Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectIt can be broken down to what you appreciate more
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=394172&mesg_id=396320
396320, It can be broken down to what you appreciate more
Posted by Arch Stanton, Thu Aug-21-08 01:18 PM
For one character, Homer Simpson is unbeatable. Nobody alone in Seinfeld can beat him. However, the core cast of Seinfeld is stronger than the Simpson family.

As for side-characters, nobody beats Frank Costanza. But the huge cast of the Simpsons more than makes up for it whether it's regulars like Lenny and Carl, Moe or Milhouse, or the occasional appearance by Sideshow Bob, Comic Book Guy or Duffman. Springfield beats Manhattan in supporting characters.

The Simpsons has touched on virtually every subject in modern society and it got viewers to care about the characters. Seinfeld was nihilistic and anti-sentimental to such a degree that it might be the most ground-breaking sitcom ever. That's a toss-up for me.

In the end, the Simpsons sprawling nature is its greatest asset or its biggest weakness depending on how you view it. But, as objective as I try to be, I can't ignore the huge influence the Simpsons had on me. I planned my life around it, which I can't say for Seinfeld.

I don't know how other people feel, but Simpsons quotes still crack me up while Seinfeld quotes are almost always lame (except for "these pretzels are making me thirsty").