Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectLOST: The Variable (100th Episode!!)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=448818
448818, LOST: The Variable (100th Episode!!)
Posted by wordlife, Wed Apr-29-09 02:45 PM
i am too hyped about this episode!!!

-the return of Faraday
-answers!
-etc.

peep out some Doc Jensen to get your wheels turnin before tonight's episode

in 5, 4, 3, 2, ....
448827, It's funny, last Wednesday, I was jonesing for a new ep
Posted by spades, Wed Apr-29-09 03:57 PM
Now I feel kinda blase about it.

Hopefully it's a good one.
448849, The Constant..
Posted by The3rdOne, Wed Apr-29-09 06:18 PM
which is probably one of the show's top 5 episodes, IMO, did a lot to give the tonite's episode a lot of pressure to live up to its namesake. The way this season is going so far (3 stars out of 5) i'd say this shit better be great...

448863, I need someone in the WH press pool to stand up and say...
Posted by CaptNish, Wed Apr-29-09 07:45 PM
..."Mr. President... you're gonna need to wrap this up. L O S T is due on."
448865, BOOM! Done by 9. He really *IS* my president!!!
Posted by CaptNish, Wed Apr-29-09 07:56 PM
448871, He's a fan.
Posted by xbenzive, Wed Apr-29-09 08:09 PM
He was walking fast after the press conference.
448874, sheeeeiiiit, what do you think he's watching right now?
Posted by sevencents, Wed Apr-29-09 08:14 PM
448884, Pretty good ep!!!
Posted by HoneyBrown, Wed Apr-29-09 08:59 PM
448885, Eloise is cooooooooold bloooooooded
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Apr-29-09 09:05 PM
448904, damn....(spoilers)
Posted by sevencents, Wed Apr-29-09 11:12 PM

(SPOILERS)

RIP Faraday.

One of my favorite characters on the show.

7c
448890, Good Ep. I'll wait for Melanism to do his thing, though...
Posted by disco dj, Wed Apr-29-09 09:22 PM
448902, it was actually a good episode
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Apr-29-09 10:55 PM
too bad they've completely overused the *tense music violins*

they did it twice in less then minute right at the beginning.

fuck this shitty ass show

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/rjcc.png

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
448903, I don't know why they're doing that
Posted by simpsycho, Wed Apr-29-09 11:04 PM
It's always been a little corny, but it's getting really bad. I suppose it would have more impact if the things they were revealing weren't so damn obvious.

Still, it was a pretty good episode. It's not touching the early seasons, but it's better than the last few.
449016, they just do it over and over and over again
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Apr-30-09 02:34 PM
it really kills the moment

448917, im quite done with LOST
Posted by SankofaII, Thu Apr-30-09 12:02 AM
but will fuck with it occasionally because my mom watches it and wants to talk about it after its over...and watched tonite.

but the music violins were annoying as fuck...and it was a good ep, not outstanding...

i guess ill care when the final season premieres in january 2010 when they'll HAVE to wrap everything up and explain it...
449079, Music
Posted by Sponge, Fri May-01-09 06:48 AM
I LOL'd in the last episode at the ridiculous music during the shot revealing to Sun that Locke isn't dead.

I think they should stop with the suspenseful/twist music because pretty much anything goes with time travel, dead people being undead, the connections between characters, and all that.
449087, there's gotta be a limit, I can't be THAT surprised more than once per show
Posted by Rjcc, Fri May-01-09 07:50 AM

448914, Dont forget Kimmel tonight
Posted by gusto, Wed Apr-29-09 11:44 PM
448919, I hope they play a trick on us and make this the last season
Posted by silentnoah, Thu Apr-30-09 12:14 AM
they could wrap things up in the next couple episodes
448944, seriously, their solution to fixing it all is wack
Posted by Kevan, Thu Apr-30-09 07:17 AM
lazy writing. all the buildup and investment for them to be able to reverse it like it never happened? faraday being widmore's son? wack. i've never really taken issue with anything else they've done, but that is some garbage.
448975, How so?
Posted by spades, Thu Apr-30-09 09:39 AM
448932, I liked it, I didn't love it.
Posted by CaptNish, Thu Apr-30-09 01:42 AM
Weird episode. Feels like it's one of those ones I'm gonna need to watch again.
448934, eh, it's getting better (but still sucks)
Posted by Nopayne, Thu Apr-30-09 01:55 AM
448941, 30 years ago...
Posted by Zeno, Thu Apr-30-09 06:32 AM
How could Faraday's mother be both on the island shooting future Daniel and off the island watching young Daniel play piano? Unless she was leaving the island like Widmore was (mentioned by Ben in Dead is Dead), this makes little sense.
448953, ummm, becuz it was 30 years ago...
Posted by wordlife, Thu Apr-30-09 08:19 AM
that means that things weren't going on at the same time... think about it.. not too hard, just a little bit. lol.
449177, that's ridiculous.
Posted by disco dj, Fri May-01-09 01:06 PM
>that means that things weren't going on at the same time...
>think about it.. not too hard, just a little bit. lol.

you've bought into the bullshit. There's no way this shit can end with ANY logical explanation.

448956, Thoughts/Observations/Questions
Posted by Melanism, Thu Apr-30-09 08:52 AM
http://blog.melanism.com/2009/04/30/lost-season-five-the-variable/

What I Liked:

* What a great episode! Definitely one of the best of the season and probably will make the top 15 episodes of Lost ever.
* Jeremy Davies gave an amazing performance and I hope if isn’t overlooked come Emmy time. From his confidence as he tried to get his plan moving to the look on his face when he realized everything he believed was wrong and he was betrayed by the person he loved the most (finally someone on the show has mommy issues)
* The scene between Daniel and young Charlotte was touching (although it’s sad that adult Charlotte remember him as some crazy man)
* The look on Juliet’s face when Sawyer called Kate “Freckles” and how quickly she gave her the code for the sonic fence like “Time to go, bitch”
* Desmond lived!
* Confirmation that Charles Widmore was Daniel’s father
* All the call backs to previous episodes this season like young Charlotte’s line, the opening scene to the season, Jughead
* As everything started to fall apart, LaFleur slowly turned back into Sawyer with the nicknames
* Jack is out of the weed haze he’s been in since heading back to the island and is actively involved again
* The shootout with Radzinsky (even though we know he’s going to blow his brains out in the Hatch, I wish he could die twice)
* The final scene was just…WOW. Faraday didn’t just get shot, his whole world imploded on him looking into his young mother’s eyes and Davies played it perfectly.
* A special shout-out to President Obama for wrapping up his press conference on time. He must be a Lost fan

What I Didn’t Like:

* If he really is dead, I’m really really going to miss Jeremy Davies. His performances were one of the biggest highlights of the last two seasons.
* Now, despite how great an episode this is, I’m concerned if this is the endgame - altering the past to change the future. I don’t think is (we still have another season to go plus the people in the present) but I really hope that’s not how everything gets resolved.

Lines of the Night:

* “Good Lord, no!” - Eloise’s response to Penny thinking Ben Linus was her son
* “I got some bad news for you, Jack, You don’t belong here at all. She was wrong.” - Daniel to Jack regarding the destiny Eloise told him about
* “I can make time” - Young Daniel to his mother
* “The women in your life will be terribly hurt” - Eloise to Daniel regarding his future love life
* “I punched the man in the face. What am I supposed to say. My fist slipped.” Sawyer to Hurley about how to explain the man in his closet to the Dharma folks
* “You guys were in 1954? Like, Fonzie times?” - Hurley
* …”Helping H.G. Wells here talk to his mommy ain’t got nothing to do with it!” - Sawyer regarding Daniel’s plan to see the Hostiles
* “I’m not allowed to have chocolate before dinner” - Young Charlotte (this was the last thing adult Charlotte said before she died)
* “Uh, do you have something for a beginner” - Daniel to Kate while she was handing out guns
* “For the first time in a long time, I don’t know what is going to happen next.” - Eloise to Penny
* “He’s my son too.”- Widmore to Eloise regarding Daniel
* You knew. You always knew, but you sent me here anyway.” “Who are you?” “I’m your son” - Daniel and Eloise after she shot him

Questions:

* Why did Eloise pressure Daniel to become a great physicist and send him to the island knowing she was going to shoot him when she could have prevented? Was she hoping that he would be able to change things?
* Why did Widmore send Daniel to the island for that matter?
* Does this mean that Daniel is wrong about variables and destiny?
* Does this mean that the attempt to set off Jughead also falls under the category of “what happened, happened”?
* Is Daniel’s confession about his (and Miles’) true nature to Dr. Chang the reason he sends his wife and son away off the island?
* Did Ben know that Daniel was Widmore’s son?
* Why the hell did Sawyer and Juliet feel the need to pack so much shit?
* Why doesn’t Eloise know what is going to happen next anymore? Has Daniel already altered things by involving Desmond?
* What role will Desmond play in the rest of the series?
* Where is Sayid and Rose and Bernard and Vincent?
* Did Hurley and Jin get away?
448974, Responses/consigns/Attempts at answers
Posted by spades, Thu Apr-30-09 09:39 AM
>http://blog.melanism.com/2009/04/30/lost-season-five-the-variable/
>
>What I Liked:
>
> * What a great episode! Definitely one of the best of the
>season and probably will make the top 15 episodes of Lost
>ever.
> * Jeremy Davies gave an amazing performance and I hope if
>isn’t overlooked come Emmy time. From his confidence as he
>tried to get his plan moving to the look on his face when he
>realized everything he believed was wrong and he was betrayed
>by the person he loved the most (finally someone on the show
>has mommy issues)

Yeah, man, he NAILED that death scene. It really stuck w/me.

> * The scene between Daniel and young Charlotte was
>touching (although it’s sad that adult Charlotte remember him
>as some crazy man)

SMH, I was really kinda disappointed by that. He SWORE he wasn't gonna do it, AND if his aim really was to change thigns, WHY follow in ur footsteps?

> * The look on Juliet’s face when Sawyer called Kate
>“Freckles” and how quickly she gave her the code for the sonic
>fence like “Time to go, bitch”

Loved that, love Juliet, and I LOVED that she still took his hand to get up off the couch. Juliet is my kind of girl!!

> * Desmond lived!

Knew it all the time, I ain't never scared!

> * Confirmation that Charles Widmore was Daniel’s father

Again, KNEW it. Who else would it be.

> * As everything started to fall apart, LaFleur slowly
>turned back into Sawyer with the nicknames
> * Jack is out of the weed haze he’s been in since heading
>back to the island and is actively involved again

Loved the line Sawyer shot him - "When you realize you've made a huge mistake..." LaFluer is STILL in effect. He's so much more sure of himself. He, John and Jin are the ONLY characters to show any damned growth on the show, no wonder they're my favorites!

> * The shootout with Radzinsky (even though we know he’s
>going to blow his brains out in the Hatch, I wish he could die
>twice)

I HATE that dude!

> * The final scene was just…WOW. Faraday didn’t just get
>shot, his whole world imploded on him looking into his young
>mother’s eyes and Davies played it perfectly.

> * Now, despite how great an episode this is, I’m concerned
>if this is the endgame - altering the past to change the
>future. I don’t think is (we still have another season to go
>plus the people in the present) but I really hope that’s not
>how everything gets resolved.
>
2ndly WHY would Jack flip so quick from wanting to get back to wanting to go?

Why would Kate want to prevent the crash, she was on her way to prison.

>Lines of the Night:
>
>
> * “I can make time” - Young Daniel to his mother

That was a little tough.

> * “The women in your life will be terribly hurt” - Eloise
>to Daniel regarding his future love life

I think she was talking about herself too.

> * “Uh, do you have something for a beginner” - Daniel to
>Kate while she was handing out guns

That was cute.

>
> * You knew. You always knew, but you sent me here anyway.”
>“Who are you?” “I’m your son” - Daniel and Eloise after she
>shot him
>
Again, wow wow wow - great scene.

>Questions:
>
> * Why did Eloise pressure Daniel to become a great
>physicist and send him to the island knowing she was going to
>shoot him when she could have prevented? Was she hoping that
>he would be able to change things?

Nah I think it was all in the interests of making sure everything that happened ACTUALLY happens.

> * Why did Widmore send Daniel to the island for that
>matter?

Ditto

> * Does this mean that Daniel is wrong about variables and
>destiny?

I believe so.

> * Does this mean that the attempt to set off Jughead also
>falls under the category of “what happened, happened”?

Yep

> * Is Daniel’s confession about his (and Miles’) true
>nature to Dr. Chang the reason he sends his wife and son away
>off the island?
> * Did Ben know that Daniel was Widmore’s son?

Doubt it. Before his time.

> * Why doesn’t Eloise know what is going to happen next
>anymore? Has Daniel already altered things by involving
>Desmond?

She's been dealing w/info from the 1970's. The point when everyone esle goes back to the island was the end of her knowledge base.

448977, Did anyone hear what Faraday replied....
Posted by c71, Thu Apr-30-09 09:56 AM
....when Jack asked him about his goal when they were approaching the Other's camp grounds (the last Faraday response before the commercials)?

something like "mumble mumble...stop" or "pop"
448978, "I'm going to detonate a hydrogen bomb"
Posted by spades, Thu Apr-30-09 10:12 AM
448980, Thanks
Posted by c71, Thu Apr-30-09 10:29 AM
some background noise (not from the show) caused me to barely hear that comment.
448981, You need to get that DVR, fam.
Posted by spades, Thu Apr-30-09 10:35 AM
My girl, STAY talking to me in the middle of my shows. I just pause that shit, or back it up. It's a godsend.
448984, RE: You need to get that DVR, fam.
Posted by Ardbeg25year, Thu Apr-30-09 10:40 AM
It is so hard to watch tv without pvr or dvd. Impossible.
449023, My theory of time travel and lost
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Apr-30-09 03:20 PM
There seems to be two competing theories going here. 1.) you can't change history, whatever happens, happens and 2.) Maybe you can.

I am in the latter group. My theory is that you can change the past ONLY if you know what happens. Faraday's was getting close to this theory when he started talking about variables but he was missing a big part: He didn't know that he was going to be shot in the back by his mother.

Think about if he knew that fact. He could have simply walked into camp without a gun and may be there would have been a different result.

My theory is as soon as you observe the past you have already begun to change it. The problem with the Losties is that they are trying to change a past they didn't observe. For instance, Jack tried to change the past by not operating on a young ben linus thinking he would die and never grow up to put them through the ordeals that they had. If only Jack knew that by saving young Ben then he might have avoided Ben hooking up with the others.

"See he's organized, and he's on the ball. Never miss a day of school,and he's a underdog. Wanna learn more and more, cuz his mama taught him good. He's about to change the face of yo ghetto neighborhood." (c) Badu
449032, I'm still a whatever happens happened guy.
Posted by CaptNish, Thu Apr-30-09 03:47 PM
Because as much as Dan kept on his "Variable" crusade... he still put into effect everything that already occurred. he still talked to Charlotte like a crazy man. He put the idea in Chang's head to send Miles and his mom off the island. And (I'm thinking) he made it so that Jack and the rest carry out his play, which in fact won't stop The Incident, but I'm thinking will cause it.
449033, I JUST GOT SHOT BY A PHYSICIST.
Posted by roaches, Thu Apr-30-09 03:55 PM
anyone else a radzinsky fan? when we first heard of him in season 2, who woulda thought he'd turn out to be a sorta manic bootleg paul giamatti? the degree of dharma's militarization bugs me out.

the episode was cool. dan was running amok, high on his own free will and then, boom, he got sonned by his own fate. i was kinda glad to see him go, the creepy scene with charlotte and his mewling for Mother's Approval may have irrevocably harmed my opinion of him.

also:
* Baby Dan must already be around somewhere - I don't see Ellie letting anyone up her skirt again after she finds out she shot her own spawn. Maybe the island gets pissed about it, too, and starts killing pregnant women and their fetuses to keep it from happening again.

* The revelation that Widmore's Dan's dad was lame but it shed light on why he tried to keep Desmond and Penny apart.
449036, "bootleg paul giamatti" ha!
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Apr-30-09 04:03 PM
when that dude comes on screen, I get nervous like someone is about to die.

"See he's organized, and he's on the ball. Never miss a day of school,and he's a underdog. Wanna learn more and more, cuz his mama taught him good. He's about to change the face of yo ghetto neighborhood." (c) Badu
449047, This had the 12 Monkey thing going on...
Posted by xbenzive, Thu Apr-30-09 10:49 PM
the episode was good, but being the 100th episode, I expect better. The problem is that it was too predictable except the ending, but I knew someone was going to die, just don't know who.
449200, RE: This had the 12 Monkey thing going on...
Posted by noahbird, Fri May-01-09 02:06 PM
There hasn't been much that shocked me this season, especially since reading Doc Jensen's weekly recap both totally clues me in to all the (potential) threads we're seeing come together, and ties in all of the past season details, but also posits what it might all mean.

That being said, I love this show more and more all the time. I no longer need to be shocked, I simply love the story, watching the characters I love and, if the show ultimately ends well, how deftly and expertly the overall story has been constructed and told. Pretty damn amazing.
449050, Who else realized that the past Eloise and others got Faraday's journal
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Apr-30-09 11:10 PM
Not only that but she gave it to him, with the inscription so that when he died and she found it she would know it was real, and have all of the secrets he'd figured out about the island. It's cold blooded but at the same time... g'damn.

My only question is how Eloise knew what to tell Desmond when he was leaping around? That wouldn't have been in the journal, or maybe it would, in some rough estimation.

And her whole I don't know what's going to happen of course relates to she is now at the present of her past.

Mind fuck I say. Mind fuck. But a good one.
________
<- Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
AvantUrb - http://avanturb.com

My Rhythm Inc Guest Mix - http://is.gd/saNR
Bangs in the Club - http://is.gd/ubE3
449180, they show Jack w/ it in the preview for next week tho
Posted by LiShang52, Fri May-01-09 01:27 PM
not to say that Eloise and the Others couldn't somehow get it in the end, though.
449055, IT'S THE DIGGY-DIGGY DOC Y'ALL (link)
Posted by ZooTown74, Fri May-01-09 12:38 AM
Good-ass read... NOPE! GOODE!

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1550612_20245769_20275722,00.html
Let's listen
449057, 7 pages of "I don't know"
Posted by Rjcc, Fri May-01-09 12:55 AM

449074, Seriously. He's been on extreme MSU duty.
Posted by CaptNish, Fri May-01-09 02:22 AM
449176, does that page load slow for everybody?
Posted by k_orr, Fri May-01-09 01:04 PM
*stuck with ie6 @ my work computer*
449259, I can never read those, to be honest.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat May-02-09 01:38 AM
It's all a little too masturbatory for me. On occasion he'll remember some shit from past episodes that I don't, but all the theorizing he does usually just irritates me.