Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectA couple of recs
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=505249&mesg_id=533958
533958, A couple of recs
Posted by Sponge, Mon Sep-06-10 03:07 PM
Miami Blues - great crime thriller

Across 110th Street - for 70s movie fans; great use of location shooting and music by Womack and Peace

Electra Glide in Blue - relatively overlooked 70s gem; OOP DVD; great cinematography by Conrad Fuckin' Hall

Samurai Rebellion - excellent samurai pic; expertly constructed narrative

The Heartbreak Kid - the original comedy classic by Elaine May from the 70s; great performance by Charles Grodin; if you like uncomfortable comedy, check it out

Big Night - a great food / chef / restaurant movie

Topkapi - entertaining heist flick from the great Jules Dassin who made the heist masterpiece Rififi

This Sporting Life - if you like British kitchen sink film, see it; Rachel Roberts is incredible in it; Richard Harris is intense

Salaam Bombay - if you like neorealist type of films, check it out

I Am Cuba - if you want to see great camera movement and bold compositions, check it out

Objectified - I'm personally not a fan of this doc about industrial design; I found it underwhelming and not that informative / insightful save for a few segments, but there should be a couple of people here interested in it

Two Friends - employs a subtle slow-burning use of reverse narrative