Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectThe Poll That OldPro is scared of: Seinfeld vs. The Simpsons
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=394172
394172, The Poll That OldPro is scared of: Seinfeld vs. The Simpsons
Posted by Gemini_Two_One, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
Simply put, which one is the better sitcom?

Poll question: The Poll That OldPro is scared of: Seinfeld vs. The Simpsons

Poll result (115 votes)
Seinfeld (56 votes)Vote
The Simpsons (59 votes)Vote

394176, Simpsons is the better cartoon
Posted by Ceej, Tue Aug-12-08 10:25 AM
394178, It is the better sitcom and "cartoon"
Posted by Gemini_Two_One, Tue Aug-12-08 10:30 AM

!sig!

Yeah, keep the crack raps up
That shit is double plus...whatever the fuck
Everybody’s afraid to say it just sucks
To watch talented muthafuckers pretending they sell drugs
- EL-P
394179, *obligatory Write-In joke*
Posted by disco dj, Tue Aug-12-08 10:33 AM
394234, It's Wings and you know it!
Posted by buckshot defunct, Tue Aug-12-08 12:33 PM

394185, South Park
Posted by OldPro, Tue Aug-12-08 10:58 AM

http://reunionradio.blogspot.com/
394189, Don't make me choose!
Posted by nipsey, Tue Aug-12-08 11:04 AM
Well if The Simpsons had stopped 10 years ago, this would have been a no-brainer, but since they insist on ruining their legacy with craptacular episodes, I'm still gonna have to go with the Simpsons! I've got like 7 Simpsons DVD sets that I watch. I have like 5 Seinfeld Season Sets I haven't even opened. Seinfeld was so funny and really set the bar high for all sitcoms that came after it, but the effect that The Simpsons had on pop culture and society gives it the edge in my opinion. Okay, I see that I'm rambling in this post. Must be my circuits are fried trying to comprehend this scenario.
394202, yet the seinfeld finale dropped the ball, badly
Posted by gluvnast, Tue Aug-12-08 11:23 AM
sorta balanced out the 2nd decade of subpar episodes by the simpsons
396045, i don't agree
Posted by DJR, Tue Aug-19-08 11:39 PM
I know that's the general consensus, but I liked that shit.

George was funny as hell, shitting on Elaine at the beginning, constantly running his mouth in the meeting with NBC. And I liked how they worked in all the extra characters from throughout the series. It worked for me.
394190, I don't think you can call a cartoon a sitcom
Posted by J_Sun, Tue Aug-12-08 11:04 AM
at the least, it's not fair to compare them. Cartoons do not have to be grounded in reality and you can do way more in the relms of comedy that you cannot do with real actors, i.e shit that Homer does that gets laughs but would literally kill a real person.

In short, a cartoon can go for laughs in ways a real sitcom could never do, thus not fair to compare them IMO.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sometimes I comtemplate moving to a warmer place, then the lake and skyline give me a warm embrace" © Common
394195, I'm rolling with this
Posted by KINGGS, Tue Aug-12-08 11:09 AM
>at the least, it's not fair to compare them. Cartoons do not
>have to be grounded in reality and you can do way more in the
>relms of comedy that you cannot do with real actors, i.e shit
>that Homer does that gets laughs but would literally kill a
>real person.
>
>In short, a cartoon can go for laughs in ways a real sitcom
>could never do, thus not fair to compare them IMO.
394204, since when seinfeld was grounded on "reality"???
Posted by gluvnast, Tue Aug-12-08 11:25 AM
seinfeld was actually just a live-action cartoon...

it self proclaimed to be "a show about nothing"
394478, when did jerry become an astronaut?
Posted by shockzilla, Wed Aug-13-08 01:30 AM
394505, When did Homer hit a hole in one in a Whales blowhole?
Posted by Gemini_Two_One, Wed Aug-13-08 07:56 AM

Which Flanders later removed to impress a girl (disco dj, 2008).

!sig!

- EL-P
394554, LOL
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Wed Aug-13-08 12:14 PM
396494, actually a lot of its humor is derived from reality
Posted by will_5198, Fri Aug-22-08 01:15 PM
re: dating, awkward confrontations, travel, driving, parking, ordering soup, etc.

they were just skewed a bit for entertainment purposes
394229, basically
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Aug-12-08 12:20 PM
394237, that cuts both ways though
Posted by buckshot defunct, Tue Aug-12-08 12:35 PM
I can't really see any cartoon being able to pull of Seinfeld jokes, can you?

It's a different production method, with different rules, but the end result in this case is still a sitcom.
394319, 'zackly.
Posted by ColdPizza, Tue Aug-12-08 03:42 PM
you simply could not pull off an animated kramer. or even a george for that matter. jerry and elaine? ehh sure why not but those two? no way.
394246, RE: I don't think you can call a cartoon a sitcom
Posted by Brother_Afron, Tue Aug-12-08 12:58 PM
>at the least, it's not fair to compare them. Cartoons do not
>have to be grounded in reality>>>

Neither do live action sitcoms

and you can do way more in the
>relms of comedy that you cannot do with real actors, i.e shit
>that Homer does that gets laughs but would literally kill a
>real person. >>>

You mean like all the things that happened to Al Bundy and Tim "the toolman" Taylor?

394344, here's SEVEN reasons you're wrong.
Posted by disco dj, Tue Aug-12-08 04:53 PM
Kramer was a fireman for a day, yet, ironically, that's one of the few jobs Homer NEVER had.

Kramer hit a hole in one in a Whales blowhole. Which George later removed to impress a girl.

Kramer fed a horse a gallon of Beef-a-rino, which resulted in Smelly horsefarts

Kramer enrolled in a Karate Class full of 9 year olds.

George got a job with the New York Yankees with ZERO experience ( again, this is a job Homer NEVER had )

Both George AND Kramer simply walked into companies and started work without actually being employed.

Jerry attacked an old lady and stole a loaf of bread from her, and then tried to sneak it into the house with a fishing pole and hook.

sounds pretty cartoonish to ME.

396426, Homer was a fireman before
Posted by B.WilkZ, Fri Aug-22-08 01:06 AM

--------------------------------

92.1 FM -- THE GOOD WORD //
Pittsburgh PA - Sat 7 to 9PM

www.thegoodwordradioshow.com
394196, C'mon, Seinfeld better.
Posted by Mole, Tue Aug-12-08 11:10 AM
I LOVE "The Simpsons" but as somebody else pointed out, had they stopped at Season 9, this would be a lot harder decision. But "Seinfeld" had nine more or less perfect seasons and went out on top creatively, while "The Simpsons" had nine more or less perfect seasons followed by eight or nine I can barely even watch.

Advantage: "Seinfeld."
394200, King of the Hill
Posted by OldPro, Tue Aug-12-08 11:20 AM

394228, Seinfeld's best better than Simpsons' best.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-12-08 12:18 PM
Simpsons' worst worse than Seinfeld's worst.

Seinfeld's consistency better than Simpsons' consistency.

Why is this a question?
394231, Because your first premise is highly debatable.
Posted by stylez dainty, Tue Aug-12-08 12:22 PM
>Why is this a question?
394273, co-sign
Posted by Matinho, Tue Aug-12-08 01:48 PM
394346, NOTHING tops the "Krusty Gets Framed" episode. Nothing...
Posted by disco dj, Tue Aug-12-08 04:56 PM
( aka the first appearance of Sideshow Bob)

that was the single funniest episode of ANY show I've ever seen.
394354, not even the wild devilfish episode?
Posted by kayru99, Tue Aug-12-08 05:06 PM
(granpa simpson's WWII buried treasure episode?) Cuz that shit cracks me up still
394394, Flying Hellfish
Posted by Hitokiri, Tue Aug-12-08 07:13 PM
n/m
394480, Dude, I could name at least 10 better "Simpsons" eps
Posted by Mole, Wed Aug-13-08 01:51 AM
Don't get me wrong, that's a great episode, but it's from Season 2 or 3, when the show was still feeling itself out. I don't think it's quite as good as the classics that came after.
395690, RE: Dude, I could name at least 10 better "Simpsons" eps
Posted by josephmurf2384, Mon Aug-18-08 02:54 PM
Season 3 is the best simpsons season ever.

Stark Raving Dad
37 Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington
38 When Flanders Failed
39 Bart the Murderer
40 Homer Defined
41 Like Father, Like Clown
42 Treehouse of Horror II
43 Lisa's Pony
44 Saturdays of Thunder
45 Flaming Moe's
46 Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk
47 I Married Marge
48 Radio Bart
49 Lisa the Greek
50 Homer Alone
51 Bart the Lover
52 Homer at the Bat *** Best Episode Ever ****
53 Separate Vocations
54 Dog of Death
55 Colonel Homer
56 Black Widower
57 The Otto Show
58 Bart's Friend Falls in Love
59 Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes?
394230, seinfeld was pretty wack
Posted by The Damaja, Tue Aug-12-08 12:21 PM
394395, I never liked it.
Posted by Hitokiri, Tue Aug-12-08 07:14 PM
that's just me though
394415, the only people i've ever met that liked it
Posted by The Damaja, Tue Aug-12-08 08:09 PM
were people who got into it via bittorrent after it had finished, when they could suddenly download whole tv series onto their computer... i'm not aware of it really 'catching on' in the UK
394413, Oh yeah? Well the jerk store called, they're running out of you.
Posted by George Costanza, Tue Aug-12-08 08:05 PM
394557, this confirms to me how great it is
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Wed Aug-13-08 12:19 PM

395625, I AM SHOCKED BY YOUR CONTROVERSIAL OPINION
Posted by mc_delta_t, Mon Aug-18-08 11:05 AM
394244, RE: The Poll That OldPro is scared of: Seinfeld vs. The Simpsons
Posted by Brother_Afron, Tue Aug-12-08 12:56 PM
The Simpsons are the LL of cartoons.

People want to jump of Seinfeld's horrible finale, yet give a pass to the last 10 years of horrible Simpsons episodes?
394305, The best of the Simpsons was unmatchable TV
Posted by chief1284, Tue Aug-12-08 03:07 PM
The best ever made. So I'm gonna ignore everything that happened after around season 10 and go with the Simpsons.
394348, http://www.teesforall.com/images/Simpsons_Boxes_Black_Shirt.jpg
Posted by rorschach, Tue Aug-12-08 04:58 PM
Simpsons was the champ before Seinfeld and it was the champ after. There's no contest. Really, this all boils down to the fact that people don't want to give a cartoon the same credit as a live-action show.
---------------------------------------
http://i31.tinypic.com/4iehdd.jpg

The OKP® King of the Late Pass™
394440, For you "The Simpsons were only funny for 10 years" folks
Posted by Gemini_Two_One, Tue Aug-12-08 09:27 PM
You're crazy! Sure the last 10-11 years are not as funny as the first decade, but for you to call those years "horrible" is nuts. I will give you seasons 16-18. Those seasons were craptastic, but no one can deny these episodes were not funny:

Season 11:

E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt): Inspired by a cheesy "Zorro" movie, Homer begins slapping people with a glove and challenging them to duels (with the victims giving Homer whatever he wants instead of accepting the challenge), but when a real Southern gentleman accepts Homer's request for a duel, The Simpsons run off to the old farm Homer lived in with his parents (as seen in the season six episode Grampa vs. Sexual Inadequacy) and breed a dangerously addictive tobacco/tomato hybrid called "tomacco".

Take My Wife, Sleaze: Homer wins a Harley Davidson at a fifties diner and starts his own biker gang, which causes a real biker gang to crash at their house.

Eight Misbehavin': After Manjula gives birth to octuplets, she and Apu unintentionally allow a zookeeper to exploit their babies in exchange for help after corporate sponsors abandon them for a mom that has given birth to nontuplets.

Missionary: Impossible: Homer gets in trouble with PBS after confessing he doesn't have $10,000 to give them for their pledge drive--and ends up a missionary on a South Pacific island.

Behind the Laughter: In a parody of VH1's Behind The Music, viewers discover how The Simpsons became popular and the many scandals, feuds, break-ups, and reunions that followed

Season 12:

Insane Clown Poppy: Krusty finds out he has a daughter (from a one-night stand with a female soldier who fought in the Gulf War), but loses her trust after gambling away her violin to Fat Tony, prompting Homer and Krusty to retrieve it.

Lisa the Tree Hugger: Lisa falls in love with the leader of an environmentalist group and tries to impress him by living in Springfield's oldest tree in order to keep it from being cut down.

Skinner's Sense of Snow: A snowstorm traps the kids inside Springfield Elementary, with the kids overthrowing Principal Skinner when he uses his Army skills to control the students. Meanwhile, Homer tries to rescue the children--using Flanders' car.

HOMЯ: While working as a human guinea pig (to pay off the family's lost savings after Homer makes a bad investment), Homer discovers the root cause of his subnormal intelligence: a crayon that was lodged in his brain ever since he was a kid. He decides to have it removed to increase his IQ, but discovers that being smart does not necessarily equal being happy.

Day of the Jackanapes: Krusty announces his retirement due to too much interference from network executives. When he reveals to Sideshow Bob that all of the episodes featuring him have been erased, Sideshow Bob uses Krusty's biggest fan (Bart) to murder him during Krusty's farewell show.

Hungry, Hungry Homer: Homer sees the joys in helping people out and stands up for injustice -- which is put to the test when he goes on a hunger strike after the owner of the Springfield Isotopes attempts to discredit him when Homer stumbles on his plot to discreetly trade the team to Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Children of a Lesser Clod: After spraining his knee during a basketball game, Homer begins taking care of the neighborhood kids to cure his boredom, prompting jealousy from Bart and Lisa, who feel that Homer is giving the kids the attention they never had.

Season 13:

Homer the Moe: A depressed Moe decides to return to bartending school to re-evaluate himself and turns his bar into a trendy nightclub, which does not sit well with his regular customers (Homer, Lenny, Carl, and Barney)

She of Little Faith: After Homer and Bart's model rocket damages the church, Mr. Burns makes a deal to commercialize the church in return for paying for the damages, which leads Lisa to convert to Buddhism out of disgust, causing Marge to fear for Lisa's soul.

Sweets and Sour Marge: Springfield is officially declared the World's Fattest Town after the townspeople gets involved in building a human pyramid and end up rolling onto a truck scale. Out of embarrassment and disgust, Marge goes on a crusade to get sugar banned from Springfield. When the ban passes through, Homer begins bootlegging sugar.

The Bart Wants What It Wants: Bart befriends Rainer Wolfcastle's daughter, Greta, who has a crush on Bart (which Bart doesn't realize). Meanwhile, Principal Skinner tries his hand at stand-up comedy--and gets heckled.

The Old Man and the Key: Grampa gets his driver's license back and uses Homer's car to impress a woman at the retirement home, but is ignorant to Homer and Marges' concerns that she is only using him for his car.

Weekend at Burnsie's: Homer takes up medicinal marijuana after getting pecked in the eyes by crows.

The Sweetest Apu: Homer and Marge discover that Apu is having an affair with the Squishee Lady and attempt on keeping Manjula from finding out.

Season 14:

How I Spent My Strummer Vacation: Homer goes to a rock and roll camp, run by the Rolling Stones, after confessing on a hidden camera show modeled after HBO's "Taxicab Confessions" that he hates his family and his job.

Large Marge: Thinking Homer does not find Marge attractive anymore, Marge goes to the hospital to get liposuction, but ends up with breast implants meant for Mayor Quimby's female intern. Meanwhile, Bart and Milhouse accidentally get Krusty in trouble after imitating a stunt shown on a 1960s episode of Batman featuring Krusty as a Joker/Riddler-esque villain.

Strong Arms of the Ma: Marge gets mugged and becomes so traumatized that she becomes agoraphobic. To combat it, she begins exercising with the weight set Homer bought from Rainier Wolfcastle's garage sale and becomes strong enough to face the man who robbed her--and too strong for Homer to handle.

'Scuse Me While I Miss the Sky: Lisa takes up astronomy in order to make something out of her life. However her attempts of getting the lights turned down during the night only result in a rise in the crime rate. Meanwhile, a British man named Declan Desmond films a documentary about the student life at Springfield Elementary.

Three Gays of the Condo: After yet another fight between Homer and Marge (after Homer discovers a letter from Marge that states that she never liked Homer), Homer moves out and stays with a male homosexual couple who live in Springfield's gay district.

Season 15:

My Mother the Carjacker: Homer's mother returns, and after being cleared of all charges, is re-imprisoned on a technicality.

I, (Annoyed Grunt)-Bot: Homer builds a battle robot to win Bart's respect, and places it in a tournament against other robots. What Bart does not know, though, is that the robot is actually Homer in costume. Meanwhile, Snowball II dies and Lisa tries to find a replacement cat.

My Big Fat Geek Wedding: After hearing that Skinner is getting cold feet about their wedding, Edna leaves Skinner at the altar and hooks up with Comic Book Guy. Skinner tries to win Edna back with Homer's help.

Fraudcast News: Lisa publishes her own newspaper, which becomes under threat of takeover after Mr. Burns buys all the media outlets in town. This causes her to start an all-out war with Mr. Burns for the right to tell the truth.

Season 16:

All's Fair in Oven War: Bart gets carried away and adopts a more sophisticated style after reading Homer's Playdude magazines with the racy female images cut out. Meanwhile, Marge resorts to cheating to get revenge during a baking contest after the other contestants used similar dirty methods against her food entry.

Midnight Rx: Mr. Burns cancels the nuclear plant's prescription pill plan, prompting Homer and Grampa to smuggle prescription pills in from Canada. Mr. Burns soon regrets his actions when his faithful assistant Smithers suffers from a goiter and joins Homer and Grampa on one last heist.

There's Something About Marrying: Homer becomes a minister after Springfield legalizes gay marriage and Patty comes out of the closet, much to the shock of her sister, Marge.

Goo Goo Gai Pan Selma hits menopause, so she tries to adopt a child in China by pretending to be married to Homer.

The Seven-Beer Snitch: Marge convinces the town to build a concert hall to prove that Springfield is not a hick town, but when the hall suffers financial problems, Mr Burns buys it and turns it into a prison. Homer is imprisoned and becomes a snitch on the other prisoners. Meanwhile, Bart and Lisa investigate Snowball II's recent weight gain.

A Star Is Torn: Lisa participates in a singing competition with Homer as her manager.

The Father, The Son & The Holy Guest Star Bart gets expelled from school (again) and transfers to a Catholic school, where a hip priest named Father Sean tries to convert Bart and Homer to Catholicism.

Season 17:

The Seemingly Never-Ending Story While cave exploring with his family, Homer causes the cave to crumble and finds himself stuck upside down in the ceiling. Marge and Bart search for help while Lisa passes the time by telling Homer a story, which turns into a chain of narrated tales

Season 18:

The Mook, the Chef, the Wife and Her Homer: Lisa becomes friends with Fat Tony's son Michael. The Simpsons are invited over for dinner, where Fat Tony is shot. When Michael declines to be the new kingpin, Homer becomes Springfield's new mob boss.
Guest stars: Joe Pantoliano, Michael Imperioli, and Metallica.

Moe'N'a Lisa: Lisa discovers that Moe's written rantings are perfect fodder for poetry, but when Moe is invited to a writer's convention that throws out anyone who uses someone else to create their works, Moe ends up taking the credit.
Guest stars: Tom Wolfe, Gore Vidal, Michael Chabon, Jonathan Franzen and J.K. Simmons.

The Haw-Hawed Couple: After being forced to attend Nelson’s birthday party, Bart becomes best friends with the schoolyard bully. Meanwhile, Homer develops a big interest with one of Lisa’s fantasy books.

Season 19:

The Debarted: A new kid named Donny comes to Springfield Elementary School and Bart thinks he's found the ultimate partner for pranks. However, these pranks backfire and Bart begins to suspect that there is a rat amongst his group of friends. Meanwhile, Marge wrecks the family car and Homer gets a new loaner vehicle, to which he becomes attached.

That 90's Show: After discovering Marge's diploma, Homer recounts the story of how he gave up his dreams of being a musician so Marge could attend Springfield University. However, after she became attracted to one of her professors Homer started focusing his emotions into music and formed the first grunge band called Sadgasm. But after Homer's band breaks up, Marge must decide between a glum and miserable Homer and or her pretentious professor.

Dial 'N' for Nerder: Homer goes on a diet, but cheats on it, and Marge hires a TV show to keep track of his diet and make sure he is being honest. Meanwhile, Bart and Lisa play a prank on Martin Prince which backfires, subsequently leading them to believe that they have killed him.

Trust me when I say that I am leaving episodes off, but I am tired of copying and pasting.

!sig!

- EL-P
394444, Of course there's some good eps in there, but if "Seinfeld" had kept going...
Posted by Mole, Tue Aug-12-08 10:18 PM
... it'd really be the same thing: Probably a significant dropoff in quality, with a few gems sprinkled around. With a show like "The Simpsons," it's not going to fall off completely. Really, this is like deciding between my children, but I just give "Seinfeld" the edge because it went out on top, creatively and ratings-wise. Groening is really just keeping it going out of vanity at his point. He has more money than God, as does everybody else involved with the show I'm sure, there's really no reason to continue recycling and repackaging storylines until the end of time, even if it still does numbers.
394451, That's cool...
Posted by Gemini_Two_One, Tue Aug-12-08 10:42 PM
This was aimed more at the people who claim that they stopped watching after season 10 or 11 because the show was so terrible. I think they missed out on some great episodes. Now people who claim they jumped ship after season 16 or 17 I can understand.

!sig!

- EL-P
394454, Seinfeld>Simpsons
Posted by phenompyrus, Tue Aug-12-08 10:47 PM
I don't watch much Simpsons, but my personal favorites are the Treehouse Of Horror episodes and the movie, which was pretty great.
396428, Boo this man! Booooo!
Posted by B.WilkZ, Fri Aug-22-08 01:09 AM

--------------------------------

92.1 FM -- THE GOOD WORD //
Pittsburgh PA - Sat 7 to 9PM

www.thegoodwordradioshow.com
394508, simpsons is the better, more important show. hands down
Posted by dba_BAD, Wed Aug-13-08 08:16 AM
no debate

what is up for debate, however, is if the simpsons is a 'sitcom'

i dont think it is

its satire

its a parody of a sitcom

not to mention its animated and does not feature a laugh track
394511, There is no laugh track....
Posted by Gemini_Two_One, Wed Aug-13-08 08:42 AM
because it is filmed in front of a live studio audience

!sig!

- EL-P
394524, simpsons
Posted by charlie bucket, Wed Aug-13-08 09:40 AM
394532, i never found Seinfeld even slightly funny
Posted by jasonprague, Wed Aug-13-08 10:29 AM
can't say the same about the Simpsons.

PEACE
395619, Well it still lost lol
Posted by OldPro, Mon Aug-18-08 10:52 AM

396326, Not so fast my friend!
Posted by Gemini_Two_One, Thu Aug-21-08 01:28 PM

!sig!

- EL-P
395623, My perfect argument:
Posted by mc_delta_t, Mon Aug-18-08 11:03 AM
Seinfeld and The Simpsons were equally lol funny in my mind.

The Simpsons had "heart" though. Seinfeld, while high-larious was unarguably shallow, while the simpsons had characters who you came to care about and social commentary, and layers.

Again, don't get me wrong, Seinfeld=Hillarity

But, it could just never have the depth (yeah depth, what?) that The Simpsons did seasons 1-9 or 10
395775, RE: My perfect argument:
Posted by Sir Migs, Mon Aug-18-08 06:58 PM
i TOTALLY agree, so to offset your vote i went with Seinfeld lol.

I'm over they heads like a bulimic on a seasaw
395783, and Simpsons is still winning
Posted by mc_delta_t, Mon Aug-18-08 07:34 PM
Lol
395798, easily Seinfeld....
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Mon Aug-18-08 08:26 PM
396320, It can be broken down to what you appreciate more
Posted by Arch Stanton, Thu Aug-21-08 01:18 PM
For one character, Homer Simpson is unbeatable. Nobody alone in Seinfeld can beat him. However, the core cast of Seinfeld is stronger than the Simpson family.

As for side-characters, nobody beats Frank Costanza. But the huge cast of the Simpsons more than makes up for it whether it's regulars like Lenny and Carl, Moe or Milhouse, or the occasional appearance by Sideshow Bob, Comic Book Guy or Duffman. Springfield beats Manhattan in supporting characters.

The Simpsons has touched on virtually every subject in modern society and it got viewers to care about the characters. Seinfeld was nihilistic and anti-sentimental to such a degree that it might be the most ground-breaking sitcom ever. That's a toss-up for me.

In the end, the Simpsons sprawling nature is its greatest asset or its biggest weakness depending on how you view it. But, as objective as I try to be, I can't ignore the huge influence the Simpsons had on me. I planned my life around it, which I can't say for Seinfeld.

I don't know how other people feel, but Simpsons quotes still crack me up while Seinfeld quotes are almost always lame (except for "these pretzels are making me thirsty").

396331, I dunno 'bout any of these...
Posted by Mole, Thu Aug-21-08 02:04 PM
> For one character, Homer Simpson is unbeatable. Nobody
>alone in Seinfeld can beat him. However, the core cast of
>Seinfeld is stronger than the Simpson family.

As great as Homer is, to imply George Costanza doesn't approach him one-on-one is a dubious assertion. But I agree the core cast of "Seinfeld" is stronger than the Simpson family on a comedic level, since the latter is mostly just Homer and Bart and all four of "Seinfeld"'s main cast are strong in their own way.

> As for side-characters, nobody beats Frank Costanza. But
>the huge cast of the Simpsons more than makes up for it
>whether it's regulars like Lenny and Carl, Moe or Milhouse, or
>the occasional appearance by Sideshow Bob, Comic Book Guy or
>Duffman. Springfield beats Manhattan in supporting
>characters.

Overall, yes, the supporting cast on "The Simpsons" trumps "Seinfeld," and again I don't think Frank can't be challenged by, say, Troy McClure or Mr. Burns.

> The Simpsons has touched on virtually every subject in
>modern society and it got viewers to care about the
>characters. Seinfeld was nihilistic and anti-sentimental to
>such a degree that it might be the most ground-breaking sitcom
>ever. That's a toss-up for me.

I LOVE the first 10 seasons of "The Simpsons" and life would suck without out, but I gotta give the edge to "Seinfeld" for completely upending the conventions of the sitcom.

>I don't know how other people feel, but Simpsons quotes still
>crack me up while Seinfeld quotes are almost always lame
>(except for "these pretzels are making me thirsty").

Another dubious claim, but I MIGHT agree since a lot of "Seinfeld"'s comedy is comparatively more situational than based on one-liners.
396336, Blocking out the sun>>>>saving money on envelopes
Posted by Gemini_Two_One, Thu Aug-21-08 02:30 PM

!sig!

- EL-P
396381, Inadvertently killing your fiance because of said envelopes...
Posted by Mole, Thu Aug-21-08 06:00 PM
... and not feeling bad about it >>>> any sort of evil Burns could pull off.
396491, Let me clarify
Posted by Arch Stanton, Fri Aug-22-08 01:04 PM
I said Frank Costanza wins as best supporting character, but if you line up Seinfeld and Simpsons side characters there's no contest.

C'mon nobody touches Homer.

If you wanna bring the crappy recent seasons into it, fine. It's just that when measuring greatness, I tend to look at the best stuff put forward. Do you like Deniro any less because of Meet the Fockers? Does that change his amazing performances in Godfather II, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, etc.?
396455, Slow Down on that Frank Costanza
Posted by nipsey, Fri Aug-22-08 09:30 AM

> As for side-characters, nobody beats Frank Costanza. But
>the huge cast of the Simpsons more than makes up for it
>whether it's regulars like Lenny and Carl, Moe or Milhouse, or
>the occasional appearance by Sideshow Bob, Comic Book Guy or
>Duffman. Springfield beats Manhattan in supporting
>characters.

Ain't no way Frank Costanza is better than either Troy McClure OR Lionel Hutz! He's not better than Krusty either. Those are three side characters better than Frank.

Last 7 movies I saw:

The Bank Job: B
The Mummy Dragon something or other: D
Jumper: C-
Smokin' Aces: C+
Hero Wanted: D
The Dark Knight: B+
Hancock: C
396493, Damn I'm gettin it from both sides
Posted by Arch Stanton, Fri Aug-22-08 01:08 PM
As much as I love all three of those characters, I still think Jerry Stiller is genius in that role. But you gotta love Phil Hartman. Come to think of it, Newsradio has a really strong cast.
396527, Frank Costanza (Jerry Stiller) is funny no doubt
Posted by nipsey, Fri Aug-22-08 02:46 PM
but he's not on the level of those three I named. That's all I'm saying. To each his own. *shrugs*

> As much as I love all three of those characters, I still
>think Jerry Stiller is genius in that role. But you gotta
>love Phil Hartman. Come to think of it, Newsradio has a
>really strong cast.

Last 7 movies I saw:

The Bank Job: B
The Mummy Dragon something or other: D
Jumper: C-
Smokin' Aces: C+
Hero Wanted: D
The Dark Knight: B+
Hancock: C
396363, Mods lock this!
Posted by rorschach, Thu Aug-21-08 04:21 PM
At 97 votes, the Simpsons is winning by one.
http://i31.tinypic.com/4iehdd.jpg

The OKP® King of the Late Pass™
396530, http://www.goreydetails.net/images/items/jpeg1124562828.jpg
Posted by Gemini_Two_One, Fri Aug-22-08 03:03 PM
Mods,

Please lock now!

!sig!