Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectLOST: 316
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=434806
434806, LOST: 316
Posted by wordlife, Wed Feb-18-09 04:29 PM
looking forward to tonight's episode (as always). chime in before/after...

i predict that we will see a familiar face from last season...
434809, predictions:
Posted by Ceej, Wed Feb-18-09 04:41 PM
some people will like it, some people will not like it
434815, RE: predictions:
Posted by The3rdOne, Wed Feb-18-09 05:19 PM
>some people will like it, some people will not like it

another prediction: all will watch
434852, spoiler:
Posted by roaches, Wed Feb-18-09 08:50 PM
locke gets hit in the back of the head with a chair and takes a stone cold stunner. meanwhile, on the island, a midget pops out from between juliet's tits and it turns out he's also in love with kate and then he admits he just shitted on himself. cliffhanger: he introduces himself as jacob.
434885, Awesome
Posted by atldan, Wed Feb-18-09 10:11 PM
434886, i was right! didn't know that it would be Lapidas
Posted by wordlife, Wed Feb-18-09 10:12 PM
434954, huh?
Posted by Ceej, Thu Feb-19-09 12:04 AM
434914, So, are they back in time too?
Posted by Marauder21, Wed Feb-18-09 10:51 PM
Or not?
434953, I'd say yes based on the condition of the VW
Posted by Ceej, Thu Feb-19-09 12:03 AM
434985, how do you think that chick learned to speak korean?
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Feb-19-09 04:31 AM

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/rjcc.png

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
435004, nice... hadn't thought of that.
Posted by disco dj, Thu Feb-19-09 09:25 AM
435085, I thought it was implied once jin returned
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Feb-19-09 02:57 PM

435105, I prolly missed it.
Posted by disco dj, Thu Feb-19-09 04:04 PM
435109, didn't she tell faraday she couldn't speak other languages?
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Feb-19-09 04:16 PM

435005, Ahhhh
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Feb-19-09 09:32 AM
435024, Rosetta Stone.
Posted by FortifiedLive, Thu Feb-19-09 11:05 AM
435032, *light bulb comes on*
Posted by BlakGirlSoul, Thu Feb-19-09 11:34 AM

<--- I love ya man
http://blackgirlsdontdate.blogspot.com
Black Girls Don't Date - Coming soon!
435053, watch jin bust out with some perfect english soon
Posted by gusto, Thu Feb-19-09 12:44 PM
434964, is it just me or..
Posted by the_one, Thu Feb-19-09 01:10 AM
was the airplane they flew on was the same one that Sawyer and Juliet found pieces of while they were time travleing? Probably the weakest episode of the season; i still liked it though.
435009, yep. They found a water bottle from the flight.
Posted by disco dj, Thu Feb-19-09 09:46 AM
which makes me believe that some of them ( maybe Lapidus or Ben or whoever) landed in the water, and somehow got on those boats.

434984, ooooh! look how interesting that ajira air shit turned out to be!!!
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Feb-19-09 04:31 AM
not.

434997, The plot doesn't bother me at all
Posted by Brother_Afron, Thu Feb-19-09 08:40 AM
however, the characters annoy me to no end.

Someone with Inside Info: You HAVE to do _____!

Main Characters: Why?

SwII: Because you HAVE to!

MC: Why?

SwII: It needs to be this way.

MC: Oh, okay.

434999, so r we to believe that scene where Jack is on his back was his 2nd visit
Posted by Ceej, Thu Feb-19-09 08:41 AM
or did he land in the same spot the same way TWICE?
435006, It wasn't the exact same spot though
Posted by Marauder21, Thu Feb-19-09 09:34 AM
In the first episode he was near the beach.
435008, oh okay, I thought it was the same exact scene
Posted by Ceej, Thu Feb-19-09 09:43 AM
435010, nah, he had on a White shirt in the original crash.
Posted by disco dj, Thu Feb-19-09 09:47 AM
the only reason I remember that is because one of the guys at the J-O had the Jack Shepard figurine from S1 on his desk, and it has on a white shirt, not a blue one.

435012, ok cool
Posted by Ceej, Thu Feb-19-09 09:49 AM
435001, Thoughts/Observations/Questions
Posted by Melanism, Thu Feb-19-09 08:46 AM
http://blog.melanism.com/2009/02/19/lost-season-five-316/

What I Liked:

* The gang is back together on the island!
* I was worried we’d spend another 2 episodes of Jack trying to re-convince the Oceanic Six to join him on the plane but nope. Everyone just mysteriously showed up
* The way the episodes have been structured this season, they work much better when they focus on the island folks OR the Oceanic Six as opposed to flashing back and forth
* Ms Hawking’s Dharma information dump since it seems this might be the last time we see her
* The sexy Zuleikha Robinson (Federal Marshall Illana who accompanied Sayid) has arrived. I kinda love her

What I Didn’t Like:

* I missed the island folks (I hope this is the last time I’ll ever have to say that)
* We still don’t know how going back to the island is going to save everyone else
* A part of me feels like this episode was a little rushed but I am glad that we’re already back to the island
* We didn’t find out how Sayid and Hurley ended up on the plane but hopefully that will be rectified
* I’m worried about Penny

Lines of the Night:

* “I wish… you had believed me.” - Locke’s suicide note to Jack
* “You say the island’s not done with me? Well, I’m done with the island.” - Desmond to Ms. Hawking
* “These people, they are just using us. They are playing some kind of game and we are just the pieces. Whatever she tells you to do, ignore it.” - Desmond to Jack regarding Ms. Hawking
* “We’re on the same plane, it doesn’t mean we are together.”- Kate
* “How can you be reading?” “My mother taught me.” - Jack and Ben on Aijira Airlines Flight 316
* “You tell me Jack—you’re the one who got to stay after school with Ms. Hawking.” - Ben to Jack
* “And the other people on this plane, what’s going to happen to them?” “Who cares?” - Jack and Ben
* We’re not going to Guam, are we?”- Frank Lapidus

What We Learned:

* Jack wakes up on the island liked he did in the pilot episode in Season One
* He finds Hurley and Kate in the water
* 46 hours earlier, Jack, Ben, Sun and Desmond are in the church with Ms. Hawking
* Ms. Hawking takes them to the pendulum room and reveals that this place is a DHARMA station called The Lamp Post and was created to find where and when the island would appear.
* Using the formula, Ms. Hawking has found a window for them to get back on the island but they need to take Aijira Airlines Flight 316 to Guam. They have to recreate the crash of Oceanic Flight 815 as best as possible
* Desmond leaves angrily saying that he’s done with the island even thought Ms. Hawing tells him that the island isn’t done with him
* Ms. Hawking pulls Jack aside and gives hi, John Locke’s suicide note. She tells Jack that John is going to act as a proxy for Christian Shephard and that Jack must give Locke something of Christian’s
* Sun leaves before agreeing either way
* Ben tells Jack he has to keep a promise to an old friend and tie up a loose end and that they’ll pick up Locke’s body on the way to the airport
* Jack gets Christian’s shoes from his grandfather Ray
* When Jack gets home, Kate is waiting for him in bed. She agrees to go with him but he must never ask where Aaron is
* In the morning, Jack gets a call from Ben who has had the shit beat out of him (again) and he asks Jack to go pick up Locke’s body from the butcher shop
* At the butcher shop, Jack puts Christian’s shoes on Locke and sticks the suicide note in Locke’s suit pocket
* At the airport, Jack again has problems getting the body on the plane. A man in line behind him gives Jack his condolences. While at the ticket counter, Jack sees Kate, Sun and Sayid (accompanied by a Federal Marshall) heading to the plane
* Hurley, carrying a guitar case, buys all the remaining available seats on the plane so no one else can get on
* In the front of the plane is Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, Ilana (the Federal Marshall), Sun and the man who was in line behind Jack
* A stewardess hands Jack Locke’s suicide note
* Before the door closes, Ben gets on the plan with a sling around his arm and tons of bruises
* The captain of the flight makes an announcement and it’s Frank Lapdius!
* Frank comes out to see Jack and notices the other Oceanic Six people on the plane and says “We’re not going to Guam, are we?”
* After talking to Ben, Ben goes to the front of the plane and Jack finally reads Locke’s suicide note which reads “Jack, I wish you had believed me. JL.”
* Plane starts to experience turbulence and then there’s a white flash and Jack wakes up on the island.
* He gets to Hurley and Kate and neither can recall a plane crash or anything
* A DHARMA van pulls up and a man comes out pointing a gun
* It’s Jin (!) wearing a DHARMA jumpsuit and his sunburn is completely healed

Questions:

* Where’s Aaron?
* What favor did Ben have to keep and loose end did he have to tie up? (Please don’t be Penny! Please don’t be Penny!)
* How did Ben end up beaten up (Please don’t be Desmond! Please don’t be Desmond!)
* How did Hurley know what flight to be on?
* What’s up with the guitar case that Hurley was carrying?
* Is it okay that Aaron wasn’t on the flight?
* How did Sayid end up in custody and why would he need to be transported to Guam?
* What happened with Sun between the time she left the Lamp Post and the time she arrived at the airport?
* How did Ms. Hawking end up with Locke’s suicide note?
* How did Jack and company end up on the island sans a plane crash?
* What year is it when they get on the island? It’s the 70’s because it’s the DHARMA era but how close to the Purge are we?
* What else does the island want with Desmond?
* Who came up with the formula that helped Ms. Hawking find the island?
* Is Widmore aware of the Lamp Post and, if so, how come he hasn’t used that to get back to the island?
* Who was the man who gave his condolencese to Jack and is seated with the Oceanic Six?
* Did Locke really kill himself?
* It was 46 hours later when Jack and company made it to the island but Ms. Hawking said they only had 36, what happened in those 10 hours?
* How is all of them returning to the island going to help especially considering they all didn’t return?
* What did happen to everyone else on Aijira Flight 316?
* Why didn’t Frank get off the plane the second he saw those Oceanic Six fuckers?

-------------------
"Fuck yo couch, nigga!" - Tom Cruise

http://blog.melanism.com
http://twitter.com/Melanism
http://preptimeposse.blogspot.com
http://write.melanism.com
http://www.myspace.com/melanism
http://www.last.fm/user/Melanism/
435003, Answers
Posted by disco dj, Thu Feb-19-09 09:24 AM
>
>Questions:
>
> * Where’s Aaron?

I'm thinking he'seither Dead or hidden with someone who'll never be revealed. Kate probably gave him to someone to protect his safety. I can't see the writers letting a kid get killed ( even if it's off camera).

> * What favor did Ben have to keep and loose end did he
>have to tie up? (Please don’t be Penny! Please don’t be
>Penny!)

I'm thinking he went to kill Penny, and that's how he got his ass kicked. When he saw Desmond, he knew Penny couldn't be too far away...

> * How did Ben end up beaten up (Please don’t be Desmond!
>Please don’t be Desmond!)

Probably Widmore's goons. But then again, Desmond is a military man, so it's possible he whipped his ass ( this hinges on Ben coming to kill Penny, of course...)

> * How did Hurley know what flight to be on?

as with the rest of his life, probably dumb luck. But he DID have Charlie's guitar, so maybe somehow he knew...

> * What’s up with the guitar case that Hurley was
>carrying?

I think it's Charlie's. He probably had to take it back.

> * Is it okay that Aaron wasn’t on the flight?

well, they seemed to have landed alright, so apparently so.

> * How did Sayid end up in custody and why would he need to
>be transported to Guam?

who knows? But the gril with him usually plays middle eastern characters ( she was in "Namesake") so knowing that, she might be playing a War Crimes type person. But why would they be going to Guam?

> * What happened with Sun between the time she left the
>Lamp Post and the time she arrived at the airport?

She probably went home and packed? ( jokes)

> * How did Ms. Hawking end up with Locke’s suicide note?

dunno.

> * How did Jack and company end up on the island sans a
>plane crash?

dunno.

> * What year is it when they get on the island? It’s the
>70’s because it’s the DHARMA era but how close to the Purge
>are we?

dunno.

> * What else does the island want with Desmond?
> * Who came up with the formula that helped Ms. Hawking
>find the island?

well the documents on her wall were Military. And remember Widmore was in a military organization while he was on the island in the 50's...

> * Is Widmore aware of the Lamp Post and, if so, how come
>he hasn’t used that to get back to the island?

maybe he can't find it...

> * Who was the man who gave his condolencese to Jack and is
>seated with the Oceanic Six?

dunno, but I like that actor.

> * Did Locke really kill himself?

we'll see next week.

> * It was 46 hours later when Jack and company made it to
>the island but Ms. Hawking said they only had 36, what
>happened in those 10 hours?

probably not much.

> * How is all of them returning to the island going to help
>especially considering they all didn’t return?

they all did, except for Aaron.

> * What did happen to everyone else on Aijira Flight 316?

I think the term might be "Collateral Damage"

> * Why didn’t Frank get off the plane the second he saw
>those Oceanic Six fuckers?

How? they were already in flight. What was he supposed to do? Parachute off?

>
435022, Sun's daughter didn't come with them...
Posted by 83, Thu Feb-19-09 11:02 AM
sorta kinda techinically she should be with them.

Hmmm I wonder if they will tie in a "when does conception begin" thing somehow.
435028, she was conceived on the island.
Posted by disco dj, Thu Feb-19-09 11:19 AM
>sorta kinda techinically she should be with them.
>
>Hmmm I wonder if they will tie in a "when does conception
>begin" thing somehow.

remember when she was worried that it wasn't jin's Baby, and that it might be the other guy's baby ( the rich guy she was cheating with).

the date proved that she was concieved on the island (after the island gave Jin his Mojo back)...

435051, More Answers...
Posted by wordlife, Thu Feb-19-09 12:40 PM
* Where’s Aaron?
>>with Claire's Mommma

* What favor did Ben have to keep and loose end did he have to tie up? (Please don’t be Penny! Please don’t be Penny!)
>>I think he went after Penny

* How did Ben end up beaten up (Please don’t be Desmond! Please don’t be Desmond!)
>> Desmond, or Whidmore's People, whooped that tail

* How did Hurley know what flight to be on?
>>Charlie tells him?

* What’s up with the guitar case that Hurley was carrying?
>>Maybe it's one that Charlie owned?

* Is it okay that Aaron wasn’t on the flight?
>>Yeah, he's special

* How did Sayid end up in custody and why would he need to be transported to Guam?
>>Prolly find out next week

* What happened with Sun between the time she left the Lamp Post and the time she arrived at the airport?
>>See above

* How did Ms. Hawking end up with Locke’s suicide note?
Hmm, see above... but i bet she was with Locke when he died

* How did Jack and company end up on the island sans a plane crash?
>>??

* What year is it when they get on the island? It’s the 70’s because it’s the DHARMA era but how close to the Purge are we?
>>we'll see, but def seems like 70s. Hmmm, i have a new question below...

* What else does the island want with Desmond?
>>he's special so i'm sure we'll find out. i bet it has something to do with Daniel

* Who came up with the formula that helped Ms. Hawking find the island?
>> Daniel?

* Is Widmore aware of the Lamp Post and, if so, how come he hasn’t used that to get back to the island?
>>Wait a minute???? see below...

* Who was the man who gave his condolencese to Jack and is seated with the Oceanic Six?
>>New character named Ceasar

* Did Locke really kill himself?
>>I think so

* It was 46 hours later when Jack and company made it to the island but Ms. Hawking said they only had 36, what happened in those 10 hours?
>>good question

* How is all of them returning to the island going to help especially considering they all didn’t return?
>>they did

* What did happen to everyone else on Aijira Flight 316?
>>???
* Why didn’t Frank get off the plane the second he saw those Oceanic Six fuckers?
>>he wants to be down

okay i have a couple questions:

Since they are back in the 70s, will there be 2 Ben's there or will he just pop back into his younger self? should be interesting

And my other question is big, i think. If Ms. Hawking was explaining that the Lamp Post was their way of finding the island, what sense does that make if she (and widmore) was on the island back in the 50s (rememebr the h-bomb)? Which came first, them being there and leaving or them finding out about the island and going there? i'm lost on that one.
435055, 2 answers
Posted by gusto, Thu Feb-19-09 12:50 PM
prolly last longer here then in GD

>Questions:

>be transported to Guam?

Probably a layover flight. Aijira seems to be an Indian airline. Frank said sometimes he flies the big bird (747) straight to India. So they fly the 737 to guam and then to somewhere else probably (even though as I mentioned above 737 would be short about 1,000 miles of fuel from LA to Guam) So he was prolly going somewhere else after guam.

> * It was 46 hours later when Jack and company made it to
>the island but Ms. Hawking said they only had 36, what
>happened in those 10 hours?

Probably 10 hours into the flight. She said 36 hours before flight took off, and 10 hours into the flight the flash.
435074, RE: Thoughts/Observations/Questions
Posted by aScribe, Thu Feb-19-09 02:18 PM
> * A part of me feels like this episode was a little rushed but I am glad that we’re already back to the island

I agree it felt slightly rushed towards the last half, but I think it will be worth the payoff if we get some interesting backstories on everyone's whereabout before boarding the flight - Ben, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, etc.

> * How did Hurley know what flight to be on?

Wasn't Ben's lawyer already processing paperwork for Hurley's release the night they went to see Eloise? Perhaps Ben told him about the flight once released? How he was convinced to board is another story.

> * Is it okay that Aaron wasn’t on the flight?

Well, that was at Ben's and Eloise's insistence. I guess we'll find out.

>be transported to Guam?

I'm thinking he is Kate's 815 analogue and so had warrants outstanding for his mercenary past with Ben in Guam, perhaps among other places.

> * How did Ms. Hawking end up with Locke’s suicide note?

The "Christian Shephard" entity told him to visit an Eloise Hawking. Perhaps he did right before committing suicide.

> * Is Widmore aware of the Lamp Post and, if so, how come
>he hasn’t used that to get back to the island?

Great question.

> * It was 46 hours later when Jack and company made it to the island but Ms. Hawking said they only had 36, what happened in those 10 hours?

Another great question
435023, last night, i didn't like it
Posted by pdafunk, Thu Feb-19-09 11:02 AM
but that was mainly due to the terrible exposition by ms. hawking. i hate when they just have diarrhea of the mouth to tell the viewer why things are happening. i've come around to appreciate the episode more.

but i think the O6 is back with dharma, but the Ijira plane crashed in 2009. when sawyer and them are getting chased in the outriggers, it's by the Ijira survivors. but right now the O6 are all back in time, they work for dharma, but they survive the purge and become the "Others" for the Ijira survivors, who are the new "Oceanic 6". or something.
435052, makes sense to me
Posted by wordlife, Thu Feb-19-09 12:42 PM
435047, ...
Posted by ZooTown74, Thu Feb-19-09 12:21 PM
Doc Jensen:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1550612_20245769_20259937,00.html
Posted by spades, Tue Feb-24-09 12:58 PM
Jack seemed more related to him than to Christian.
435069, My thoughts...
Posted by aScribe, Thu Feb-19-09 02:07 PM
Sayid and captor (Zuleikha Robinson from New Amsterdam!). If "Ajira" Sayid is "Oceanic" Kate's analogue, then it might be safe to assume he's being brought in while on the run for the numerous murders he's committed since being enlisted by Ben. Perhaps he was (correctly) arrested for the murders that Hurley was accused of and an outstanding warrant in Guam popped up due to his activity with Ben?

Hurley. In the episode two weeks ago, we found out that Ben's lawyer (when Ben pulled into a parking lot with Sayid) was already processing the necessary paperwork to get Hurley released the next day I believe. That explains his release and perhaps Ben or the lawyer inform him of the flight, and "ghost Charlie" convinces him to board it, complete with Driveshaft guitar.

Kate and Aaron. I'm lost as to how Kate was convinced to return - perhaps she had a run-in with Claire's psychic? That and her dream with Claire's warning convinces her to return but leave Aaron behind. There's a few folks that I'm thinking Kate left Aaron with - his grandmother (Claire's mother), Cassidy (Sawyer's long con girlfriend), or even Kate's own mother.

The Ajira water bottle and canoe. A few eps back, we saw Sawyer and company escaping on a canoe left by people on the 815 beach camp. The 815 beach camp had been built, so that means that was a glimpse of the future (at least a time after 815 crashed). We see (or assume) that the Oceanic 5 end up in the Dharma-past, so did some other Aijira passengers end up in another time? If so was it them on the 2nd canoe pursuing Sawyer's crew? Why did they shoot first?

Ji Yeon. Will Jin never get to see his daughter? Did Sun get to say goodbye to Ji Yeon before boarding the plane?

Hurley and dead people. Anyone else find it interesting that Hurley has seen several dead people (Charlie, Ana Lucia, Mr. Eko) and before leaving the island, Ben told Locke they needed Hurley as he was the only onw who could find Jacob's cabin again. Are these two circumstances connected? Is Jacob...dead?
435080, You all have me thinking the show is going in the "Wire" direction...
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Feb-19-09 02:32 PM
as in nothing really changes, only the faces. Flight Ariji = New Oceanic Survivors, Oceaniac Survivors = new "others", Christian = new jacob, John Locke = new ben.

"See he's organized, and he's on the ball. Never miss a day of school,and he's a underdog. Wanna learn more and more, cuz his mama taught him good. He's about to change the face of yo ghetto neighborhood." (c) Badu
435161, ^Very interesting^
Posted by phenompyrus, Thu Feb-19-09 08:25 PM
435159, no one else thinks kate murked aaron?
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu Feb-19-09 08:18 PM
the way she mad jack promise to never ask, her sudden willingness to go, and her 'on the run' outfit had me thinking she killed him so she wouldn't have to give him up. i mean, it's typical kate selfishness.
435247, is it possible she just gave him to claire's mom?
Posted by Oakley, Fri Feb-20-09 11:53 AM
435258, I think Claire came back or something like that
Posted by MadDagoNH, Fri Feb-20-09 12:46 PM
Which would explain how it fucked with Kate's mind so badly.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hobey Wilson

2006-07 Zeno Memorial League Champion
435189, Spoilers
Posted by paragon216, Fri Feb-20-09 12:34 AM
jack is a workman
http://spoilertv.iimmgg.com/image/6e08670dd309b9908c0d65a0c59428f9

miles and pops http://spoilertv.iimmgg.com/image/e4aaa7de782e513833dce1d15f478e03

locke and walt
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_n3eH1jI8AZ8/SQnWSBNPd0I/AAAAAAAAL1A/wQA_7CAh4gM/s1600-h/epi506+locke+walt.jpg

abbadon gets shot with locke as they visit a cemetery

Episode 5.13 - Some Like It Hoth
- Leading up to 5.13 Faraday has gone "missing" after exploring the Orchid amongst other things
- In 5.13 he reappears and is seen by Miles
- It's a pretty big reveal, as Daniel's whereabouts and activities have been missing for a while
- We some some some experimental stuff being taken from the Sub
- We see Radzinky and some Dharma Scientists in black uniforms along with Pierre Chang
- Daniel has been busy with something and is the setup for something big to happen

Episode 5.14 - The Variable
- This episode (still in draft production) is a direct follow up from The Constant
- It continues with Desmond's and Daniels adventures
- We get more info on why Daniels notebook statement "Desmond is my Constant"
- This episode starts filming in about 10 days
- The early planning of this episode may explain why Desmond left the army

LOS ANGELES (AP) - One of the biggest mysteries of "Lost" _ the Smoke Monster _ will be unveiled on the popular TV drama, and soon.

Actor Daniel Dae Kim, who plays Jin, said in an interview that the origin and nature of the malevolent dark cloud will be disclosed and viewers will even get a glimpse of its lair. Turns out the monster is as "old as the island" that's been home to the Oceanic jet-crash survivors and their foes.

Kim also cautioned against expectations that his character, Jin, will reunite with his wife, Sun (Yunjin Kim), even though Jin survived a freighter explosion and Sun returns to the island after escaping it.

Those events don't mean "they're particularly in the same place or chronologically in the same time," Kim said.

As for the atomic bomb that showed up in the "Jughead" episode, he said the show's producers rarely give something such prominence unless it counts in the island's mythology.

"That's a huge red herring if it's a red herring," Kim said, suggesting the bomb could help resolve plot points as the series ends in 2010.

Perhaps the time-traveling that's popped up this season might be one of those.

Liz: Speaking of obsessed viewers -- do you get recognized on the street?
Michael: I get that more and more -- not so much in Hawaii where I live. Maybe the tourists here have other things on their mind. The tourists here are heavily Japanese and I don't know to what extent we are watched in Japan. We're watched some, but I do have a kind of easy anonymity in my adopted neighborhood here.

Liz: A few more questions here that if I don't ask them, I'll never hear the end of it from my readers.
Michael:

Liz: Is Ben 100 percent cured of his cancer?
Michael: Oh, I -- yes -- there's nothing in the current storytelling that refers back to it. I don't think about it anymore. Maybe I should.

Liz: Will Ben ever meet Daniel Faraday, do you think?
Michael: I think he must sooner or later.

Liz: Well, he's already met his mother...
Michael: Yeah. Who's his mother?

Liz: You tell me. All signs point to Mrs. Hawking.
Michael: Ohhh. Yeah...

Liz: Is Nestor Carbonell -- who plays Richard Alpert -- wearing eyeliner?
Michael: No. But he has a kind of genetic beauty that is a rare thing in men or women. No, that's what he looks like when he wakes up in the morning. It's hard not to study his face and admire it.

Liz: Well you've probably just put to rest several theories about Alpert being a transplant from ancient Egypt.
Michael: Ah. Well, hold that thought about Egypt. That's all I'll say.

Liz: Will we find out what the deal is with the four-toed statue?
Michael: You are going to learn more about the world from which that statue came. I don't think we're going to see the statue again in context, but maybe. You'll certainly know from whence it is a relic.

Liz: Thank you so much for talking to us today.
Michael: My pleasure.

435229, Hurley reading the Spanish version of Y:The Last Man
Posted by Frank Mackey, Fri Feb-20-09 09:48 AM
good taste
http://www.flickr.com/photos/babydiana/3294357975/
435233, RE: LOST: 316
Posted by funklectic, Fri Feb-20-09 10:11 AM
worst ep this season... that whole ms hawkins speech put me off completely... i was looking at my tv sideways saying "GTFOOH"

and...

the characters didnt make enough of the fact that everyone turned up to be on the flight... and i know they're going to explain later but it was all dealt with very sloppily.

i love desmond (no homho)
435266, ^^^^sees through the bullshit
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Feb-20-09 01:12 PM

435272, what? how can you say they didn't make enough of it?
Posted by LiShang52, Fri Feb-20-09 01:32 PM
Jack is the only character who's timeline was fully explained, and he was making something of it. Its impossible to say what the others know or don't know at this point.
435285, Folks should have been asking more questions...
Posted by simpsycho, Fri Feb-20-09 02:57 PM
I guess Jack is the only one who knew enough to be asking, but Sun was the only one he was surprised to see. He knew Kate was coming but he didn't wonder how Hurley found out(especially considering Hurley didn't know Ben was a part of it), what Sayid's situation was or who beat the shit out of Ben? I'm sure he wouldn't have gotten an explanation form any of them, but to not even ask is some bullshit.
435350, washington post discussion
Posted by paragon216, Fri Feb-20-09 10:54 PM
Lost Dueling Analyses: '316'

In which Jen Chaney and I do our best to make sense of the crazy, mixed-up world that is "Lost." And don't forget to join us at 3 p.m. ET for The "Lost Hour live discussion.

Liz: Ben Linus may be coming from a place of good intentions but I think we can agree his lack of concern for the rest of the passengers on Ajira Airways Flight 316 was downright cold. I'm still shuddering from that chilling, "Who cares."

Speaking of chills, I had a few chill-worthy moments tonight. The most important came when Ms. Hawking was explaining that the island was one of several places around the world possessed of a "special energy." That rang a bell. And once you add to it the pendulum, I was bludgeoned over the head with the parallels to the book I'm currently reading, "Focault's Pendulum." I'll spare you the book report. Suffice to say that the book revolves around a 600-year plot by the Knights Templar to control something called " telluric currents" -- basically mystical energy currents that run underneath the crust of the planet. And even more interesting is that the Templars are using the pendulum to locate the navel (yes, navel) of the telluric currents -- the place from which all the others flow and that, once controlled, will give the person or persons in possession the power to control the entire world -- to conjure up tsunamis, shift continents, blot out the sun.

You get the point -- whoever wins that spot, wins the game. Hands down.

Jen: Wait, is this like the time Mr. Burns tried to block the sun from Springfield?

Liz: Not exactly.

Jen: In all seriousness, another episode absolutely brimming over with fodder for discussion.

In the first scene with Ms. Hawking alone, we learned more about the island -- definitively -- than we did in seasons one through three. She explained how Dharma used that pendulum to find the place. And she also told everyone that, as I think many viewers suspected, you can only land on the island during certain brief windows in time ( wormhole, anyone?). The notion of repeating the circumstances that landed them there in the first place is also fascinating, especially this idea that Locke is a proxy for Christian Shephard. And, in addition, Jesus.

Liz: Just to clarify, you're talking about Jesus Jesus -- not Madonna's new boyfriend, Brazilian model Jesus Luz?

Oh, and Ms. Hawking also said that the island is always moving -- I believe that was newish information, too. Definitely made sense when we consider Desmond's failed attempts to sail away from the island.

Jen: Of course I'm talking about Madonna's boyfriend. In a related story, is it me, or does Ben Linus remind anyone else of Jellybean Benitez?

Liz: I think it's just you.

Speaking of Ben ... as Jack came into his own as a man of faith, Ben seemed annoyed -- to say the least. He was dying to know what Ms. Hawking told Jack, yet when he had a chance to get in on a reading of Locke's suicide note he backed off. Just one of the curious things about Ben's storyline tonight. The other, of course, being the question about who exactly roughed him up. (More on this later.)

Jen: Let's talk about Ben and that suicide note for a second. You know, before we get biblical.

I wondered if Ben purposely got up and moved to another section of the plane, and not just to give Jack "privacy." It struck me as odd that he, Sayid, Sun and the two randoms on the flight (Sayid's marshal and the guy who felt sorry for Jack's loss) weren't with Hurley, Jack and Kate when they landed on the island. It could be a coincidence, but when it comes to Benjamin Linus, there ain't no such thing.

Liz: Agreed -- as I hinted above, doubts about Ben's intentions started creeping back into my mind pretty aggressively tonight. I'm not retracting my "Jen was right" yet, but be on alert. And I'm not the only one who doesn't trust Ben. Ms. Hawking doesn't seem to have much regard for him, either.

But wait -- where do you think the rest of the passengers ended up?

The pendulum. (Screengrab courtesy Get Lost Podcast)
Jen: I don't know where the rest of the passengers ended up. But I am a believer in the theory that perhaps everyone is on the island, but possibly some of them are in one time and some are in another.

And yes, when Ms. Hawking noted that Ben "probably" wasn't telling the truth, he looked more than a little annoyed. But Jack shouldn't even need to ask if Ben is telling the truth or not.

Liz: Jack needed something to believe in, though, and he had started to believe in Ben. Otherwise he wouldn't have let him take him that far down the path back to the island. He found something new to believe in, though: John Locke.

Jen: He started to believe Ben, but his faith was clearly shaken when he realized Ben had tried to take Aaron away.

Anyway, maybe we should talk about the whole Locke = Jesus thing.

For starters, the name of the episode is 316, which is the same as the Ajira Airways flight number. But, as Christians, biblical scholars and anyone who watches football knows, John 3:16 is an important verse from the Bible:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." ( Wikipedia)

Should we assume Locke is that Son? And that Jack, who now believes in him, has gained everlasting life? There is plenty of evidence in the episode to support this. Ben's whole speech about Thomas the Apostle, aka the Doubting Thomas. Who may as well be called the Doubting Jack Shephard.

Also, the image of Jack putting his father's shoes on Locke's feet. I may have read too much into that, but it reminded me a lot of the anointing of Jesus's feet, an act committed by someone trying to atone for her sins.

Lastly, let's think about that note from Locke to Jack. It said, "I wish you had believed me." When Jack landed on the island, the only piece he had in his hand was: "I wish." Which leaves ... "you had believed me," practically taken right from the 3:16 passage.

Liz: Again I suffer for napping my way through CCD. Though I can't help but factor Aaron into this, too. Kate gave him up in this episode (even though Aaron isn't really her begotten son) -- and I can't imagine she'd do that without a good reason. Like "Oh, he's the second coming? Well who am I to stand in his way?"

Perhaps all this time the Others and the Dharmas were sitting around waiting for a man child who would be able to command the island's telluric currents. Hence their kidnapping of Walt, repeated attempts to get Aaron and general obsession with baby-making.

Jen: Aaron is certainly "special" in some way, there is no question. I think we need to know more about what happened to him and how Kate gave him up before we can reach any conclusions about what's really going on there, though. But we know from what Alpert said that the Others looked to anoint their leaders at a very young age.

Liz: Okay, so we know (sort of) what changed Kate's mind about getting on that flight. Maybe we should talk about Hurley -- who I doubt suddenly took up the guitar -- and Sayid.

Jen: Yes, many questions about them and all the circumstances surrounding the flight. But talk to me about Charlie's -- I mean Hurley's -- guitar.

Liz: I'm guessing that Hurley got another visit from Charlie -- and that it was Charlie who convinced him to get on that flight. The guitar is just another attempt to help approximate the conditions of the first trip.

What's interesting is that Ben seemed surprised about Hurley -- and when Ben is surprised, I'm surprised. If nothing else, it points out that not only are Ben and Widmore (separately) pulling strings to get these people back to the island, but there's perhaps some larger force at play pulling them back.

Which puts Ms. Hawking's "The island's not done with you yet" to Desmond in an interesting context.

Jen: Indeed. Can I start peppering you with questions that are really rhetorical now?

Liz: Why would I say no?

Jen: Was that rhetorical? Whatever, here come the Qs:

-- How did Sayid get arrested? Just so they could (again) have a marshal on the flight?
-- Who is the random guy who cares so much about Jack's well-being?
-- Why did Sun leave her child behind? What is UP with that? Does she think she's just going to spin by the island, pick up Jin and go right back home to Ji-Yeon?
-- And last question in this series: How AWESOME was it when we all realized Lapidus was the pilot?

Liz: I can actually answer that last one -- pretty awesome. And he uttered one of the best lines of the night when he realized he had the Oceanic 6 on board:

"We're not going to Guam, are we?"

Jen: His presence is actually a significant detail. If they are going back to set things "right," it makes sense that he's flying the plane. He was supposed to be the pilot of 815, and now he finally gets to man a jet to the island.

Brief sidenote about Guam. I grabbed this bit of information about the island of Guam from your friend and mine, Wikipedia:

The Chamorros, Guam's indigenous inhabitants, first populated the island approximately 4,000 years ago. The island has a long history of European colonialism beginning in 1668 with the arrival of Spanish settlers including Padre San Vitores, a Catholic missionary. The island was taken over from Spain by the United States during the Spanish American War in 1898. As the largest island in Micronesia and the only American-held island in the region before World War II, Guam was occupied by the Japanese in December 1941, and was subject to fierce fighting when American troops recaptured the island in July 1944.
Liz: Right -- the entire South Pacific became a battleground during World War II.

Jen: It's an American territory. Which, given the Army documents Jack spotted in Hawking's underground lair, makes me wonder if THE island is, too. I mean, there is at least one U.S. bomb there. And if that's true, well, can't Obama just fix everything? I mean he's president of the island, too, you know!

Liz: Good point, Jen. Because I'm sure the U.S. Army would never have pictures of an area controlled by a foreign power.

And since we're talking about Ajira and Guam, I just need to say I'm so glad that the late night origami session of a couple of weeks back paid off in such a big way. Not. If nothing else, the origami-ball-fraught-with-meaning found a home as a favored cat toy.

Jen: OK, Ms. Sarcastic, the picture doesn't prove that it's a U.S. territory. I'm just saying, maybe there are parallels between the place and Guam.

Liz: One more point from me:

Jeff Jensen wrote a fabu (as usual) piece today about the parallels between C.S. Lewis's Narnia Chronicles and our little show. He concentrated on "Prince Caspian" (which we read last fall), but also touched on another very important detail.

The Dharma Station Ms. Hawking found in the basement of that church contained the means for the Dharmas to locate the island -- via the use of a pendulum and some scribbled formulas on a chalkboard. We know because Ms. Hawking told us so. Take note that the station was called "The Lamppost." Which can't help but bring to mind the lamppost the Pevensie children find on the other side of the wardrobe in the Narnia books. It stands as a kind of familiar beacon pointing the way to the wormhole between two worlds.

Jen: Yes. And another pseudo-literary reference: that comic book Hurley was reading was a Spanish version of " Y: The Last Man." (Note: Thanks to producer Paul Williams for reminding us that "Y: The Last Man" was written by Brian K. Vaughan, who happens to be a writer and producer for "Lost." We tend to forget these things in the midst of late-night "Lost" debates...)

Liz: Ahhhh, nice. I've read the first couple installments about that post-apocalyptic women's only world order. And another reference -- Ben reading James Joyce's "Ulysses." Which is significant because it tells us he is a masochist.

Jen: Yeah, I am not sure if our book club can take all the pages in that thing. Although LindeCuse did warn us in one of their videos that "Ulysses" might be a book worth reading...

Liz: I am hoping that was misdirection on LindeCuse's part and plan to pick back up "Y: The Last Man."

Jen: One last thing about bruised and battered Ben, which -- to bring us full circle, back to when Liz kicked off this post and first opened her eye in the jungle -- gave me the chills.

Before Ben left Jack at the church, he said he had "made a promise to an old friend, and had a loose end to tie up." We then see him later, looking like he's had the living you-know-what kicked out of him. I got this sick feeling that the promise referred to Ben's vow that he would kill Widmore's daughter. And, since he was near a harbor when he called Jack, that he had tracked down Des and Penny's boat and tried to do her some harm. I am hoping Ben's injuries indicate that Desmond prevented him from succeeding.

Liz: You and me both, sister.

Jen: So should we hop on an Ajira Airways flight and roll out of here?

Liz: Let's do. I'll meet you here at 3 p.m. to pick up where we left off.

---
Next week on "Lost": Locke's fateful mission off the island as Jeremy Bentham is revealed.
435870, someone help me out...
Posted by Af-1, Mon Feb-23-09 06:04 AM
I'm sure it's an easy question to answer but I've really not understood something and it's doing my head in:

The O6 have been off the island for 3 years since escaping from the boat, but the peeps who stayed on the island have been 'leaping' since they left. We've only really seen them leaping this season so it really only seems like it's been a few days, but have they been leaping for 3 years??

I'm having trouble relating the timeline of the people on the island compared to those who got off. Any help?
435885, they've been leaping but i think it will be explained...
Posted by wordlife, Mon Feb-23-09 09:19 AM
that once locke pulled/pushed the wheel, they stopped leaping, and was stuck in the 1970s with dharma and have been there since for 3 years. and that is where the o6 have landed, in the 70s.

so really this season, what we saw off the island was going on in present day (3 years from the time they left), but on the island they were still moving from the time that the O6 left.

make sense?
435898, RE: they've been leaping but i think it will be explained...
Posted by Af-1, Mon Feb-23-09 10:20 AM
Ah! I get you. So Locke was off the island for nearly 3 years before "dieing"?
435899, actually - I'm guessing that'll be explained in this week's episode...
Posted by Af-1, Mon Feb-23-09 10:21 AM
435910, ^^^^
Posted by wordlife, Mon Feb-23-09 11:04 AM
435922, I think Locke left and was flashed to
Posted by LiShang52, Mon Feb-23-09 11:24 AM
a time when the O6 had already been off for a few years. Thats when he went to see everyone and Jack started to go crazy.
435928, ooh, that's interesting.
Posted by Af-1, Mon Feb-23-09 11:34 AM
it never occurred to me what the O6 would be returning to - i just figured that the islanders were on 'real' time, but i guess everything we've seen of them could have been anywhere in the timeline within those 3 years.