Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn
Topic subjecttahts ebcause your 90's experience wasn't teh same as their 80's
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=386054&mesg_id=390005
390005, tahts ebcause your 90's experience wasn't teh same as their 80's
Posted by Cold Truth, Sun Jul-27-08 01:44 AM
experience

yeah, thats it

or because it's a movie.

thats the most plausable. it's a movie. a story. a story you don't like, and thats fine. i have yet to watch somehing on television or the big screen taht accurately represents anything i dealt with as a kid. not that i had anything resembling a normal childhood, but that sorta drives the point home. you don't have to relate to every aspect of the film to relate to elements on their own.

and yuo completely misconstrue the message. it's not so much that we are all the same so much as there are common denominators the run through each of us. no matter how different, there are things that we can relate to each other about. and it highlighted some of the various insecurities each of them had. the jockslife seemed perfect, but it wasn't the asshole seemed like some guy who just wanted to be an asshole, but that wasn't the case either.

so,they all come to an understanding of each other, and seeing that they do, in fact share a lot of similar issues.

who cares if it's an "accurate" representation of your high school life? or an 80's high school life, for that matter?

>No, I just felt Hughes was TRYING to make a film about
>breaking down the walls that keep people (well, different
>kinds of white people, anyway) separated from each other but
>it ended up saying, "All kids are essentially the same, and
>given the opportunity they all want to conform to the ideal."
>And for a movie that is supposed to transcend its generation,

transcendency is a bit strong.... btu it was a great movie that has stood the test of time and is fondly remembered by many.

>I don't feel like it represented my '90s high school
>experience at all.

two different eras, completely, but then since when was this a prerequisite for enjoying a movie, even a relatable one? matter of fact, the movie had zilch to do with showcasing a high school experience. it was the story of ONE experience that was shared by five kids.