Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThis is going to be fun
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=417259&mesg_id=417288
417288, This is going to be fun
Posted by Wordman, Fri Nov-28-08 11:57 AM
1) How many Hitchcock movies have you seen?

About 13 (I'm getting a couple of them confused in my head).

>2) What is your favorite Hitchcock movie?

Cousin, we'll be here all day. Let's see, depending on the day...Psycho, Vertigo, The Birds, I really love Rope.

>3) What was your first Hitchcock movie?

Psycho, or To Catch A Thief. AMC used to have Hitchcock Sundays, and the first one was one or the other. The first one I saw on the big screen was Psycho.

>4) What is the most underrated Hitchcock movie?

He did an excellent job with The Lodger. Seriously. The number of times that movie's been made, how well it works on page, I was actually impressed with what he did with it. Rope is another good example. It's not just an "experiment" movie. It works very well. Oh, and The Lady Vanishes - great movie!

>5) Conversely, what is the most overrated Hitchcock movie?

Is there such a thing? Well, I can tell you the two films of his I'm not overly hype about are Foreign Correspondant and The Trouble With Harry. Maybe the "not funny" humor of Harry is what bugs me.

>6) True or False: Grace Kelly in "To Catch A Thief" is the
>most beautiful any woman has ever appeared in film.

Close but no cuban. Grace Kelly in "Rear Window".

>7) Better Hitchcock leading man: Cary Grant or Jimmy Stewart?

Jimmy Stewart, all the way.

>8) You've just read a movie studio is remaking a Hitchcock
>movie (No Van Sant-o). Before reading the rest of the
>article, which movie do you hope it is?

NONE OF THEM. Read this next part very closely, because one day someone may ask you (and you want to have the right answer). THERE IS NO DIRECTOR WORKING TODAY WHO DOES IT AS WELL AS HITCHCOCK.

>9) What is next on your "Hitchcock To See" list?

You know, I've never seen Notorious or North By Northwest.

>10) And now, the short essay portion - A friend tells you they
>have never seen a Hitchcock movie before. After slapping them
>in the face, what do you recommend as their first exposure to
>Hitchcock, and why?

Psycho. I think it is the best example of his work. Plus, if you're gonna start them on something, start them on the one one Hitchcock film EVERYBODY should have seen, regardless of how much/little of a cinephile they are.
I will say this, his movies are some of the better date movies. I mean, is there a director with such a breadth that any two people can agree on?

fun post, good work.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams