Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectNot a hipster Superbad . . . a Disney After Hours.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=398497&mesg_id=406073
406073, Not a hipster Superbad . . . a Disney After Hours.
Posted by ricky_BUTLER, Fri Oct-03-08 05:28 PM
A whole lot of what didn't work I put on the script and a painfully apathetic performance from Michael Cera. There were a couple moments of character development that weren't contrived and aprox. half a dozen jokes that weren't obvious, but by and large the script was a mess. At the same time, I didn't hate it. Even quite liked it periodically. But looking back, those points which I liked likely would not have stood out on the page, e.g., the shots of New York City and a couple "performance" scenes that I won't spoil. In those instances, the movie trusted itself and worked. They however were matched by a few reaching wince-inducing sequences.

All that being said, I think anyone who would claim it's terribly awful or terribly brilliant is saying more about themselves than the movie. It's neither one of those. It's largely average, which translates roughly to uninspiring. Obviously, that's not a recommendation, but it's not a complete pan either. It's a rental a couple weeks after it hits shelves.