Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI disagree
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=436561&mesg_id=436672
436672, I disagree
Posted by ZooTown74, Wed Feb-25-09 05:02 PM
The focus of The Sopranos might have been a little more on the psychology of a man who had work-related and family-related stresses, but it wasn't any less "real" than The Wire

Although one could argue that the family-related stress of one's own mother trying to have them killed is unrealistic, but that was only the first 2 seasons of the show, as they shifted to more of a focus on Tony's relationships with his family and the people he "works" with; his occupation just so happened to be mob boss

This concept may or may not be more comfortable for white folks to deal with (I mean, who can't relate to family issues and work issues)... maybe it was a more personal, palatable reality than the street reality of The Wire?

I'm always encouraging anyone who will listen to watch the highly underrated season 4... not to see who did or didn't get "whacked," but to note the interpersonal dynamics of that season, especially Tony and Carmela's marriage (and the very notion of marriage and marriage as a business) in the context of a post-9/11 world...