Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectI really support this post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=405749&mesg_id=406187
406187, I really support this post
Posted by BigWorm, Sat Oct-04-08 05:16 PM
I don't agree with his reviews all the time.

For instance, he gave both Blue Velvet and The Hudsucker Proxy two stars.

But his since of humor is great. His style is really personable, like his talking movies with his buddies. I appreciate how he comes off as extremely knowledgeable without being pretentious. And he appreciates each movie he reviews according to the context of its genre. I mean, he'll praise a movie like Letters to Iwo Jima, but he'll also occasionally nerd out on a horror flick or action movie. It's a middle ground between high brow critics and more pop-centered critics.

Again, I don't agree with his reviews all the time. Far from it. But I've been reading his reviews since I was a kid, and he's the only critic I know of where I can get a pretty fair early idea of whether or not I want to see a movie based on his review--regardless of whether he actually likes the movie or not.

I remember, after reading his review for the Fall, I went out that Friday night and saw it at the theater, and loved it. I don't know if I'd trust many other reviews like that.