Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectsmh
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=455183&mesg_id=455492
455492, smh
Posted by Lardlad95, Fri Jun-05-09 12:11 PM
>Hmm. You sound mad.
>
>Perhaps I actually just sat down and watched this
>film and thought it was phenomenal.
>
>How about that option?

If that were true you wouldn't need to be such an asshole about it, which you were in your original post. Maybe you should go back and look at the "options" you laid out for people that don't care for TP films. Cuz you started off talking shit...maybe if the movie was that great you could rely on your analysis of the film and not feel the need to defend the film by insulting other people.

But hey you're right, that option certainly exists.

>LOL. Double standard.

What double standard? I'm not creating a conspiracy theory, I'm just point out that you're being a dick. You want to bash those other shitty movies, by all means do your thing. I just find it funny that half of your argument for The Family That Preys was based upon insulting people who don't care for TP films.

>LOL - the "overblown pathos" to which you speak didn't
>grow on a fucking tree, Einsten. It grew from actual
>people who review and write about movies for a living
>deciding that those film were excellent and constantly
>writing and talking about them.
>
>None of that was done for 'The Family that Preys'.
>
>My point is indestructible here: the gap in critical
>acclaim between 'The Family that Preys' and any of the
>films that we AREE were mediocre is astronomical in
>size.
>
>And again - insofar as this is the case, my comparison,
>and associated asshole-ishness, is warranted.

It's only warranted if you put a lot of stock in those critics. And seeing as how you claim to think they're full of shit I find it odd that you do put some stock in to their opinions.

I reiterate my point...who gives a fuck what they think? They got it wrong with those other films right? So why do you care what they have to say about a director that you like?

>Oh, yeah -- it is, however, fun to remind the hipster
>douchebags,
>and the insecure black guys on Okayplayer, that their views
>suck.

Right it is better to be a reactionary douche bag.

>Because they are on display in this very post.
>
>You made an awful point about Tyler Perry having
>an "exclusive handle on the black experience."
>
>That is a lie, and is false, and again - you should
>be ashamed of yourself for having made it.

Sure, why not.

>Well - you are making points about this film without
>having seen it. That's not an intelligent thing to do.
>
>When I call you an idiot for it, I'm not making any
>"assumptions," I'm instead going off of what you
>actually said.

What did I actually say about The Family that Preys? Reading is fundamental homie. You're not going off what I actually said. Cuz I never made a claim about the movie its self. My problem was with how you were judging TP's work against works that were acclaimed by critics. You weren't making a point you were bitching because some other shitty movies got shine instead of one that you liked. I never said a thing about the movie its self.

What I did say was that from your statements about the movie it "seems" like TP fell in to a familiar trap. That statement was based off 1) What you said about the film and 2) My opinions of Perry's other movies.

And like I said if I see the movie and love it I'll come back here and say so.But for the time being, from what I see, Tyler Perry is no more equipped to reflect the "black experience" than any other black director. He deals with a particular subset of black life, just like Spike does. And the criticisms that you applied to Spike can just as easily be placed upon Madea Goes to Camp. Both of them swing and miss.

>Sounds like a reading comprehension problem to me.

I guess that's a problem we both have then

>I was specifically talking about how black and white
>people interacted in TPs film, and how everything wasn't
>polarized, but still had racial/cultural character. Its
>the sign of good filmmaking.

Your second point started with a blanket statement.

"The film captured the way black and white people
actually interact."

The interactions between people in TP movies are no more all encompassing than in Spike Lee films. Nor are his portrayals of individuals from various ethnic and socio economic backgrounds. Yet you imply that Tyler Perry captures how people "actually" do this that and the other. That's what I mean when I brought up the "black experience" thing.

But hey, if he does it in this film (cuz he sure as hell didn't do it in the others) then kudos to you.

>What does my "shrill and insecure defense of TP films" have
>to do with you drumming up an awful point about filmmakers
>trying to have an "exclusive handle on the black experience?

I'll concede that the "shrill" thing was poorly placed, it wasn't meant to be part of that section of my reply.

>Please, and no, I don't feel sorry for you, so miss me with
>that damsel in distress shit.

Who the fuck asked you to?

>Educated blacks are his harshest critics, and Tyler Perry
>FANS are more often than not the ones who have to defend
>themselves.

That doesn't excuse you making assumptions about why someone likes or dislikes his films.

>"Pulling the same shit as them."
>
>Hmm.
>
>So did I question your "blackness?"

No, but you did the "elitist" thing, which is what I meant when I said you were doing the same old shit. You see I brought up two of the usual ways. I conceded that you didn't do the first and that my bringing it up was preemptive.

>LOL. No, YOU MADE THAT ASSUMPTION because you don't think
>for yourself.
>There's plenty of reasons for me to poke fun at a Tyler Perry
>critic that have nothing to do with the race of the
>criticizer.

And yet you did that in your original post...hmm...

>Well, you're the one making baseless(and wrong) assumptions
>about what Tyler Perry is trying to do in his films that
>you haven't seen.

In his "films" that I haven't seen? I hope that's a typo because I was basing my arguments on the films that I have seen, and once again I never actually made a point about the one I didn't. I just think your original post reeks of insecurity.

>Not me.
>
>You're also the one who assumes that I question the blackness
>of anyone who doesn't like his films.

And i conceded that you didn't do that. do you want a fucking plaque certifying that shit.

You did however bring up another tired attack on TP's detractors. Not to mention you did go after white people in your original post.

>Because, again, I think for myself.
>
>You should try it some time.

No you think you think for your self. More than likely you're just salty because you like TP and a lot of people don't.

You wanna like his movies? Like his movies but don't talk shit about people for not liking dude. And don't assume to know why they don't like him.

The problem here isn't the film, I've already said that. The problem is you're too insecure to make a case for TP without being a doucebag because a few critics don't care for Madea Meets the Wolfman.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one"-Anonymous

The sharpest sword is a word spoken in wrath;the deadliest poison is covetousness;the fiercest fire is hatred; the darkest night is ignorance.-The Buddha