Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThere's a difference between a good film and a masterpiece
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=455183&mesg_id=455435
455435, There's a difference between a good film and a masterpiece
Posted by Lardlad95, Fri Jun-05-09 09:37 AM
And your rather shrill defense of the film doesn't convince me that you're being completely honest when you call it a masterpiece.

Million Dollar Baby was over hyped. Crash was a piece of sentimental drivel. Syriana, while entertaining wasn't nearly as deep or complex as they made it out to be.

But guess what, none of these films are really going to be discussed 10 years down the line, at least not beyond the pretentious discussions of film nerds, and even then I don't see them coming up all that much.

Even if The family That Preys is good or (hell I'll indulge you) better than the crappy films you mentioned, that doesn't mean it's a masterpiece.

Also, your comparison to Spike Lee suggests that Tyler Perry is making the same mistake that Spike often makes, boiling down race relations and the "Black experience" to a set a of tropes that don't reflect the true complexity of Black life in America.

Cuz I can tell you, I don't relate to a lot TP's films, and I don't think that he has an exclusive handle on "the Black experience" he just happens to have a handle on a particular type of "Black experience". And before you question my blackness and or my familiarity with his set pieces, I've lived in the South most of my life and if St. Joseph's Baptist Church in Beaufort, SC ain't a "Black Church" I don't know what is.

But hey, I'll give it a chance.

His TV shows are inexcusable though.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one"-Anonymous

The sharpest sword is a word spoken in wrath;the deadliest poison is covetousness;the fiercest fire is hatred; the darkest night is ignorance.-The Buddha