Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subject....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=455183&mesg_id=455473
455473, ....
Posted by Lardlad95, Fri Jun-05-09 11:05 AM
>What, specifically, is "shrill" about it? I provided
>specific examples and backed up every claim. Just
>because I made fun of people like you in the process
>doesn't mean the review was disingenuous.

I do think you're being disingenuous, but more so you're being reactionary because Tyler has been called a hack by most film critics and a large segment of the movie goers and you're turning fanboy red over that shit. I'm suggesting that you're going overboard as a way to compensate for the fact that dude's work is often bashed. I'm not saying he can't make a good film, I don't think any of his films are horrendous. I've seen many many movies that were worse that anything Tyler Perry could do on a bad day. But it does seem like you're over compensating.

>You are just skeptical about my review because I'm writing
>about Tyler Perry, and deep down inside you feel that he's
>not capable of making a "masterpiece" because he's well...
>...Tyler Perry. And the rest of your post sort of tips me
>off to these preconceived notions and biases.

No, I feel like he's not capable of making a masterpiece because most directors are not capable of making a masterpiece. The word "masterpiece" carries with it a particular weight and I feel like it's thrown around way too much.

No I'm not saying he can't make a masterpiece, I just wouldn't bet on it. Fuck I might be surprised. The damn Cubs are capable of winning a world series....I just wouldn't put money on them.

ee them coming up all that much.
>
>Disgree. 'Crash' most certainly will be discussed, for a
>long, long, time. But even still - that's irrelevant, because
>all three were roundly praised by "intellectuals" for being
>excellent films. I don't care if they aren't discussed longer
>than 2 days. The fact that they were mentioned as such for
>2 days makes that 2 days longer than 'The Family that Preys'
>was mentioned as such.

Crash will be discussed because it won an Oscar when it didn't deserve it.

>And so we have:
>
>- 3 shitty films discussed as masterpieces for at least
>one year, and roundly lauded by "intellectuals"
>
>- Tyler Perry's film which wasn't lauded as a masterpiece
>for a single day.
>
>Insofar as said disparity exists(and exist it does), it
>justifies
>the comparison.

And you're talking to me about insecurities? Who gives a fuck if those shitty movies tricked a bunch of intellectuals into saying they were great. Now that the sheen has worn off I think a lot of people see them for what they were, a bunch of "prestige" Oscar conteders that turned a bunch of sap into award nominations. They were thought of as great because a bunch of trickery and overblown pathos, not because they were actually great.

Why does it matter, if The Family That Preys is a masterpiece, that it wasn't listed with these films? If it is a masterpiece it's a masterpiece regardless of what some hipster douchebag at the Village Voice says.

>See, this is what I mean:
>
>"Hell, I'll indulge you."
>
>You've already convinced yourself that this film cannot
>possibly be a "masterpiece."
>
>That's what I mean by people who have low intellectual
>self-esteem.
>I mean, god forbid you even *attempt* to think for yourself
>on the matter. LOL
>
>If you did, you would REALLY like a Tyler Perry movie, which
>would make you a lot like the average joe, the ones who you
>spend a lot of your time trying to feel smarter than.
>
>And we can't let that happen, can we?

Dude you don't even fucking know me. Why are you making assumptions about my taste in films or my "intellectual insecurities"

If I thought for myself I "really would like a Tyler Perry movie"...How the fuck can you possibly tell a person what they'll like if they think for themselves? So you can only belong to two camps, either you like TP or you don't. And within those two camps you have to follow the set talking points? Maybe you don't think for yourself.

And please please don't you dare question my views on the "average joe", because once again you don't know me and for you to presume that I'm an elitist because I don't like TP really shows just how insecure you are about your own tastes in films.

I don't dislike TP films (the ones that I've seen) because I want to "feel smarter" than other people. I just genuinely don't care for his movies. I also don't particularly care for obtuse french films where a crying clown flips a pancake in the middle of a museum. God forbid someone have different tastes than you but not fall in to your preconceived notion about people who don't like TP.

>a) You haven't seen the movie, and so your prediction is
>illogical and baseless

ok

>b) Even if it wasn't illogical and basis to make that
>prediction, the prediction is still wrong, because 'The
>Family that Preys' does none of that. It talks about the
>black experience in a very, very, specific context, and
>doesn't hope to examine every issue, in every context, or
>make sweeping racial commentary about anything. It is a
>"self contained(as someone quoted above)" film about a
>specific interaction. If anything, the film's most sweeping
>themes have almost nothing to do with African-Americans
>specifically, and even the subtle ones that do are
>underhanded and appropriate.

I said your comparisons to Spike Lee suggest that about the film. I never made a concrete statement about the film. If the film doesn't actually do that fine, I've got no problem admitting I'm wrong when I am. My problem is with, as I said before, your shrill and insecure defense of TP films and your opinions of people who don't like his movies.

>c) Even your Spike Lee point is wrong, because no filmmaker
>or film can tackle any one experience in its entirety, and
>no one has ever tried to tackle the whole thing, so again,
>you're pushing against an open door.

Spike likes to believe he's the irate conscience of Black America...that comes through in his films and when he does try to tackle race, that can at times make his broader statements seem narrow. If you disagree fine, but that's my opinion of Spike Lee.

>Well great - thankfully Perry never said he had an
>exclusive handle on the "black experience" any more than
>Scorcese said he had such a handle on the "Italian
>experience."

ok

>And anyone who says Perry tries to do that is an idiot,
>because his films, even the silly comedies, are about
>specific situations and interactions that are often good,
>sometimes not, sometimes funny, sometimes not, sometimes
>moving, sometimes not, but overall - about a specific
>setting.

Well a lot of people do say that about Tyler Perry when defending his films.

And in regards to my statements on my own "Blackness" I did that for a very specific reason. I did it because I was trying to hedge off the common arguments against people who don't like TP films. Because honestly you're pulling the same shit most of them do. Accusing his detractors of being elitists seems to be a primary tactic of yours. Another common defense is to question the Blackness of the detractor or to comment on the fact that the person is white. You didn't do that, good for you. But seeing as how you seem intent on churning up the same old bullshit I had a 50/50 chance of you making that argument.

>No, you won't. You've already convinced yourself that
>you don't like him, and the film. I wouldn't bother
>watching it, because you're almost guaranteed to nitpick
>in the name of trying to feel smart and exercising the
>insecurities that you're infected by(mentioned above).

Dam...jump to assumptions much? My problem is with your stereotypical depiction of TP detractors and your insecure defense of your own tastes in film. If it's a good film it's a good film. Don't presume to know my reactions to certain films just because I don't care for the TP movies I've seen. You have a real narrow view of how people consume art and it's no wonder why you're coming off as bitter.

It seems to me that you're mad that a bunch of Film Studies majors said some mean shit about a director that you like, so your response is to go overboard in defending a man who, I'm sorry to break this to you, probably won't be remembered as one of the greatest directors of our time. Once again though, when I see the movie if it's as masterful as you say it is I'll come in here and admit that you were right.

I must say though it seems funny to me that you're automatically assuming that I automatically won't like the movie. I think there's a story about a pot and a kettle that's appropriate for this situation.

I don't dislike TP because other people don't or because he's TP. I dislike his films and his TV because I don't think they're good.

>>His TV shows are inexcusable though.
>LOL.
>
>Notice how you ended your post with a negative point about
>Tyler Perry, about something we're not even talking about.

I'll take any opportunity to make that point as long as that garbage is on the air.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one"-Anonymous

The sharpest sword is a word spoken in wrath;the deadliest poison is covetousness;the fiercest fire is hatred; the darkest night is ignorance.-The Buddha