Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectMerrill Markoe is a legend and a GOAT what exactly?!?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=545279&mesg_id=589219
589219, Merrill Markoe is a legend and a GOAT what exactly?!?
Posted by Big Chief Rumbletummy, Mon Nov-21-11 07:05 PM

I'm about as a big a comedy nerd as exists and I am only vaguely aware of her influence in one aspect of comedy, and show-biz in general, and that's Letterman's show. Like I said above I'm not a big Letterman fan , or a fan of Late Night Talk Shows at all really, so if that's what you're referring to then okay I'll cop to not being aware of how important she is. But the words "legend" and "GOAT" next to the words Merril Markoe? I feel like I'm waiting for the punchline...

>Mark didn't/couldn't focus on Letterman more. Letterman would
>be the ultimate guest - but I really don't see it happening.
>
>And Mary Lynn Rajskub was involved in the alternative comedy
>explosion of the early/mid 90's. I haven't listened yet - but
>I'm sure they talk about Uncabaret and Mr. Show.

No I know who she is, I was aware of her back in the mid 90s but she was NEVER funny imo. Not even accidentally.

>
>I'll take this podcast over Todd Glass's (poor production
>values) or Corllas' (rich white guys are the most repressed
>guys).

I haven't listened to either of those shows. My biggest problem is that I only listen to wtf for the great in-depth guest interviews & live shows (except I routinely skip Eddie Pepitone's sets). I skip the opening monologue bit. So if the guest is lacking in interest for me there's no reason to check it.

I like Tod Glass' stand-up not so much Carolla. Lately my go to has been Sklarboro Country. Good guests, they're conisstently funny, and they do a polished radio show. The Earwolf & Nerdist sites have tons of content and Kevin Pollak's Chat Show has some gems.

"Don't call your 5 year old daughter a cunt over a cheese stick. You don't want to be 'that guy'." © Dana Gould