Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectto each his,......
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=477862&mesg_id=477994
477994, to each his,......
Posted by Zen_the_Jedi, Mon Sep-28-09 01:10 PM
I liked it alot though,....
i think anytime one sets out to do a remake of a film like this,....there a lot of things that would ordinarily doom them to failure, but in this case,....these are one of the few remakes i really liked....

lets keep in mind also,....its a Friday the 13th film....in otherwords,....its mindless entertainment to begin with,....not high art.

the directors commentary explains the underground tunnels....
and in fact, it made sense. How else could this hulking figure of a beast seemingly be at all of these diffent places in the woods without anyone seeing or hearing him coming, except to use the underground,......????

Its like that moment in Predator, when Arnold and his crew realize that the Predator was using the trees.
I think it was a bit more realistic than having that dude just show up behind you in the woods without snapping at least one twig.

And also, he wasnt torturing his victims,....he only had the one girl captive cause she looked like his mother.

I also thought the fact that he could run was really cool too. It gave Jason a new dimension without sacrificing any of the old....
The opening of that film, where he runs after the girl and then they cut to the title shot was GREAT !!!!!!

Was it scary? no,....but then again few horror films made in the 2000s are.....
funny? Yes, if you like seeing young white frat boys get murdered for their own stupidity....(and I do)

I thought it was a good remake...
Hight art.....stellar acting,.....??? absolutely not.
but its a slasher flick and to a large degree....the Friday the 13th series were never any of that either.
It is what it is,....mindless, violent film with gratuitous titties and a variety of kills.

However with all remakes,....I like to see at least one or two things they do different witht the character then the originals....
and this pretty much did.

A running Jason,....whoa...!!! Let the madness begin.
Underground tunnels.....okay i'll buy that,....makes sense.
Jason who can hit a moving target with a bow and arrow?? hilarious.
The sleeping bag over the camp fire scene....brutal yet poetic.

overall.....
it wins IMO.

but thats just me,...if you didnt like it so be it....
but I WILL DEFINITELY SEE THE NEW NIGHTMARE ON ELM....it looks pretty grimey!!!!!!!!