Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectCultural Legacy......hmmm.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=416999&mesg_id=425674
425674, Cultural Legacy......hmmm.
Posted by Mau777, Wed Jan-07-09 06:28 AM
The stories of those airplane crashes were crazy. Living in Asia the last 4 years, i can definitely relate to his assertion that certain cultural legacies can push a group forward and others can hold back. As a Black American performance artist in Indonesia, i constantly get frustrated with some of my students who are so damn talented and so damn shy. Slowly they are opening up more, but best believe i gotta grab the psychological crowbar.

On the Asian math tip, i can feel him on the language connection, but i can't feel him on the rice paddy thing. If it were a rice thing, then it should apply to everywhere with rice paddies. I live in Bali and there are rice paddies all around me, literally, and though i ain't seen the tests, i don't think math is a Balinese strong point. Cats be grabbin' calculators to give you change for something that costs 50 cents.

How does cultural legacy relate to the descendants of slaves? He mentions "honor" when speaking about northern europeans and southerners, but Black folk prolly got this even more deeply in our cultural mindset today. The word "punk" comes to mind. Can't be a "punk" in the hood. How much crime and violence has went down because someone couldn't be seen as a punk?

On the flip, is creative intelligence so prevalent in the Black community also a direct result of slavery?

Peace

"Basically, I’m going to take what you did, the bare-bones structure of what you were trying to do, how you were attacking the song, and attack it in pretty much the same way, just with more intensity to show you that you could’ve come harder" - Bun B

Re