Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectcoffee and milk vs. red sugar water
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=524295&mesg_id=524744
524744, coffee and milk vs. red sugar water
Posted by colonelk, Wed Jun-30-10 02:33 AM
>Actually, the story is not weak at all, but to each his
>own. You thought "more should have been done" with the
>"context."

I think a) it should have had a more compelling story. B) If it's going to swim in the deep end with the big kids and discuss torture and immigration and civil liberties, it should have something to say.

All that said, I LIKE the movie. Just I like Crank and I liked the first Mummy. They're all fun. But none of them are the best movie of the decade.

>Actually, no. What makes Clive Owen's character
>compelling is that he does most of what he does
>out of instinct and reflex...he's not a perfect
>leader revolutionary. The death of ole girl sort
>of inspired him, but his character is mostly in-line
>with many protagonist stories: flawed character who
>rises to the occasion.

Right. He's by far the most interesting character because he has some choices to make. But mostly it's "run and duck, duck and run." You could say the same about lots of action protagonists.

>LOL -- yes, you are going out of your way. I'm just as
>intelligent as you, enjoyed the movie more than you did
>and never saw that. Now that I know its there, I still don't
>give a motherfuck, because little random symbolism like that
>has nothing to do with why the movie is good.

Here's the guy who made the movie talking about it:

"You see those things and the direct reference was Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib. Nevertheless, that is the same reference as concentration camps in the second World War. It is so interesting that you say that because in this documentary that we’re doing for the DVD, Slavoj Zizek who is a Slovenian philosopher, he talks about infertility in the film and he says that the real infertility is the lack of historical perspective..."

You don't seem willing to accept that the movie you love aspires to all the "latte-sipping" things you claim to hate.

>No, you like movies that you can overanalyze so you can
>make yourself feel smart.
>
>Actual smart people like our movies simple, because our
>real lives are smart.
>
>I'm telling you its true.
>
>No, you won't.
>
>Your reasons for not liking it are bogus. Just
>admit it.

Your constant stream of baseless claims and predictions is hilarious. Thank you for telling me what I think and how I will feel in the future. It warms my heart.