Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectLMAO I can't believe I wasted all that energy on this movie....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=455183&mesg_id=455580
455580, LMAO I can't believe I wasted all that energy on this movie....
Posted by Lardlad95, Fri Jun-05-09 04:43 PM
Was it better than I expected? Certainly. Fuck at certain points I was down right engaged. But come the fuck on. A masterpiece? This is exactly what I mean when I say that word is used too often.

It was much better than Perry's other films. And hell it was at least on par with a lot of overly dramatic oscar contenders that aren't really all that great, but that doesn't mean it's a "masterpiece". Now I understand why OE brought up Million Dollar Baby and Crash...cuz this is definitely in that category. Congrats homie, the movie is in "good" company.

Bates and Woodard are both superb actors so their performances were great even if these weren't their best roles. Some of the other actors gave good performances too. And the story was engrossing, but kind of in the way that a John Grisham novel is engrossing. A good read, but dude isn't gonna win any pulitzers.

The story was ok but over all the film suffered from Tyler Perry's main faults. 1 dimensional characters (this wasn't as much of a problem in this film as it was in his others), exposition where no exposition is needed (Taraji and Sanaa's first scene in the diner comes to mind), and a fucking dues ex machina ending that a child could have predicted 30 minutes in. Come on...who didn't know Nick was gonna show up at the end? And on the race relation stuff...more subtle than he has been, but there were some heavy handed parts. And there was no reason to bring up Spike Lee, different types of films, different commentaries on race.

You're right homie...I am an idiot, for engaging you in a debate over a movie that was good, but not nearly good enough to warrant the time I spent on it.

Masterpiece...LMAO!