Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectNo doubt. That's why it's important to have someone to support....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=416999&mesg_id=425469
425469, No doubt. That's why it's important to have someone to support....
Posted by Mau777, Tue Jan-06-09 05:10 AM
...the effort. Like a trainer in the gym. A person may have a sincere desire to get fit, but without some to push them, the chances of giving up are much greater. This is why i think things like apprenticeships and having mentors if a parent cannot provide the attention is very important. Children(adults too) need that extra and consistent push, esp. Black children.

Another good point Gladwell makes is about the parenting styles of low income and upper income parents. When i worked in an afterschool program for elementary children, i noticed much of what he was touching on, with the exception of the submissive factor for low income kids. The youngins i had were very assertive and asked alot of questions.

But one thing was definite, the parents with less time on their hands, were just not really involved in what we were doing at the center. They just rushed in, scooped their kid/s asked, "were they good today?" and bounced. Many were working 2 jobs and trying to go to school, so it's understandable. At the same time it's wack because some of these kids had obvious interests that needed specialized focus and they weren't getting it. If we don't have anyone to push us and guide our focus, we will shift it to something else if the road gets rocky or if some other thing steals our attention.

"Basically, I’m going to take what you did, the bare-bones structure of what you were trying to do, how you were attacking the song, and attack it in pretty much the same way, just with more intensity to show you that you could’ve come harder" - Bun B

Re