Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectevery year I start to loathe anime more and more..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=420468&mesg_id=421564
421564, every year I start to loathe anime more and more..
Posted by x_amano_x, Wed Dec-17-08 11:15 PM
while American animation finally starts stepping it's game up and begins to slowly restore my faith in it.

however, I did catch a few series and movies this year that caught my eye. I stopped caring about the whole subs or dubs thing as both languages have their fair share of good and bad voice acting. The few shows that I did catch had stellar voice acting from the english cast. Those are listed here.

Paprika (holy shit this was an amazing movie, even better that I saw it on Blu-Ray)

Welcome To The NHK (kind of watered and toned down from the book, but it was still really good and kind of hit home with me)

Desert Punk (great dialogue, decent action, fucking hilariously crude humour)

I went out and got the FLCL ultimate boxset which has loads of awesome commentary from the english voice cast and the original director of the show)

Steamboy (awesome cast, and every bit of what I would expect from Katsuhiro Otomo)

Cromartie High (fucking. funny. as. hell)

Perfect Blue (finally caught this one, I love Satoshi Kon and everything that he's done)

Ghost In The Shell : Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society (loved the series, loved the movie. Also a big fan of the comics and the original movies)

Pani Poni Dash! (don't know what possessed me to queue this up in netflix, as it's not something I would normally watch. However, I gave it a shot since I heard a lot of comparisons to Azumanga Daioh (on lots of LSD) so I watched of over that on xbox live. It was pretty funny and fucking surreal. Shit tons of anime, movie, comic book and video game references throughout the show)

I might also add that there are shows that I'll never watch in english (not because it may be bad or anything, just that it's more appropriate). However, there was only one show I really watched this year that I held in that regard and that was the original Fist Of The North Star.

I was on a huge Hokuto No Ken kick this year as I still believe that Kenshiro is the baddest motherfucker on the planet.

I also saw a few episodes of Xam'd : Lost Memories on the Playstation Network and it's a very good looking show. I want to watch more, but I barely have any space left on my PS3's HDD. I really need to upgrade and soon.