Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectNot at all, my problem is with is body of work.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=402198&mesg_id=404264
404264, Not at all, my problem is with is body of work.
Posted by box, Thu Sep-25-08 08:55 PM
As a matter of fact, though I'm sure I've seen something, I can't really think of anything I've seen him do outside of his work as an actor (interviews, articles, tabloid stories).

It's just that, for the most part, he's a victim of the "I play the same guy in every role" syndrome that a lot of actors suffer from. Thing is, I find all of these same characters to be rather unattractive, unlikable, not compelling. Now that could be an artistic choice that all his characters--despite wildly different settings, backgrounds and circumstance--are mostly indistinguishable, but my better guess would be that it is at least a flaw in his technique if not his character.

Not saying he's a bad guy or anything, I don't know him, but when people stick doggedly to one mode it's usually for one of two reasons:

They are succeeding greatly with it

or

They think it's the way to go despite evidence to the contrary.

Certainly, this is a false dilemma but it's to make a point. Though he has had a successful career, it hasn't been for the great success of his ability to play the same compelling character over and over again. More than likely he plays his characters this way as a result of some great love and trust of himself as an arbiter of artistic worth, because it's not for a lack of ability to play characters outside of that type.