Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectfollowing this theory, why did Kick-Ass come and go so easy?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=521652&mesg_id=521721
521721, following this theory, why did Kick-Ass come and go so easy?
Posted by celery77, Tue Jun-08-10 12:04 PM
cuz I looked at that as a potential breakout hit / cult type film, good action romp, original characters, good directing, a tinge of cult star power with Nic Cage and McLovin turning in good performances and an already built in fanbase with the comic heads and potential to grow, but it splashed for about 2-3 weekends then disappeared like all the rest.

it's easy to complain about the films, but part of me wonders if the penetration of digital content into American living rooms, coupled with an inreasingly thrifty public, makes it a much better option to stay at home. I can queue up Netflix Watch Instant on anything from an Xbox to a PS3 to a Roku and get access to a pretty robust library, sit on the couch, not get reamed if I want to snack during the film, pay less in an unlimited monthly subscription than the $20+ just for tickets that it would cost for me and a friend for one movie, and watch 2-3 movies in a night, all in HD on a nice TV set, I mean cmon.

yeah, the summer franchises are lame this year, but increased ticket prices and the increased market penetration of new distribution models has to be a factor somehow, too, right?