Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThis is not true
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=524877&mesg_id=524901
524901, This is not true
Posted by Wordman, Wed Jun-30-10 06:17 PM
Films where actors do their own stunts make the movie better; or at the very least, films where actors do their own stunts "allow for the opportunity" for the movie to be better.
It allows for better continuity, DEFINITELY helps in the editing process, not to mention grounding the film in some sense of reality. It gives the director/D.P. more choices in terms of shots. It breeds "friendly competition" between actors ("I don't want to look like I can't do that jump when ______ just did it."). It means the actor isn't "limiting the production" - which believe me, that is something that will get into the heads of the cast and crew.
Imagine The Bourne movies with a stunt double.
The same is true not just with stunts, but any particular "special skill" needed. The movie Ray is a great example of this. That movie is much more interesting visually because Jamie Foxx knows how to play the piano. Now they can actually show him playing the piano, instead of cutting from him sitting at the piano to a piano player's hands.
Cruise gets props from me. He may be "a movie star desperate to be an actor", but he'll push himself a lot farther than many actors.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams