Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subject"Letterman to admit tonight he's extortion victim; had sexual relations with staff."
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=478847
478847, "Letterman to admit tonight he's extortion victim; had sexual relations with staff."
Posted by THRILLHOUSE, Thu Oct-01-09 08:00 PM
"Letterman to admit tonight he's extortion victim; had sexual relations with staff."

this is the headline that is blowing up on twitter now. normally don't post gossipy stuff on here, but damn Dave...
478848, Variety swipe
Posted by THRILLHOUSE, Thu Oct-01-09 08:07 PM
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118009463.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

In an uncharacteristically personal revelation for David Letterman, the host took to his "Late Show" stage to admit that he was the victim of an extortion attempt - and acknowledge that he has had sexual relations with more than one staff member.

According to a press release sent by Letterman's PR reps, the host first received a package three weeks ago from someone who claimed to have information about alleged sexual relations he has had with female employees of the "Late Show."

The individual threatened to go public with the allegations unless Letterman paid him $2 million.

Letterman told his audience on Thursday that he contacted the Manhattan District Attorney's Special Prosecution Bureau. That led to a sting operation, in which Letterman met with the individual and handed him a fake $2 million check. That person was arrested on Thursday.

"This morning, I did something I've never done in my life," Letterman said on Thursday's edition of CBS' "Late Show." "I had to go downtown and testify before a grand jury."

As part of the testimony, Letterman admitted that he had engaged in sexual relationships with staff members.

"My response to that is, yes I have. Would it be embarrassing if it were made public? Perhaps it would," Letterman said. "I feel like I need to protect these people -- I need to certainly protect my family."

A Letterman spokesman declined to comment further on the matter, only to say that Letterman will have more to say on Thursday night's program.

Revelation came on what should have been a day of celebration for Letterman, as ratings from week one of the new TV season gave the host his first outright late night victory in four years.

Letterman's revelation may also have an impact on the late night ratings race, as interest in the extortion case perhaps fuels tune-in. It's been an eventful week in the late night sphere, as "Tonight Show" host Conan O'Brien was rushed to the hospital last Friday after hitting his head on stage.
478849, Damn Dave is definitely that dude.
Posted by Invisiblist, Thu Oct-01-09 08:12 PM
478852, I know he dated Merrill Markoe for a spell
Posted by ZooTown74, Thu Oct-01-09 08:18 PM
she was the head writer on the original Late Night for a minute

And yeah, "heh heh, he said 'head'," har har har

also on Facebook
478855, !
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Oct-01-09 09:11 PM
Wow.
478937, When did these relations occur? He just got married in March.
Posted by DeadMike, Fri Oct-02-09 10:25 AM
So if it happened a year or so ago it's not so bad.
479107, he's been with that woman for like 17 years though
Posted by Young H, Sat Oct-03-09 06:16 AM
479284, That would be 23 years
Posted by ZooTown74, Sun Oct-04-09 03:22 PM

also on Facebook
478859, Not a good look. Why do celebs think they can get away with this shit?
Posted by biscuit, Thu Oct-01-09 09:25 PM
478939, Exactly what is he trying to get away with? Having a private life?
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Fri Oct-02-09 10:35 AM
If he had consensual sex with people on the show and wasn't making the sex a condition of their continued employment on the show, then he did nothing wrong.

The extortionist is just trying get a payday by exposing something Dave and another consenting adult have done in private.

Now if it comes out later that Dave was sexually harassing these women, that's different.

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
-George Clinton
478977, thank you
Posted by spades, Fri Oct-02-09 01:02 PM
this place is weird....
478863, RE: "Letterman to admit tonight he's extortion victim; had sexual relations with staff."
Posted by The Goldng Child, Thu Oct-01-09 09:36 PM
dave would be the one celebrity to undercut an extortionist by going public w/ his secrets on his own terms.
478864, Better it comes from him than anyone else.
Posted by Zion3Lion, Thu Oct-01-09 09:45 PM
478865, yeah hes doing a much better job than Rick Pitino
Posted by THRILLHOUSE, Thu Oct-01-09 09:47 PM
I don't condone him screwing around on his wife like this, and I am not sure what the fallout will be, but so far he is handling this correctly.
478872, fuck that. he gets no credit.
Posted by rob, Thu Oct-01-09 10:50 PM
478875, I didn't say what he did was right...
Posted by THRILLHOUSE, Thu Oct-01-09 11:01 PM
just saying at least he isn't like Rick Pitino and calling crazy press conferences blaming the media instead of himself.
478878, yeah, i just needed a place to say fuck him for this
Posted by rob, Thu Oct-01-09 11:50 PM
478876, that was awkward
Posted by THRILLHOUSE, Thu Oct-01-09 11:17 PM
much like the Michael Richards interview it just felt awkard with the audience laughing. Both instances the audience had no idea what was going on so I can't blame them for laughing, just was weird.
478885, Yeah, I was saying in GD that I thought he'd at least preface it by
Posted by ZooTown74, Fri Oct-02-09 02:16 AM
saying something to the effect of, "Now, what I'm about to tell you is some serious business, so if you don't mind, I'd like to bend your ear for a minute"... but he didn't, so it's understandable for them to laugh -- especially since he was sprinkling jokes throughout the story... they eventually realized that he wasn't really joking, especially when he said the dollar amount and revealed that he had been having sex with his employees... but even then he threw more jokes in, so I can't really be mad at them for that... nor can I be mad at David for getting this out before it got out... and we don't know how he and his wife get down, so I'm not going to pass judgment on that relationship either...

also on Facebook
478888, Not cool but definitely G points for saying...
Posted by cali_steve, Fri Oct-02-09 03:21 AM
I'd rather put myself on blast on the air than pay you a dime! Dave will have little reprocussion from this.
478906, Dave fucking you must be miserable
Posted by Ceej, Fri Oct-02-09 08:37 AM
478921, First off I'm embarrassed
Posted by cali_steve, Fri Oct-02-09 09:35 AM
of my spelling of "repercussion". It was late.

I don't really fault him for doing this way. Instead of have a press conference he said well I have a good portion of America listening to me every night I'll talk about this once on my terms. That's Dave's way, he's so private the only time he's open and honest is on the show.
478924, Why is everyone saying he did the right thing?
Posted by ncr2h, Fri Oct-02-09 09:51 AM
The right thing would have been to come out and admit that it was wrong.

It doesn't make you a better man to admit something when an extortionist is forcing your hand. 95% of the world would have done the exact same thing...how does this make him a stand-up guy?
478942, Because for all we know right now, he didn't do anything wrong.
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Fri Oct-02-09 10:38 AM

>The right thing would have been to come out and admit that it
>was wrong.

We don't know that he did anything wrong. If he sexually harassed a woman on the show, that's one thing. But if was consensual, then it's not wrong. Even the law on sexual harassment says that.

>It doesn't make you a better man to admit something when an
>extortionist is forcing your hand. 95% of the world would
>have done the exact same thing...how does this make him a
>stand-up guy?

95% of the world don't have the wealth and notoriety of David Letterman, and therefore, not as much to lose. I'm not saying he's the ballsiest dude on the planet, but to essentially give the extorter a big "fuck you" by admitting it and cutting their legs from under them is pretty slick. Especially since they were probably banking that Dave wouldn't want to put his fame and reputation at stake.

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
-George Clinton
478957, I disagree with your percentage.
Posted by Invisiblist, Fri Oct-02-09 12:05 PM
Just because it's the right thing and the smart thing doesn't mean 95% of people would do it. You should know that.
478944, It's being reported that the guy who tried to extort him was a
Posted by ZooTown74, Fri Oct-02-09 10:46 AM
48 Hours producer who just happened to be dating one of Letterman's former female staffers... Robert Halderman's his name...

latimes.com:

>CBS says accused Letterman extortionist works on '48 Hours'
October 1, 2009 | 9:29 pm

Letterman CBS has revealed that the person accused in a $2-million blackmail plot against talk show host David Letterman is a network employee who works on the true-crime show "48 Hours."

At a taping of tonight's "Late Show," Letterman told the studio audience that an unnamed person had approached him and threatened to reveal details of the host's sexual liaisons with female staffers unless a payment of $2 million was received. Letterman said he admitted to the sexual relationships during grand jury testimony.

In a statement late Thursday, the network said: "CBS was made aware of an ongoing police investigation involving David Letterman and an employee at '48 Hours,' who was subsequently arrested earlier today on charges of attempted grand larceny in the first degree." The employee had been suspended pending the outcome of the investigation, the network added.

"Mr. Letterman addressed the issue during the show's broadcast this evening, and we believe his comments speak for themselves," the network said in the statement.

--Scott Collins

also on Facebook
478950, i wonder how many hours they caught him in
Posted by thoughtprocess, Fri Oct-02-09 11:13 AM
from the time Letterman first told them.
478952, Not just a staffer, a staffer we know.
Posted by stravinskian, Fri Oct-02-09 11:24 AM

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/02/update-woman-linked-letterman-to-alleged-extortionist/

478954, Wait! There's more (link)
Posted by ZooTown74, Fri Oct-02-09 11:34 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/02/stephanie-birkitt-letterm_n_307558.html

also on Facebook
478959, *remembers Dave Chappelle standup bit about 'convenience'*
Posted by B9, Fri Oct-02-09 12:09 PM
478973, LOL @ "great fun to play catch with"
Posted by THRILLHOUSE, Fri Oct-02-09 12:45 PM
I'm not surprised that she is one of the staffers Dave did it with.
479112, OH DANG he was straight clowning her ex on TV
Posted by Invisiblist, Sat Oct-03-09 08:37 AM
gangster