Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectthe problem with all your examples
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=402320&mesg_id=402470
402470, the problem with all your examples
Posted by rob, Fri Sep-19-08 02:35 AM
is that millenials don't like the wedding singer all that much. i mean, what 12 year old in 1998 is sitting around saying," gee, i sure wish i could find a real connection with drew barrymore too". the target audience for that movie isn't millenials anyway, its generation x. cause they be getting married and falling in love and wanting to find jobs that they don't hate themselves for.

generation x LOVES them some dazed and confused. loves it. cause when most of them saw it they just wanted to play pool with mustache matthew and hook up some beer and get someone to kiss them WHEN THAT MOVIE CAME OUT.

let's go back to happy days, because its super 70s and set in the 50s. let's go back to that 70s show, because its super milleniumy and set in the 70s.

and 90s and 80s and 70s and 60s interpretations of those same eras are gonna vary widely.

let's go back and say every kid that was 11 when the sandlot came out doesn't give a shit about the 50s, but they still share that as a cultural touchstone.

let's talk about fucking westerns and how important they were to kids 50 years ago.

generations are about shared cultural moments and experiences, and dazed and confused was one for generation x. movies don't just document whats happening in the world. they're part of the cultural framework that each generation has to appropriate to define itself.