Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectAgreed...just not sure how to improve it.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=551517&mesg_id=551647
551647, Agreed...just not sure how to improve it.
Posted by okaycomputer, Wed Jan-26-11 12:10 PM
I think the number of "Experts" has diminished and by extension so has the discussion.

I mean during my college years I learned more about movies in "Reviews" from you, DrNO, KingFriday and ricky than I learned about anything else during those years. In those days there were enough people with a ridiculously extensive knowledge that they could fuel their own conversations and by extension teach others. I honestly just don't think there are enough people here anymore to bring those types of threads back.

Plus, now that Netflix has become so widespread I think more people fancy themselves experts than in the past and there becomes a lot more telling and a lot less asking and learning.

Also with DVR, Netflix Instant, Hulu and the exponential increase in quality TV there are many more outlets available to distract people from digging deep into films. Waiting for that Netflix disc used to be the highlight of my week, hell I was abusing the 3 at a time system to the fullest. Now? I'm on the one disc plan and more often than not that disc sits on the coffee table for 2 months...I blame TV for that.

I think the poll/rating system is a great idea.

It seems that using Netflix instant movies would be the best way to foster conversation. But any type of organized event seems to fail around here. It becomes infinitely harder to press play on that movie when you build in some sort of obligation to do so.

So, in short, I'm no help.