Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectBait-and-switch. This was straight Adam West-Batman camp.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=420866&mesg_id=423901
423901, Bait-and-switch. This was straight Adam West-Batman camp.
Posted by ActWon, Mon Dec-29-08 02:37 PM
And as such, I was dying laughing during most of the film.

The only real bad parts was the horrid acting of the actress playing young Eva in the flashbacks and this incomprehensible French seductress. There could have been a couple lines snipped here and there, too.

The movie's gorgeous and actually looks nothing like Sin City. Pretty much only the parts you see in the commercial mimic that style. Most of the film's in pale color, sometimes even full color.

Two things definitely bothered me:
#1 The Spirit's "womanizing" is constantly referenced, but you only see two very weak examples (one of which was a childhood friend who he kisses) of such. The rest of the time, he's with his de facto girlfriend or casually talking with women who approach him.
#2 Not enough action that developed The Spirit's persona. There's one excellent but short sequence near the middle, but literally all other characterization was in the trailer. This doesn't push him any farther than a poor man's Batman. Oh, and the majority of the punches he throws are shown through shadow silhouettes.

All in all, it was a decent, straight popcorn flick that might when something for visual effects. It had the Dad from The Wonder Years, Sam Jackson, over-the-top camp, and Eva Mendes' naked bottom. I liked this way more than QoS since at least the crew knew the script was goofy and had fun with it.