Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectIt is a "good" sci-fi movie
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=466856&mesg_id=466983
466983, It is a "good" sci-fi movie
Posted by SoulHonky, Tue Aug-04-09 11:59 PM
I was entertained. I just don't think it's a "great" sci-fi movie, which would what it would take to be considered one of the best.

But, again, I think when you talk Sci-fi, you get around 20 or so names that most everyone can agree upon and then it's fairly wide open.

You have Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Blade Runner, Alien, Clockwork Orange, 2001, Metropolis, The Day the Earth Stood Still (original), Terminator, Terminator 2, Planet of the Apes (original), E.T., Back to the Future, Close Encounters, Forbidden Planet, Solaris (original), Aliens, Brazil, Akira, Jurassic Park.

Even in there, I think you can find some that a lot of people would disagree about but most of them are solid. But after that, people are all over the place. How good is The Matrix? Total Recall? The Thing? Robocop? Tron? Star Trek? Dune? Eternal Sunshine...? The Fly? Sleeper? Gattaca?

In the end, I think The Fifth Element is certainly not "great", probably not "very good", and just being "good" doesn't cut it when discussing the very best of a genre.