Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectHalf way thru now.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=416999&mesg_id=425203
425203, Half way thru now.
Posted by Mau777, Mon Jan-05-09 09:02 AM
A couple standout points for me thus far, are the 10,000 hour concept and the "concerted cultivation" factor.

In relating these 2 to music, i can't help but think of a cat like Lil Wayne and how his superstardom came some 10 years (and i'm sure well over 10,000 hours of studio time)after he came into the spotlight. Likely, none of his current fame would've happened if it weren't for his stand-in father Baby pushing him and him constantly making songs.

Deliberate Intent is key in both points. In moving towards 10,000hrs there exists a deliberate intent to progress beyond any external motivating factor. The desire is inherent. In "concerted cultivation", there exists a deliberate intent within the parents to facilitate progression of the child by providing the necessary tools and removing the blocks. Together, a child can excel at a rapid pace no matter what class, because the deep intention to do so. If there is no desire to learn more, to become better, 10,000 hrs can't be reached. If there isn't anyone pushing/guiding a child's progress, i won't say 10ghrs can't be reached, but i will be much harder.

I would say deliberate intent is an even more important factor to success than class(though i definitely acknowledge the advantage of having more money). When you have it, you can persevere and act on opportunities.

"Basically, I’m going to take what you did, the bare-bones structure of what you were trying to do, how you were attacking the song, and attack it in pretty much the same way, just with more intensity to show you that you could’ve come harder" - Bun B

Re