Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI hate this movie with a passion (SPOILERS)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=426074&mesg_id=474615
474615, I hate this movie with a passion (SPOILERS)
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Sep-08-09 01:28 PM
Mainly a suspension of disbelief passion. I just don't think things would have happened the way they did. I think I might have felt differently about it if the movie wasn't set in the US.

1. I was mad from the biggning when the Asia dude let someone drive his care home and didn't go immediately to the hospital.

2. I was also mad that the first people suffering from the blindness were just thrown in a facility and forgotten about. Call me naive, I just don't think it would happen that way in the US. I think in the US government scientist would be all other them trying to figure out what was going on. I think you could tell that the director was South American because there was this strong distrust of government institutions, even stronger then we have here in the US.

3. What made me the most upset though was the folks handing over their women. Yeah I will admit that some folks may have let it go down like that but I personally wouldn't have stood for that. Especially if there only advantage was a one gun used by a blind person and we had a person with vision. The director had a very cynically POV about people's capacity to be heroic. I admit that the director may have intended to piss me off on this point.

I understand that the movie was an allegorical piece and I may be focusing on the "wrong" issues from the directors perspective, but if that's the case then this story may have been better left as a novel.

"Play Your Game" (c) Stan Van Gundy