Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectlol @ 'bromance'
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=492200&mesg_id=497783
497783, lol @ 'bromance'
Posted by The Damaja, Sun Jan-17-10 11:09 AM
i think the element of whodunnitry was replaced by the mystery of how all these 'black magic' events were carried out. i think the 'Young Sherlock Holmes' tv series is a bit like this, more than a murder mystery

i think the kept holmes's trademark of deduction from tiny details on peoples clothes etc. intact and applied it to action scenarios where you see his mind at work when the camera focusses on things he's about to use

apparantly he is a boxer in the books, or used to be. they took some liberties with his reclusiveness and arrogance and, er, violin playing, but it was imaginative

it did look amazing. i keep going to films with people who don't give any credit for visual flair, esp. if it involves CGI. one of my mates just said it looked 'dreary' - FOH. he also complained the action scenes were cut too fast and were pointlessly confusing. FOH. these two things are just something some critic pointed out recently

(ie. apparently filmmakers keep making their films look bleak/dreary these days and all actions scenes are cut so fast that you can't work out what's actually happening. can't remember who said it)

>so kinda weird.
>
>also weird to see them try to make holmes over as more edgy. i
>dont know if he ever really did underground fighting in the
>books. did he? if he did, well ok, but it just seemed a bit
>out of place. i know they want to give him a bond style
>makeover but wtf. i dont remember holmes in any of the films i
>watched as a kid being all broody and a drunk either, but hey.
>
>
>but the film was more of a bromance between holmes and watson
>(which was ok actually} and an action flick than a whodunit so
>if you were expecting a good old fashioned detective story
>reworked for the 00s, you might be dissapointed. there wasnt
>any one part i was really kept in suspense, or wondered what
>was going to happen or who did what.
>
>still, it was enjoyable in a sort of brain almost switched off
>kind of way.
>
>and the woman in there was alright looking also, so...
>
>edit - oh and it looked amazing. cool to see ye olde london.
>