Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjecttell me I'm not the only one looking forward to Shutter Island
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=464998
464998, tell me I'm not the only one looking forward to Shutter Island
Posted by Wordman, Mon Jul-27-09 11:34 PM
Scorcese directing.
Leo vs. Kingsley.
Here's the trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdumGs1qoXM

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams
465052, RE: tell me I'm not the only one looking forward to Shutter Island
Posted by bwood, Tue Jul-28-09 09:26 AM
I with you. Scorsese and Leo are back.
465060, Interested but not looking forward to.
Posted by SoulHonky, Tue Jul-28-09 09:49 AM
It looks like a pretty standard horror movie and from what I've heard about the book, it's pulpy. It'll be interesting to see what a talented group can do with it but I'm not convinced that it's going to be anything but your standard thriller.
465075, I'm interested but not looking forward to it as well...
Posted by Midtown Records, Tue Jul-28-09 11:16 AM
But not for the same reasons that you mentioned.
471133, agree completely.
Posted by PimpMacula, Sat Aug-22-09 05:54 PM
seems like a redundant horror flick from the previews. i'll probably see it, but my expectations will be low.
472697, Agreed
Posted by zuma1986, Fri Aug-28-09 08:15 PM
I'm hoping the trailer is just to get ppl in the seats and not a reflection of the actual film. Scorsese has done straight studio pictures (Colour of Money and The Aviator) and has done studio pictures with his own style to it (Cape Fear, Bringing Out The Dead). Although neither kind are his best kind of work, I really hope it's the later and that Scorsese isn't going to coast through the rest of his career. Although it's hard to be considered cutting edge or even current when you've past your peak, ppl like Robert Altman, Akira Kurosawa and Werner Herzog have all demonstrated you can still make great films well into your career.
465074, I'm looking more forward to Inception
Posted by jigga, Tue Jul-28-09 11:15 AM
470904, ^
Posted by FortifiedLive, Fri Aug-21-09 01:32 PM
465112, I am because a chunk of this was filmed in my home town
Posted by The Analyst, Tue Jul-28-09 12:26 PM
although I'd still be anticipating it anyway...
502113, RE: I am because a chunk of this was filmed in my home town
Posted by Big O, Sun Feb-07-10 03:53 PM
Are you from Taunton, too?
470901, Moved to February 19, 2010 (swipe)
Posted by ZooTown74, Fri Aug-21-09 01:06 PM
GOOD! Gives me time to read the novel...

deadlinehollywooddaily.com:

>SHOCKER! Paramount Moves Scorsese's 'Shutter Island' To February 19, 2010

EXCLUSIVE: This Shutter Island decision is now the second major studio pic to jump from fall 2009 to February 2010 (after Universal's The Wolfman recently moved off November). But Paramount's adaptation of the Dennis Lehane novel directed by Marty Scorsese and starring Leonardo DiCaprio looked entrenched for October 2nd and this coming awards season.

For godsakes, the pic is already on people's Oscar list. Such a surprise delay is just going to compound all the buzz surrounding the picture and its great trailer released in June. An insider tells me. "It tested in the high 80s/low 90s and Scorsese even brought it down to 2 hours."

So what's the problem? I hear that Paramount told the filmmakers it doesn't have the financing in 2009 to spend the $50M to $60M necessary to market a big awards pic like this. ("Given where the DVD business is in 2009, our only hope is the economy and the retail business rebounds in 2010 because the hardest hit segment has been movies that play to an older adult audince," a studio source tells me.)

So the studio settled on the release date of mid-February because "that's when Silence Of The Lambs came out" back in 1991 and it won the Oscar. "Now that the Academy has Best Picture to 10 films," an insider notes to me, "it will be easier for a movie that came out in the beginning of the year to get nominated for Best Picture."
Posted by SoulHonky, Fri Aug-21-09 02:08 PM
This is probably the best move for the film. It really didn't seem like an Oscar bait type film.

EDIT: Just blogged about this on the ol' soulhonky.com but Paramount doesn't really have an Oscar contender. They are doing the Lovely Bones with Dreamworks and I'm not sure what else they have. Then again, if they don't have the money to support Marty, would they really spend it on JJ Abrams?
470910, Had no idea the pic is already on people's Oscar list
Posted by jigga, Fri Aug-21-09 02:30 PM
Not really my cup of tea
470956, it's oscar bait mostly because of the names attached
Posted by Wordman, Fri Aug-21-09 07:39 PM
Marty and Leo. It's good material, the book is solid, but this isn't exactly the kind of flick that gets oscars.
The last one that did was Anthony Hopkins for Silence Of The Lambs, which makes the move to february all the more smart.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams
470955, initially shocked, but makes sense
Posted by Wordman, Fri Aug-21-09 07:36 PM
that lets you know how sad this year's oscar field looks when this has a serious shot at winning something. Not that a Marty/Leo film wouldn't be oscar bait, it just doesn't seem like the kind of flick that would take.

471123, Brad Grey cops pleas regarding the move (swipe)
Posted by ZooTown74, Sat Aug-22-09 04:17 PM
deadlinehollywooddaily.com:

>UPDATE 4:30PM: Paramount Chief Brad Grey has now released a statement: "Our 2009 slate was greenlit in a very different economic climate and as a result we must remain flexible and willing to recalibrate and adapt to a changing environment. This is a situation facing every single studio as we all work through the financial pressures associated with the broader downturn. Like every business, we must make difficult choices to maximize our overall success and to best manage Paramount’s business in a way that serves Viacom and its shareholders, while providing the film with every possible chance to succeed both creatively and financially.

"Leonardo DiCaprio is among the most talented actors working today and Martin Scorsese is not just one of the world's most significant filmmakers, but also a personal friend. Following a highly successful 2009, we have every confidence that Shutter Island is a great anchor to lead off our 2010 slate and the shift in date is the best decision for the film, the studio and ultimately Viacom."
Posted by Wordman, Mon Aug-24-09 10:25 PM

470919, This is the least I've looked forward to a Scorsese flick in a long time
Posted by Marauder21, Fri Aug-21-09 03:03 PM
Maybe since Bringing Out The Dead (which wasn't a bad film at all.)

I'll still see it, but I'm cautious.
470990, stupid
Posted by dunk, Sat Aug-22-09 12:06 AM
why would you push this back? out of all the other movies they pick a leo, scorsese pic that damn near everyone wanted to see before the trailer even dropped. plus this is way more accessable than any of their previous projects and they got a track record of stacking up oscars noms every-timef their movies drops . i don't feel like waiting an extra couple of months.
471166, can I play Longo and spoil the obvious ending of this movie?
Posted by Duval Spit, Sat Aug-22-09 08:03 PM

Ben Kingsley is 67.

I mean CMON.
471311, lol.
Posted by ansomble, Sun Aug-23-09 03:23 PM
The movie looks boring.
472516, RE: can I play Longo and spoil the obvious ending of this movie?
Posted by rdhull, Thu Aug-27-09 10:12 PM
>...
>
>
>...
>
>
>...
>
>...
>
>
>...
>
>
>...
>
>
>...
>
>
>...
>
>Ben Kingsley is 67.
>
>I mean CMON.

idea of The Ninth Configuration eh?

"Hi"-(c)Joker
475611, Finished the book; unless it's changed it in the movie, the answer is
Posted by ZooTown74, Tue Sep-15-09 12:09 PM
NOPE!

The twist in the book is actually... um... pretty interesting. I want to see how the film handles it.

And no, I'm not going to spoil it, even if people start trying to guess what it is...
Posted by Duval Spit, Tue Sep-15-09 08:04 PM
but I will fully assume that they do change the end until I see otherwise.
if I see this at all.
502070, No, you damn fool. Kingsley is NOT 67. I know who it is. (MAYBE SPOILER)
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Feb-07-10 02:08 AM
I haven't seen it. But I have a very sneaking suspicion that #67 is...

.... Leo himself. BAM!
472620, I'm actually VERY interested.
Posted by spades, Fri Aug-28-09 02:37 PM
I'm not usually a fan of Marty's, but I'm curious to see what he can do w/something that's so far outta his lane.
472623, RE: tell me I'm not the only one looking forward to Shutter Island
Posted by deacon, Fri Aug-28-09 02:48 PM
I'm actually looking forward to this a well, I was a little disappointed when the release date was pushed back.
472651, Reading the book now
Posted by ZooTown74, Fri Aug-28-09 04:17 PM
Posted by Anfernee, Sat Aug-29-09 08:36 PM
In fact, after seeing the trailer, I actually have zero interest.
502054, how come nobody been talking about this?
Posted by Deebot, Sat Feb-06-10 11:36 PM
Or am I missing something?