Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectObjectified was good, but twas no Helvetica!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=551517&mesg_id=551896
551896, Objectified was good, but twas no Helvetica!
Posted by buckshot defunct, Thu Jan-27-11 12:37 PM
As a lover of design in general it was fascinating to see how much thought and work went into creating everyday items like potato peelers. And I liked that one guy who was very candid about our consumption, and how things aren't built to last anymore.

Oh and the guy with the cell phone that was inspired by a... peeled potato. Hey wait a minute, maybe the key to becoming a great designer is just an intimate relationship with potatoes.

The Glaser one I will have to check out, thanks for the rec!

Let's see, some of the others I've seen:

Art & Copy - Fun, but when you get a bunch of ad people to talk about advertising, they'll have a tendency to be more 'salesy' than informative. Imagine Helvetica if ALL the dudes were like David Carson.

Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child - This is from the same series that did the Glaser doc. I wasn't really familiar with Basquiat, and my knowledge of him existed mostly in a graffiti/hip hop history context. So this was a real education for me. Really, really liked this one.

I Am Comic - I am so fascinated with stand up comedians that I can't possibly be objective about it. Most likely it's only okay as a film, but it didn't need to be anything more than that to keep my interest.

Exit at the Gift Shop - We've covered this one. I loved it.

Tales from the Script - This one felt kind of light, but I knew so little about screenwriting that anything would have been illuminating. Similar to Art & Copy, there's more hot air than I'd have liked. But this was aight.