Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectRE: you ask too much, sir
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=399676&mesg_id=400473
400473, RE: you ask too much, sir
Posted by Sponge, Tue Sep-09-08 02:16 PM
>I do think I will do a 100 favorites list some time in '09
>though.

That'll be cool to see.

>Off the top though,
>ten that I saw after I got the list and went head over heels
>for

What's your 5 or 10 if you include the movies on the 1000 list that you saw before you got the list?

On a related note, your quick thoughts (a sentence each would be more than fine) on Tokyo Story, Sansho the Bailiff, Ugetsu, Zero For Conduct, L'atalante, and Sunrise?

>M. Hulot's Holiday (easily one of my all time faves)

Same here. Playtime and Mon Oncle are more ambitious and are greater films, but I think Holiday is a masterpiece, too. My fave Tati. Top-ten probably.

>Ikiru

Probably my fave AK, but I dislike the writing and acting of the last segment in which the co-workers talk and talk. What do you think of that segment?

I don't know if your list of 300 includes what you saw prior to getting the list so...

Watch Titicut Follies if you can. University libraries should have it on VHS or request that yours get the DVD. One of the greatest docus of all-time. There should be more Wisemans in the 1000.

Kudos on watching a Maya Deren, but where're the other films by women directors?!! Unless you saw them prior to getting the 1000 list and didn't include some of them in the 300 or you had no access which is understandable.

Have you seen Orpheus? Not as beautiful as Beauty and the Beast, but it's my fave Cocteau. So imaginative.

Stalker and Mirror are the Tarkovskys to watch. All of his films are essential, though. (Not a fan of Solaris that much.)

Celine and Julie Go Boating, man. Celine and Julie Go Boating.