Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectAway We Go with Maya Rudolph and John Krasinski - Seen it?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=453884
453884, Away We Go with Maya Rudolph and John Krasinski - Seen it?
Posted by earthseed, Thu May-28-09 11:40 AM
For those that haven't seen it, here's the link for the trailer: http://www.filminfocus.com/focusfeatures/film/away_we_go/

You can also see the synopsis there.

I went to the advance screening last night (thanks Film Metro)I was kind of disappointed in Maya and John's representations of their characters;however, Chris Messina really made the movie for me. I wanted the Montreal section to be longer because of him.

Overall I would give the movie a C+ but would watch again, only for Chris Messina.

Anyone else see it? What were your thoughts?

455495, going tonight
Posted by mellowly, Fri Jun-05-09 12:19 PM
i really want to like this movie. the actors, the writers, the director... it's all such a good mix on paper.
455786, me likey
Posted by mellowly, Sat Jun-06-09 06:24 PM
so, it's not perfect... but it had me laughing out loud a handful of times and really wanting nuthin' but good things for this couple.

it's funny, cuz i just finished reading the book One Big Happy Family, edited by Rebecca Walker.... it's all these essays on family, what family is/means for different writers... personal stories. I feel like this movie was a little bit of that book - Verona and Burt go on a search to figure out where they want to start their family and end up passing time with a disparate group of families. Through all of that to come to conclusions about what they do and don't want for themselves and their family.

Maya is scarcastically funny, but with rounded edges in place of biting sharp ones. She plays Verona as cautious, slightly fearful but ultimately trusting. John's Burt is the one full of nuthin' but hope and blind trust.

The people they visit are all extreme versions of families either totally disfunctional, or trying to embodying some sort of nontraditional lifestyle. The bits in Montreal and Miami felt more real than the others.

I wish they had elborated more on Verona & her sister and what their family was like.

It was written by David Eggers and his partner/wife (??). I wonder how much of it is autobiographical for them?
455506, It's good to see him play something other than Jim
Posted by placee_22, Fri Jun-05-09 01:04 PM
even in the movie w/ Mandy Moore, he was still Jim.

...and the trailer looks good *shrugs*.
455947, what else has he been in besides Jarhead?
Posted by Jay Doz, Sun Jun-07-09 10:39 PM
459627, Leatherheads
Posted by calij81, Mon Jun-29-09 10:48 AM
459646, i saw him in smiley face (2007)
Posted by mind_grapes, Mon Jun-29-09 11:57 AM
which is a great stoner film
459805, Dreamgirls
Posted by jigga, Tue Jun-30-09 10:00 AM
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1024677/
456737, I have to agree with you here. I think that he still had some Jim moments
Posted by earthseed, Thu Jun-11-09 10:02 PM
throughout the movie though.

I still think that Chris Messina was the best by far in the movie. I need to see him in something else and soon.

Also, I didn't mention this before - but it's weird seeing Rose from Two & a Half Men playing a non-comedic role.
459576, thats where she is from!!
Posted by bleekgilliam_420, Mon Jun-29-09 06:40 AM
>Also, I didn't mention this before - but it's weird seeing
>Rose from Two & a Half Men playing a non-comedic role.

ive been wrecking my brain about this all weekend.
455911, I loved it. Not perfect, but I loved every second.
Posted by quakka1, Sun Jun-07-09 05:23 PM
459559, Saw it. Dug it. Not perfect, but its warmth won me over.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jun-29-09 01:06 AM
http://www.examiner.com/x-15321-Jacksonville-Film-Examiner~y2009m6d29-Away-We-Go-a-rare-indie-comedy-full-of-warmth-and-love

Some will be bugged by its episodic script, and some will be bugged by the somewhat-cartoony supporting characters (I was definitely much happier when Allison Janney and Maggie Gyllenhaal weren't onscreen), but I was stunned at how uncynical and pleasant the film was.
459561, I really liked it
Posted by buckshot defunct, Mon Jun-29-09 01:21 AM
Much more than I was expecting to. I'm with Longo and the warmth and sincerity thing. That's what really won me over about it. The sad parts were genuinely sad, the poignant parts were genuinely poignant, and the funny parts were genuinely funny. Not at all the hipster quirk-fest I was expecting.
459774, liked it alot, good to see Maya in a "serious" role
Posted by gusto, Mon Jun-29-09 11:17 PM
jim was not-jim enough to be not-distracting.
i liked maggie's role. was quite well (overly)played.
459804, I'm hearing it's the anti-Revolutionary Road
Posted by tappenzee, Tue Jun-30-09 09:39 AM
Like Mendes needed to show that suburban life isn't all hopeless despair and crying.
459820, They aren't suburban. In fact, the suburban families ARE fucked up, lol.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jun-30-09 11:38 AM
They live in a fucked-up rented shack in Colorado with no heat in the winter, then travel around town in their Ford POS looking at suburban lives which all are unhappy or misguided to some degree.

If anything, it reinforces that suburban stereotype, lol. What it DOES have that American Beauty and Revolutionary Road didn't have was a depiction of smart warm people in love.