Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: Netflix Streaming Hidden Gems..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=505249&mesg_id=505447
505447, RE: Netflix Streaming Hidden Gems..
Posted by Sponge, Wed Feb-24-10 06:11 PM
Sin Nombre - Already mentioned. I thought this would have received near-but-not-as-much-City-of-God-love in PTP.

Chop Shop - Takes place in Queens' Iron Triangle. I have no idea why this and Sin Nombre haven't received a huge following in PTP.

Man Push Cart - Directed by the same guy who did Chop Shop. A great film about the life of an immigrant in contemporary NYC. The director's sense of place as in Chop Shop is first-rate.

Shotgun Stories - Has already been mentioned but I'll mention it again. It's a slow burner about revenge but also about violence and family. One of my favorites of the past decade and relatively one of the most criminally neglected high quality American films in years. I also think it's one of the most impressive feature debuts in years, shit, of all-time. It was well-received critically by those that have seen it, but this flick should have blown up more in PTP and elsewhere.

Revanche - Just got released by Criterion and had a very very limited theatrical release in 2009 so PTPers sleeping on it is understandable. Like Shotgun Stories, it's a slow burner on revenge. One of my favorites of the past decade.

Fat City - Directed by John Huston with cinematography by Conrad Fuckin' Hall and a great performance from Stacy Keach and a very good young Jeff Bridges. Fat City and Body and Soul are my 2 favorite boxing non-documentary films. One of the best American films of the 70s. The DVD is OOP and Netflix doesn't carry it so...

On the Ropes - A great boxing documentary that I have seen mentioned just once on the boards.

Munyurangabo - Makes a great double bill with Hotel Rwanda. It's a small scale film. The relative neglect of this film saddens me.

More later.