Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectTwo Lovers (Joaquin Phoenix, Gwenyth Paltrow, Vinessa Shaw)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=435007
435007, Two Lovers (Joaquin Phoenix, Gwenyth Paltrow, Vinessa Shaw)
Posted by dunk, Thu Feb-19-09 09:41 AM
I peeped this and it's a great movie. Glad to see a quality film this early in the year and a great romantic drama that wasn't cheesy.

The whole cast was on point acting, Joaquin and Paltrow usually are, and I'm glad Vinessa Shaw, with the little she had with her character, put in a good performance (and looks good as a brunette)

The story was pretty predictable but I still enjoyed it. The characters of Phoenix and Paltrow were great, esp. the former and both were passionate and pretty damn intense with their scenes together.

a solid flick that i'd give an 8/10 to.
435014, i saw a preview of this before The Wrestler.
Posted by iagoali, Thu Feb-19-09 10:30 AM
the audience openly mocked every second of it.
435278, LOL and how so?
Posted by madwriter, Fri Feb-20-09 01:47 PM

--------
<--------- my cousin
www.richardlouissaint.com
photobloggin' it:
http://blog.richardlouissaint.com
Join Creative Slump No More: www.creativeslumpnomore.com
438189, just your average groaning, laughing, etc.
Posted by iagoali, Mon Mar-02-09 07:54 PM
435033, if MC Walking Phoenix does the soundtrack, i'll watch.
Posted by FortifiedLive, Thu Feb-19-09 11:35 AM
436295, He does have a brief rap in it
Posted by jigga, Tue Feb-24-09 04:00 PM
sans beard tho
435037, Checkin this out on Monday. Joaquin works well with James Grey.
Posted by jigga, Thu Feb-19-09 11:49 AM
I love his performance in both The Yards & We Own the Night so I've been looking forward to this one for awhile as well.
435056, is this out yet?
Posted by Wordman, Thu Feb-19-09 12:53 PM

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams
435120, it came out feb. 13th
Posted by dunk, Thu Feb-19-09 05:10 PM
435351, Word? How did that slip past me? Thanks. nm
Posted by Wordman, Fri Feb-20-09 10:55 PM

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams
435206, I loved it
Posted by mrshow, Fri Feb-20-09 03:05 AM
I thought it was better than anything I saw in 08 but that could just be me.
435213, RE: I loved it
Posted by Sponge, Fri Feb-20-09 04:59 AM
How does it stand up to his other films? I like all of them especially The Yards.
435214, I havent seen The Yards but...
Posted by mrshow, Fri Feb-20-09 05:11 AM
Disclaimer: I really hated We Own The Night and almost wrote Gray off because of it.

I'd say it's on par with Little Odessa but definitely shows how he's maturing as a writer/director. It could be argued Two Lovers is a less dark film as well.

435216, RE: I havent seen The Yards but...
Posted by Sponge, Fri Feb-20-09 05:32 AM
Cool. Little Odessa is my 2nd fave; We Own the Night is my least fave. So I feel better about this film if it's on par with LO. At Cannes, the French liked TL, the American critics didn't, more or less.
435277, funny me and the lady was gonna go see it
Posted by madwriter, Fri Feb-20-09 01:46 PM
but turns out it was on demand
thank goodness
for all the good acting
it was pretty unsatisfying by the end
realistic portrayal of dysfunctional relationships
but man i just didn't care about anyone and Vinessa was so underused\

I would have chosen her over gywneth's character
but then perhaps that's why he was drawn to her cause he was fucked up too.
435315, Vinessa Shaw was really underused
Posted by dunk, Fri Feb-20-09 06:23 PM
i felt the same way. Her character was way more stable and had a lot more going for her. Paltrow had beauty and that was it.

436293, The highlight for me was hearing Lujon & a Paltrow 1/2 rack
Posted by jigga, Tue Feb-24-09 03:52 PM
Other than that I wasn't too impressed. Gray's films are always very moody and this is no exception but it just felt pretty weird.

I couldn't ever get a feel for the characters ages or what era it was taking place in. It didn't look like Paltrow & Phoenix would be able to see each other from the windows of their apartments the way the earlier scene was shot from the inside of the unit. I see John Ortiz listed in the credits but I dont recall ever seeing him in it.

I could certainly relate to a couple scenes in the movie where he's torn between the two ladies. There were a few nice shots here & there. But overall I think Gray's better off sticking to the crime genre. I don't remember a lot about Little Odessa but I liked The Yards & We Own the Night much more than this latest effort. I also really hope this isn't JP's last flick either. Pretty good performance & I'd rather see more from him on a big screen than falling off a small stage or chewing gum on TV.

This is only the second time that I can recall hearing Lujon. Sexy Beast was the first time. It was used very well in both flicks & I hope to hear it again sometime soon. If anyone knows any other movies it was played in please let me know. Thanks.
437998, Shit looks corny to me nm
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Mar-02-09 12:25 PM
Or maybe I'm being negatively influenced by Joaqin's antics
Posted by Basaglia, Mon Mar-02-09 12:43 PM
but, okay.

maybe i shoulda titled it differently.
438024, shaw been on my radar since Ladybugs.
Posted by jigga, Mon Mar-02-09 12:52 PM
I was pissed she didn't get nekkid in Eyes Wide Shut
438059, it really isn't corny at all
Posted by dunk, Mon Mar-02-09 02:05 PM
I think his antics have been throwing you off cause this was some good acting by Joaquin as usual.

the film is a lot different from what the trailer portrays it to be.
449077, Almost a perfect good movie. Not a near-masterpiece or anything
Posted by Sponge, Fri May-01-09 06:44 AM
close to that, IMHO.

First, Shaw and Rossellini were excellent especially the former. I'm almost certain that they both won't be bumped from my SLA ballot when the time comes.

Visually precise. Some striking shots. Something about the shots; made the locations/story world real palpable. It had a tactile quality which is something that I love. Koteas was great. Really liked the ending.

Offhand, no complaints or criticisms, really, except for this:

**Spoilers**

the scene after the rooftop sex in which Paltrow's character said, "That was beautiful" and the left tit business and pretty much that whole scene. Just thought it was corny.

**End Spoilers**