Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjectOff the top, Altman or Burnett for American film
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=394164&mesg_id=394432
394432, Off the top, Altman or Burnett for American film
Posted by Sponge, Tue Aug-12-08 08:55 PM
I can't decide between them, though, Altman probably has the edge with 2 great films in the 2000s IMHO while Burnett has one and it's a tv documentary. Both of their greater works were in the 1983 to early/mid 90s period.

I think the only Scorsese works that belongs in the company of his masterpieces before 1984 is Goodfellas and Age of Innocence. In the company of those Scorseses from Altman are Secret Honor, Gosford Park, Short Cuts, The Player, and a bonus - the tv production Tanner '88. The Company doesn't have critical consensus behind it, but I think it belongs. I don't expect many to agree with me on that. Burnett has To Sleep With Anger and My Brother's Wedding. Bonus - tv productions Nightjohn and Nat Turner.

I've seen people here make a case for Leni Riefenstahl just on her filmmaking craft and artistry (overlooking the other stuff), and I don't see why some people can't apply that to Spielberg. Not saying he'd crack my top 5 or 10, but he really is masterful with visual storytelling - staging and editing.