Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: you ask too much, sir
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=399676&mesg_id=400486
400486, RE: you ask too much, sir
Posted by DubSpt, Tue Sep-09-08 02:44 PM
>What's your 5 or 10 if you include the movies on the 1000 list
>that you saw before you got the list?

Simple, quick, and relatively bland list: Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Seven Samurai, Godfather, Godfather Part II, Do The Right Thing, Rules Of The Game, Apocalypse Now, Strangers On A Train, and Aguirre. Those were off the top of the dome.

>
>On a related note, your quick thoughts (a sentence each would
>be more than fine) on
Tokyo Story,
This was my first Ozu and I don't think I am ready to get into him yet. He is definitely trying to get as close to real life, and I commend him for that, but the reason why I watch movies is because real life can be pretty boring. And this movie, while certainly different than most I had seen just because of its languid, almost lethargic, look at life, I was not exactly anxious to see more.

Sansho the Bailiff,
The title is misleading. I enjoyed it in the same way I like Spartacus: a long, but engaging look at slave culture and revolt. Beautiful pictures, too, Mizoguchi is that dude.

Ugetsu,
This one knocked my socks off. It melds middle ages Japan with elements of the fantastical much like "Throne Of Blood" but does so in a multilinear story of love, anger, redemption and so much more. I understand some people are put off by the multiple stories at once, but there really are only two or three main stories and both are engaging and interesting, and when paired with astonishing cinematography this should be high on everyones must see list.

>Zero For Conduct,
Extremely charming and influential, but the relative lack of plot was a bit offputting for me. It was a slice of life from a life that I've never experienced, but it does capture the spirit of youth very well.

L'atalante,
I enjoyed it more once it was done than while it was on. The first hour or so is textbook rom-com, which I wasn't expecting, but after this there are enough surprises in both story and visuals to make me rethink the whole thing. Outside of a few shots, this was to me was more of a movie that you admire rather than watch over and over.

and Sunrise?
Fan-fucking-tastic. I had been a big fan of Nosferatu for awhile, so I don't know what I was expecting when I saw this, but it definitely wasn't what I got. This is what every silent film should be - subtle and beautiful mergings of style and substance filled with drama, suspense, and romance. It could very well convince somebody who doesn't like silent films to give them another shot.

>
>>M. Hulot's Holiday (easily one of my all time faves)
>
>Same here. Playtime and Mon Oncle are more ambitious and are
>greater films, but I think Holiday is a masterpiece, too. My
>fave Tati. Top-ten probably.

I haven't seen Mon Oncle yet, but I was a bit underwhelmed by Playtime because I was expecting Holiday Part II. I want to see Mon Oncle first, and then I'll watch all three again. Holiday though - I watched it prolly five times the first time I rented it. Then I bought it and everybody I have convinced to watch it has watched it at least three times themselves.

>
>>Ikiru
>
>Probably my fave AK, but I dislike the writing and acting of
>the last segment in which the co-workers talk and talk. What
>do you think of that segment?

This IS my favorite Kurosawa, and I for one think the final segment is great. I liked it when I first saw it, but then I found out that it is (or was) a custom in Japan for the patrons of a funeral to get drunk afterwards and to pay homage to the deceased. The scene does run too long, but I think it is effective - we get to spend all this time with a man who we come to know, love, and respect, so when his co-workers and friends begin to bash him I naturally got very angry. But I think that is the point. Notice that afterwards one man walks away feeling something is wrong and he comes to walk past the playground the main character helped to create. We've just seen all of these men mocking him, but then we get to see what he actually did through the eyes of somebody who barely knew him, and I think it injects in the viewer an even deeper desire to try to get out into the world and do something positive with their lives.

>
>I don't know if your list of 300 includes what you saw prior
>to getting the list so...

Nope, 300 movies is all I've seen on the list. Well, 304 now as I've added a few more in the past week.

>
>Watch Titicut Follies if you can. University libraries should
>have it on VHS or request that yours get the DVD. One of the
>greatest docus of all-time. There should be more Wisemans in
>the 1000.

I think documentaries are going to be the next big thing I tackle. I think they hold more potential than any other genre, but they can also lead to extreme cases of boredom. I will say that I definitely do not like as a whole this new trend of documentary makers using real footage to tell their own point of view instead of just filming what happens and making a story out of the footage. As a result I laughed extremely hard all throughout Herzog's "Incident At Loch Ness"

>
>Kudos on watching a Maya Deren, but where're the other films
>by women directors?!! Unless you saw them prior to getting
>the 1000 list and didn't include some of them in the 300 or
>you had no access which is understandable.

Mostly access, I don't know very many female directors. And let's be honest, they do not get nearly as much credit as their male counterparts.

>
>Have you seen Orpheus? Not as beautiful as Beauty and the
>Beast, but it's my fave Cocteau. So imaginative.

I've been looking for it for sometime. I was impressed by both Blood Of A Poet (better than Un Chien Andalou in my mind) and Beauty And The Beast.

>
>Stalker and Mirror are the Tarkovskys to watch. All of his
>films are essential, though. (Not a fan of Solaris that
>much.)

I want to get into Tarkovsky when I have the time to really dedicate to sitting down and watching several in a short period of time. I for one WAS very impressed by Solyaris, and it made me all the more unimpressed by Soderbergh's version.

>
>Celine and Julie Go Boating, man. Celine and Julie Go
>Boating.

tell me more...