Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectNot at all!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=394954&mesg_id=396001
396001, Not at all!
Posted by McDeezNuts, Tue Aug-19-08 05:35 PM
Zodiac was 2 1/2 hours of boredom. And it felt much longer than that, even. Nothing happened. We just get to watch the obsessed characters try to solve the murders - there's no action, no payoff, and no resolution.

I particularly like this section from the allmovie.com review (http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:325574~T1):

"During the middle section of the film, when Toschi and Armstrong follow their most promising lead, Fincher tempers the terror with excitement and frustration as the two devoted detectives desperately try every possible avenue to link the suspect to the crimes. On a first viewing, this portion of the movie may feel slack, as if Fincher has lost his command over the narrative. Not until Zodiac is over does the viewer realize how effectively Fincher has manipulated audience expectations, and made them feel as infuriated and exasperated as the protagonists. This is where terror gives way to frustration and dissatisfaction, emotions most directors never consider eliciting from an audience in a conventional serial-killer movie."

I think it's hilarious that this review tries to make it a good thing that the viewer gets infuriated, exasperated, frustrated, and dissatisfied. (And BORED)

How can this be a good thing?!

And no, I'm not giving this movie more than a first viewing.

Here are more reviews (swiped from Wiki) with which I agree:

The film gets mired in the inevitable red tape of police investigations," wrote Bob Longino of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, who also felt that the film "stumbles to a rather unfulfilling conclusion" and "seems to last as long as the Oscars".

David Thompson in the Guardian felt that in relation to the rest of Fincher's career, Zodiac was "the worst yet, a terrible disappointment in which an ingenious and deserving all-American serial killer nearly gets lost in the meandering treatment of cops and journalists obsessed with the case".

On the other hand, Death Proof had cool and interesting characters, good dialogue, and some great action scenes. I know you hated it so you'll disagree with all of the above, but it was infinitely more enjoyable than the mess that was Zodiac.