Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectNo worries....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=416999&mesg_id=425673
425673, No worries....
Posted by Mau777, Wed Jan-07-09 05:46 AM
...i'd rather a lil long then discussion blocking one word or sentence responses.

>But overall there was not only the expectation of high
>achievement - but concrete steps to encourage and not stifle
>their children's creativity - often to the detriment of them
>being well behaved.

"Often to the detriment of them being well behaved"....I was just speaking about this yesterday. I just accepted a teaching job at the Bali School Of Dramatic Arts here in Bali, Indonesia. The director was telling me how many of the kids who attend are expat kids or mixed race kids from high income families and while they have this big desire to be performers and supportive parents, the biggest issue for them was discipline. She told me how these kids can have really "snotty" attitudes if things aren't going the way they want. Gladwell speaks about "entitlement" and that rings true. The convo went into talking about how kids of high income families need another king of specialized attention just like low income kids do.

Low income, if not guided properly, can grow into car jackers, street thugs, drug dealers, etc. High income kids not guided properly, embezzle millions of dollars, exploit poor countries, deny people health care if it lowers their profit margin a few points, etc.

>^^Yup. That part where Malcolm says, "Katie loves to sing"
>- working class response - "that's her personality"
>- "middle" class response - "we need to get her a vocal coach,
>can you look into that honey" *hops online* *does google map
>search for vocal coach near home address and then school
>address* *finds several, makes phone calls the next day while
>at work.....*

Too true.

>
>This book has so much that can be discussed, especially for
>people who the no NPR listening, arugula eating, "middle"
>class.

Ha! Fa Real.

"Basically, I’m going to take what you did, the bare-bones structure of what you were trying to do, how you were attacking the song, and attack it in pretty much the same way, just with more intensity to show you that you could’ve come harder" - Bun B

Re