Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectCool, let's break down the trailer for clues, then
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=470978&mesg_id=494223
494223, Cool, let's break down the trailer for clues, then
Posted by ZooTown74, Tue Dec-29-09 12:58 PM
And yes, I know, "if you gotta break down a trailer just to try to figure out what a movie's about, blah blah blah"

Let's start with the voice-over (btw, is it me or does Leo bear a resemblance to Christopher Nolan in these clips?):

We see Leo playing with the spinning thingy

"What's the most resilient parasite? An idea."

*studio logos*

"A single idea from the human mind..."

Leo and Ellen Page watch a street fold (in what is the longest shot in the trailer, btw)

"... can build cities..."

We see buckshot's Jurassic Park tribute shot of the rippling water in the glass

"An idea can transform the world..."

Someone looks out a window and sees people running, plus there's a fire

"... and rewrite all the rules."

Someone in what looks to be some sort of camp stands up, then a shot of Leo looking out into the city

"Which is why... I have to steal it."

(^^^ The key phrase of the trailer)

Leo walks through a kitchen, putting a silencer on a gun.

We see a shot of a locomotive rolling down the middle of a street, crashing into cars along the way, as Leo tells Ellen Page, "Never recreate from your memory, always imagine from new places"

Then we see a shot of a smiling Leo talking to Ellen Page, and as they sit outside a cafe (the name of which is Cafe Debussy, btw), there's an explosion

Then we see a shot of Leo looking out of a window, followed by a shot of someone (looks like William Fichtner) on a roof being led away, as Leo tells Cillian Murphy, "He's hiding something, and we need to find out what that is"

Then we see a shot of Joe Gordon-Levitt looking out the driver's seat of a taxi, then someone (maybe JGL?) about to take a shot from the back of a taxi, then the taxi spinning out...

Then the words YOUR MIND

Then the rippling water

Then a shot of Ken Watanabe rising from a bed with a gun as someone (JGL?) says, "We gotta break outta here"

Then someone rides away on a motorcycle in the rain as JGL continues with, "Give him the kick!"

Then someone (Lukas Haas?) hits Leo, and we see him floating backwards

Then the words IS THE SCENE OF THE CRIME

Then a masked man enters a room and approaches Cillian Murphy

Leo shouts "(inaudible) is not a part of the plan" as JGL approaches

Then a shot of someone being thrown into a wall

Then we see Leo floating again, into a tub of water

Then two guys fight

Then Leo falls further into the tub as Ellen Page (?) yells, "Wake me up!"

Then we see Leo and what appears to be JGL with guns drawn, looking around a room, and we hear "Wake me up!" again

Then a shot of someone (possibly Leo) standing in between two staircases as mists of water shoot off

Then we get the Inception logo, with the word in the middle of a maze

To me, the two key phrases of the trailer are Leo prattling on about ideas and ending with "Which is why I have to steal it," and the phrase YOUR MIND IS THE SCENE OF THE CRIME

So, one can reasonably deduce (without having to look it up) that the movie might have something to do with idea theft (since that's what Leo says he has to do, right)... something may or may not go wrong, which is why we get Ellen screaming "Wake me up!" and most importantly, the phrase about your mind being the scene of the crime... there's lots of guns, a little bit of fighting, and some dream imagery... I mean, a street folding onto itself? A locomotive driving down the middle of a street? A calm Leo and Ellen as there's an explosion? Leo slowly falling backward into a tub of water? I mean, these may or may not all be "dreams" but they're certainly shot and cut to appear as if they are...

I'm guessing that Leo and JGL are "mind cops" or "mind thieves" who have been assigned a particular case... maybe Ellen Page is the person whom they're investigating, or is the mark... and someone's after her for her idea (or whoever's idea it is)...

Based on what I've seen here, that's all I know... and truthfully, that's all I need to know at this point...

This trailer just makes me that much more intrigued about the movie, which is what it's supposed to do, not tell you exactly what it's about... and the fact that it's Christopher Nolan has me doubly intrigued...

(emo moment coming up)

And btw, saying that the trailer intrigues me without having every detail spelled out doesn't make me some sort of condescending, unthinking tool, or whatever else, it just means that as a fan of someone who has proven that he can tell effective and imaginative stories, it makes me want to show up to see what he does next, with this particular story... simple.

also on Facebook