Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectYou ever notice how Spider Man never...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=480947
480947, You ever notice how Spider Man never...
Posted by GdChil1, Tue Oct-13-09 07:34 AM
really gets any street cred when you kick around topics like who's the most _________ superhuman/mutant. Like dude easily has the most profitable franchise but on a comic level he's marginal...like i've never heard of any epic spider man battles where he's pitted against the real powerhouses of marvel.
480950, but thats why he sells so well...
Posted by KnowOne, Tue Oct-13-09 08:00 AM
out of Marvel characters hes the easiest to relate to.
480952, So i'm guessing he's like Marvel's Bat Man?
Posted by GdChil1, Tue Oct-13-09 08:05 AM
I just can't get with all that light fluffy writing. Maybe they should write like a dark spiderman series. Like I may be the only one who liked when Spidey took on the venom symbiot.
480955, Spider-Man has taken a few dark, existential turns in his day.....
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Tue Oct-13-09 08:20 AM
....but they don't need to make him "dark" on an on-going basis. That's just not in his character.

IMHO, comics got cheesy when everyone wanted to do something "dark" after Dark Knight Returns was so popular. Not every character can pull that off or is meant to.

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
-George Clinton
480967, Yes, but not providing enough fodder for adults will keep...
Posted by GdChil1, Tue Oct-13-09 09:52 AM
ol' Pete in Kiddie land, which I guess is cool if your goal is to sell underwear and Halloween costumes and not so much tell great stories via comics.
480979, You don't sound like someone who actually reads comic books
Posted by kevlar skully, Tue Oct-13-09 10:30 AM

and I'm not sure what stories you want to read featuring Spider-man....

"The Night Gwen Stacy Died"? "Kraven's Last Hunt"? You could read "Marvel Knights: Spider-Man" by Mark Millar if you want to see Spidey get beaten to a bloody pulp and return the favor...

Really, there are so many stories with Spidey in them that are more "adult" in theme and tone that there is nothing to complain about

480954, he a lame yo
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Oct-13-09 08:11 AM
480977, Do you want Spidey to take Galactus by himself?
Posted by kevlar skully, Tue Oct-13-09 10:21 AM

You never read Spidey vs Jugernaught? Spidey vs Firelord(Herald of Galactus)?

Any of the times he faced six of his most fearsome foes at the same time? The time in Secret Wars where made the X-men look like chumps?

I'm not sure what your complaint is...
He's not Superman, he's Spider-man.

Of course Spidey has had epic battles with foes more powerful than himself throughout his history. He eventually beat the fuck outta Firelord..

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?p=9474410

peep that thread for some scans

This thread makes me want to get my scans daily on

He's the non-mutant superhero. Spidey's the grooviest.

480984, just read the firelord synopsis. that shit was ill.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Oct-13-09 10:56 AM
especially how they play up the fact that spidey is no match for the guys power... but he's a clever little fuck.
481021, Him pwning Titania in Secret Wars was comic book greatness
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Oct-13-09 01:20 PM
Probably my favorite instance of Spider Shit-Talking, all while Titania whines like a bitch because she's 10 times stronger than him.
480980, That's what kinda makes Spider-Man great...
Posted by Melanism, Tue Oct-13-09 10:38 AM
...he's got super powers but isn't so powerful that he's not getting his ass kicked every third issue. There's always the great Spider-Man-pushes-himself-to-his-limits stories.

-------------------
<--- Not like this!

http://blog.melanism.com
http://twitter.com/Melanism
480983, I think that's it, thing is like other characters i put on his level,
Posted by GdChil1, Tue Oct-13-09 10:47 AM
they'll make them Godlike at times and whack at others (Wolverine, Flash, etc.), Spidey never really took that quantum leap in powers to my knowledge, like he's always been the cool little c-level acrobatic, ingenious, trickster
481003, c-level in terms of power?
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Oct-13-09 12:07 PM
>they'll make them Godlike at times and whack at others
>(Wolverine, Flash, etc.), Spidey never really took that
>quantum leap in powers to my knowledge, like he's always been
>the cool little c-level acrobatic, ingenious, trickster

cause he's an a list hero, super powered or no.
481010, yall forget about Cosmic Spidey? http://twelvepackistan.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/cosmicspidey.jpg
Posted by FortifiedLive, Tue Oct-13-09 12:46 PM
http://twelvepackistan.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/cosmicspidey.jpg

LOL.
481011, And don't forget about this one, either:
Posted by buckshot defunct, Tue Oct-13-09 12:48 PM
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/4/30083-3519-33444-1-web-of-spider-man_super.jpg
481012, more recently, there was "The Other" where Spidey "evolved"
Posted by kevlar skully, Tue Oct-13-09 01:03 PM
http://nosheep.net/story/spider-man-the-other/

of course, most of those new powers were pretty much forgotten about after that strory-line and soon after ret-conned out of existence
481023, oof... what a doo doo sandwich that was
Posted by buckshot defunct, Tue Oct-13-09 01:24 PM
And shortly after that (or was it before?) you had the whole 'Iron Spidey' thing... Man Marvel was really having trouble cooking up a new angle for dude, weren't they?

As far as power goes, the cool thing about Spider-Man is that you always get the sense that, with a few notable exceptions, he's holding back. Unlike most super heroes, he never gets completely out of that "Clark Kent" mode. And then he uses those low expectations to his advantage.
481028, That's the thing I don't like...
Posted by GdChil1, Tue Oct-13-09 01:26 PM
like he can do more if they write it for him
481040, Powers aren't what makes a character interesting to me
Posted by buckshot defunct, Tue Oct-13-09 01:51 PM
I mean yeah if we're playing a video game chances are I'm not going with Spidey... But as far as reading the stories? I think he's one of the most interesting characters there is.

Look at Superman. Lots of people think he's boring because he has too much power. Spider-Man has that extra bit of vulnerability that makes his stories more engrossing to me. And c'mon... you gotta love the corny jokes.
481029, you didn't like the new powers?
Posted by spades, Tue Oct-13-09 01:26 PM
481033, No, Buck's more of a fan of MAGIC!
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Oct-13-09 01:32 PM
It doesn't have to make sense.
481036, No, that story sucked too
Posted by buckshot defunct, Tue Oct-13-09 01:39 PM
It's just that here we are, 2 years later, and the book is the best it's ever been in my lifetime. Sooooooo....
481038, Buck, I gurauntee you this statement isn't true:
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Oct-13-09 01:44 PM
>It's just that here we are, 2 years later, and the book is
>the best it's ever been in my lifetime. Sooooooo....

People (deservedly) malign the Clone Saga and Carnage, but there were a lot of great Spider stories in the late '80s and early to mid '90s. And I'm willing to bet all the money in your pocket thatnothing in the last two years is fucking with "Kraven's Last Hunt."
481041, I'll take that bet
Posted by buckshot defunct, Tue Oct-13-09 01:55 PM
But mostly because there's nothing in my pockets and you just spelled it "Karven's Last Hunt"

481044, Okay, fixed. And I'm still right. Again.
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Oct-13-09 01:57 PM
481063, You know I haven't picked up a Spidey since they retconned him
Posted by spades, Tue Oct-13-09 03:26 PM
I really really, REALLY hated that shit.
481068, There's one thing they did right
Posted by buckshot defunct, Tue Oct-13-09 03:39 PM
And it wasn't getting rid of MJ, or un-doing the unmasking, or sweeping 'The Other' under the rug. What they did right was throwing a shit ton of talent on the book afterwards. Great writers, phenomenal artists, and a mastermind editor to keep it all together. As hard as I tried to clown 'Brand New Day' when it first hit, within a couple months I was hooked. It took some getting used to, but I'd say by the time the book hit the 'New Ways to Die' arc, it had found its voice and it's been a consistently enjoyable read ever since. Even great on occasion. If you like Spider-Man it's definitely worth a shot.
481070, Maybe I'll pick up a TPB - thanks.
Posted by spades, Tue Oct-13-09 03:44 PM
481035, I didn't like The Other. I thought it was a bad story.
Posted by buckshot defunct, Tue Oct-13-09 01:38 PM
I was on board for the *idea* of The Other, I mean I bought it after all, so I wouldn't say I'm necessarily against the concept of new powers... Although I tend to prefer that sort of thing when done as a finite story arc, as opposed to a editorial overhaul of the fundamental aspects of a character.
481039, "The Other" got mucked up by editorial interference
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Oct-13-09 01:45 PM
and "event" comics. I would have been interested in seeing how it played out if they had let JMS do his thing.
481046, I felt bad for Peter David on that one too
Posted by buckshot defunct, Tue Oct-13-09 02:04 PM
Overall The Other was just too damn long and then seemed to have zero repercussions. Right around that time the Spider-Books were like a fucked up microcosm of the whole Marvel line... Just event after event, with no real cohesion or follow through.
481026, you know I REALLY wanted that to stay.
Posted by spades, Tue Oct-13-09 01:26 PM
he wasn't SO much more powerful that it would have IRREPERABLEY alttered his character. And the new powers could have made for some REALLY interesting stories.
481032, And they were all basically true to some spiders...
Posted by GdChil1, Tue Oct-13-09 01:32 PM
see in the dark, sticky all over, spikes...nothing out of this world crazy like a spider-hulk or iron-hulk hybrid...lol
481045, Me too
Posted by KneelB4Me, Tue Oct-13-09 02:04 PM
Those abilities didn't make Pete too powerful or unrelateable, it just happened too close to Civil War and Mephisto-gate and wasn't allowed to take legs.

"I halfway hope people put "btw, rappers lie and shit" on CD covers, like a parental advisory sticker." - OKP Villain

www.dreamertodesigner.com
www.twitter.com/lexlamont
481048, That, and the Civil War unmasking were cool ideas that didn't develop
Posted by buckshot defunct, Tue Oct-13-09 02:15 PM
Well the unmasking thing kind of did in that it dovetailed right into Mephistogate™ but I would have liked to see them get a bit more mileage out of the idea first.
481051, I was pretty 'meh' about the whole thing
Posted by kevlar skully, Tue Oct-13-09 02:19 PM
beside hating event stories that force you to buy multiple issues from different series, I'm not a fan of organic webbing in my 616 Spidey

I'm not all the way mad at the mystical stuff, but stingers out the arms?

real 'meh'
481054, i don't take the opinions of non-COTW members seriously
Posted by shockzilla, Tue Oct-13-09 02:33 PM
^^^auto-complete is great, folks.
481062, diverse opinions are what make discussion boards great
Posted by GdChil1, Tue Oct-13-09 03:24 PM
481072, absolutely-
Posted by shockzilla, Tue Oct-13-09 03:50 PM
and diverse opinions from COTW members have credibility.
481166, ^^^ Powerful Herculean Posting
Posted by JungleSouljah, Wed Oct-14-09 09:28 AM
And this is from someone who's only been active for 3 or 4 months.
481173, I am Sci-Fi/Superhero type geek...
Posted by GdChil1, Wed Oct-14-09 10:08 AM
Not really into anime or archie style comics...if COTW has Sci-Fi/Superhero talk in it, I will join in...haven't really checked those post