Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectWait No Watchmen Director's Cut Post? Ok Here it is:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=463219
463219, Wait No Watchmen Director's Cut Post? Ok Here it is:
Posted by Shawn Maxam, Sun Jul-19-09 10:38 PM
I know the dvd comes out Tuesday but I saw in Manhattan on Friday.

Aren't they showing it in L.A., Dallas and Chicago as well?

Anyway I liked about 2/3rds of the new footage...

At times the new footage made the pacing seem a little-bit off i.e. there were some awkward transitions etc.

Even though the film is now 3 hours long it didn't feel as long as the first time I watched...I don't know if that is because I went in prepared for a specific cinematic experience.

SPOILERS:

I though the alley way fight scene w/ dan and laurie was still awkward even though Zak inter-cut it w/ Dr. Manhattan's tv interview. I just think this scene will never really work in the movie IMO.

the original Nite Owl's death scene is pretty cool if slightly redundant in some shots of the comedienne's death.

enjoyed the CIA's scenes w/ Silk Spectre II post Manhattan's disappearance.

Still think that there are a few weird song choices i.e. Hallelujah during Owl/Spectre's love scene.

SPOILERS END:

Overall I enjoyed the film much more this time. Not sure why but I must concede that Zak is talented director especially visually.
463743, RE: Wait No Watchmen Director's Cut Post? Ok Here it is:
Posted by Shawn Maxam, Tue Jul-21-09 06:12 PM
up
463758, BLU-RAY must buy of teh year!
Posted by jetblack, Tue Jul-21-09 08:19 PM
463761, I'll wait til December.
Posted by xbenzive, Tue Jul-21-09 08:54 PM
for the full cut?!
463829, Yeah Watchmen Ultimate Edition in Dec. I'm waiting for that.
Posted by DeadMike, Wed Jul-22-09 10:00 AM
463971, wtf, is that 18 hours long?
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Wed Jul-22-09 05:40 PM
463828, I just bought the regular ed.
Posted by quikfit, Wed Jul-22-09 10:00 AM
$19.99 for the 1 disc regular
$29.99 for the 2 disc extended. Not worth $10 for me to get 24 extra minutes and some BS extras. Just want to watch the flick.
464036, picked up my copy today
Posted by Wordman, Wed Jul-22-09 11:34 PM
gonna watch it tomorrow.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams
464330, the director's cut is a VAST improvement....
Posted by gluvnast, Fri Jul-24-09 07:36 AM
i never realize how bad the editing from the 1st theactrical version was until i watched this
464502, RE: Wait No Watchmen Director's Cut Post? Ok Here it is:
Posted by ILL FLOW, Sat Jul-25-09 05:44 AM
the REAL QUESTION....

Does the DVD provide an "Underwear"/"No Underwear" option...

cuz i think the theatrical version was enough... i don't personally need an extra 24 minutes of blue dick
464514, They should have used the Jeff Buckley version of "Hallelujah"
Posted by bluetiger, Sat Jul-25-09 10:41 AM
464529, They should have used ANYTHING but the version they used
Posted by Wordman, Sat Jul-25-09 12:30 PM
absolutely ridiculous.
The audience LITERALLY LAUGHED AT THAT SCENE BECAUSE OF THE MUSIC.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams
464622, Wordman's director's cut review
Posted by Wordman, Sun Jul-26-09 03:06 AM
Just the movie, I'll review the DVD itself in the next post.
I'll try not to include any spoilers.
The added scenes definitely help the movie, with maybe the exception of the last Hollis Mason scene. It's a great scene, but wasn't necessary and didn't really add to the movie.
Places where the theatrical release failed are the same places the director's cut failed.
It still feels hurried at the end.
Some of the acting is horribly cardboard. Malin Akerman was ridiculous, Dr. Manhattan shows more emotion - seriously. Matthew Goode is never comfortable as Ozymandias. It looks particularly bad because the other actors are doing good work. Patrick Wilson delivered a phenomenal understated performance, exactly what the part needed. Billy Crudup does a good job with Dr. Manhattan (even if his part doesn't feel as good as the other leads). The two jokers in this deck (Haley as Rorschach and Morgan as Comedian) stand out in the script and performance, with Haley trumping.
The dumbing down effect that occurs in American movies, and is promptly compounded with American comic book adaptations, is present here. Carla Gugino will never look 60 years old. She won't look 60 when she's 60. She won't look 60 when she's 70. It would have confused no one if an ACTUALLY 60 YEAR OLD WOMAN played the mother and Carla did the flashbacks. But apparently the audience isn't smart enough to figure that out. There's points where the script gets "comic book corny", plus the "this movie needs to be a big blockbuster" requirements. But you know that going in, which breaks your fall some.
There's surprisingly little they didn't film from the book, with notable exception being the newspaperman and the kid reading the comic. And the detectives' angle is never brought up. Oh, and the black freighter comic stuff (which they made a motion comic out of).
Bottom line - it's very difficult to make subversive material mainstream. When it works it's Fight Club (which made NO money in theatres). When it fails it's everything that looks like it's trying to be Fight Club (too many films to list). And Watchmen if VERY subversive, on top of being unfilmable for other reasons.
That being said, Snyder and co. made as good of a movie as one probably could, given their circumstances. So while the material would have been much more successful as a tv mini series, it doesn't fail as a movie. If anything, it makes you want to read the comic, which I feel is what the movie should do.

464623, Wordman's director's cut DVD review
Posted by Wordman, Sun Jul-26-09 03:19 AM
review of the DVD, not the movie (see previous post).
For a movie that was as hyped as this one, the dvd is very disappointing.
The price was higher than it should have been. The only reason I dropped $30 on it instead of waiting to find a used copy was to support my local, independent comic book store.
I don't know how many movie industry people I have to talk to for someone to get it, but you can't follow the music industry model and think you'll find success. If cats are gonna buy a PHYSICAL copy - make it worth their while. Otherwise, they'll download it.
The DVD is a complete joke.
Disc 1 contains no commentary of any kind. Of all the movies to warrant a commentary, it would be this one. Comic and film geeks would have loved it.
It contains no deleted scenes, which I'm to assume is because they were all used as added scenes.
Disc 2 has 1 behind the scenes feature - which was okay. Not the most amazing, but acceptable.
It also had a bunch of "journals" of the film - which in my opinion weren't worth it.
And it had the music video for the My Chemical Romance song. A movie that features music by The Smashing Pumpkins, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, but we get My Chemical Romance? Yeah, bad idea.
There's no booklet or anything, which isn't that big a deal, but still...
Oh, and to add insult to injury, they include two fliers. One for the video game (okay, cool, no problem), and another for the "super cool ultra edition" of Watchmen, coming out just in time for xmas. Which means you had to buy THIS copy of the movie to find out you want the OTHER copy of the movie. WTF!!!!! The other version has all the motion comics, the director's cut, and more bonus stuff. That does nothing but insult the fans who purchased this version, as well as oversaturate the market with various editions (there'll be 3 editions of this out before 2010).
And you wonder why cats download your shit.

465022, I picked up the DVD but...
Posted by Midtown Records, Tue Jul-28-09 01:39 AM
fell asleep in my first attempt to get through it.

I think it's safe to say I like the film visually way more than I like the film as a whole.

I don't know how necessary my purchase really was.

I may wind up trying to sell this back to the store where I bought it.