - pick instrumental music that will fit in (Tortoise is always great). Put the TV on mute, put the music on random, and go all Dark Side of Oz on it.
I cannot recommend this movie enough. No synopsis. Just see it.
552864, ^^^ my official pick ^^^
Posted by Duval Spit, Tue Feb-01-11 01:47 PM
552615, A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
Posted by Sponge, Mon Jan-31-11 08:37 AM
Airing Thursday Feb 3 @ 5:30 pm EST
Dir: Elia Kazan
Cast: Marlon Fuckin' Brando, Kim Hunter

Why: Seems like the majority ranks Brando in On the Waterfront over his turn here. For me, Brando's greatest performance in Streetcar is top 3 all-time status. He has 3 scenes that belong in the acting bible. And "Hey, Steeeellllaaaa" isn't one of them. Some of it is dated, true, but years ahead if you compare it to other film performances of the time. Classic playscript and play. Film has a lot of mood despite the sets looking obviously like sets. Kim Hunter is sublime as Stella in a very modern performance. It's not the greatest movie being shown in February on TCM, but for the aforementioned reasons, it's my top pick.
552696, The further I get through this schedule...
Posted by okaycomputer, Mon Jan-31-11 02:49 PM
..the more I hang my head in shame.

I knew TCM was good, but I didn't realize they were showing *THAT* many quality movies per day.

I've got some DVR recordings to schedule.

Thanks for this, I hope we can keep this running regularly.
552774, The Lion In Winter (1968)
Posted by The_Red_Ninja_Turtle, Mon Jan-31-11 11:32 PM
Directed by:Anthony Harvey

Featuring: Peter O'Toole
Katharine Hepburn
Anthony Hopkins
Timothy Dalton

Why you should see it: wonderful script featuring great banter spoken by great actors. It's just a whole hell of a lot of fun. Also interesting is that TLIW is Peter O'Toole's second turn as Henry II, the first was in 1964's Becket which is on the following day at 10:15 AM.

On: 2:45 PM on Feb 4th
552865, This is a movie for people who like theatre.
Posted by Duval Spit, Tue Feb-01-11 01:47 PM
I did enjoy it for the most part though.
552787, Hannah and Her Sisters (1986)
Posted by UncleClimax, Tue Feb-01-11 02:45 AM
Dir. by Woody Allen
Michael Caine, Dianne Wiest
Feb. 15
It's my favorite Woody Allen movie, which says a lot 'cuz I'm a big Woody Allen fan. great performances all around (Michael Caine in particular kills it), great intertwining storyline, beautifully shot capturing an NYC that no longer exists. The Woody Allen character isn't nearly as prominent (or annoying, depending on your perspective) as you might find him in other movies.

Five Easy Pieces would've been my 2nd choice.