Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectYES!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=453878&mesg_id=453917
453917, YES!
Posted by Big Chief Rumbletummy, Thu May-28-09 02:33 PM

Succinctly put.

I've been coming to the realization lately that while I like Kevin Smith, feel he is a oft-times brilliant writer, I enjoy his "evening with" stuff (to a certain extant), and a few of his movies are unforgettably funny to me...I kinda wish he would grow the eff up.

His "evening with" stuff is great for his "outsider-turned-insider" looks at Hollywood and the free and easy way he discusses stuff average movie goers wouldn't know about. But man I find myself often thinking, "You are a 30-something father with immense writing talent...the depths of what you like to discuss is how good fat men are at cunnilingus?".

I've shit on him and his films for years because of his utter lack, or refusal, to grow as a director (Dogma could have been one of the best movies of the last 25 years if helmed by someone with half a decent eye) while absolutely loving his writing ability. However with Z&MMAP, he really surprised me. Tracking shots?!? In a KS movie? Blocking?! "Wha-happm?!?" © Mike La Fontaine. But still the film's subject and depth was juvenile at best.

So anyway...yeah, like you said, bignick, a talented guy wasting his time saying dick pussy shit

©
I'm mainly known for my rough raps
but kids steal my lyrics like hubcaps
and eat em like stacks of flapjacks like rugrats
HEY
and I gets bizzy over unknown tracks
while the next man flaps his lids like Parkay