Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectCosign.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=436561&mesg_id=436721
436721, Cosign.
Posted by ZooTown74, Wed Feb-25-09 07:28 PM
I mean, if you ask most cats about their favorite seasons of The Wire, more than a few will completely skip over season 2. And why is that? Because it's not focused as much on "life on the corner" as seasons 1, 3, and 4 were. Some people claim that's "more relatable," but I also believe there are a lot of folks who are watching just for the sex and violence in the hood.

I also just think it's too simplistic to say "well, this show didn't have an audience solely because the white folks in the suburbs wanted soap opera escapist entertainment (like The Sopranos) and The Wire was too real and gritty to them"

There's much more to it, and it completely ignores the notion that there are white folks who tuned into the series after it was over on DVD

I mean, let's just mention how HBO dropped the promotional ball on the show during those first 3 seasons

Let's talk about the uncertain scheduling and the quiet promos that aired whenever the series was about to return (at least for the first 3 seasons)

Let's discuss how HBO didn't send out season screeners to Television Academy voters, just doled out episodes 1 at a time (at least for the first 3 seasons)

Let's talk about the fact that Simon and Burns didn't even know from season to season if they would be able to continue... how can you get the word out about a show that you don't know will still be in production?

I hate to be the Alan Keyes of this post, but the reasoning here is too simplistic for me... not to say that white indifference wasn't *one* factor, but it wasn't the only one (and we know, "but we mentioned other shit like the dense and difficult storytelling," but that's not really what's being focused on here)...